Trying to Get Pensioners Back to Work

I worked extremely hard to retire when I did. Years of planning and saving, so that I could retire and not have to worry. There is no way in hell I’m going to chuck my plans, because society can’t seem to get it together. There are plenty of young people out there, leave us oldsters alone. We’ve already had our turn at the plate. :face_with_symbols_over_mouth: :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

2 Likes

If you want to start another topic about ,why it’s important for students to go to university, or why it isn’t,I would be happy to join in, this is about pensioners going back to work, so I will leave it there.:pray:

I deleted my other posts as I don’t want to derail this thread.

Perhaps I should have added this in the original Post, It’s fine if the Pensioner wants to work I’ve no problem with that, and most of those who do want to work have carried on past their retirement age already or are now working in another job like Supermarkets ect.
But it wasn’t so long ago that the young were kicking up a stink because older people were still working and keeping them (young ones) out of a job. You can’t have it both ways.

3 Likes

The kids have drained Mom and Dad, now they will after the “Bank of Nan and Grandad”. :kangaroo:

2 Likes

I heard a snippet of this on TV and I wondered if he was taking about increasing the pension age - I was thinking “Not on your Nellie!” - they keep moving the goalposts every time I get within sniffing distance of my State Pension age!

Now I’ve had time to read the article in full, I have no problem with what he said. The way he proposed it, it’s a voluntary choice and there will be no loss of pension whether you have paid employment or not.
I don’t think it’s a bad thing to encourage fit and active pensioners to continue working or return to work, especially on a part-time or flexitime basis. It may even help the NHS overall, because active people with plenty of mental and social stimulation may stay healthier longer.

Many pensioners already still do paid work and claim their state pension too. It’s one thing deciding to keep on with the job you’ve got, if you can and you want to - I know lots of people who are doing that.
What’s more difficult is finding a new job after you reach state pension age, if you have already retired or if you want to retire from a demanding job and get a less demanding part-time job.
I retired from main job when I was 60 and I have continued working part time in a voluntary charity role but finding interesting remunerative employment after 60 isn’t so easy.
If there is gaps in the job market now and there was more encouragement for employers to consider applications from fit and active pensioners, there may be quite a lot who would consider going back to work part-time.

If someone offered me a paid job, I would consider it - what puts me off going back to paid work is the faff of applying for job after job after job and not being successful, even though you know you have more than enough qualifications and experience to do it.

Leave the pensioners alone - and make all the young and idle benefit scroungers earn their keep instead!

6 Likes

And earn our keep while they’re at it.

@SilverTabby

but but but what about there human rights

I’m already 79 & I laughed at that. Have you tried B & Q, they will employ people up to 96. :grinning: :grinning:

1 Like

I already pay tax every year on my pension, because they put it up & then informed me I was getting more than my yearly allowance. No point me working for money, even if I wanted to, I’d get nowt back it would all go in tax.

3 Likes

Eh Tiffany? I might be missing something, but you’d still get paid the residue after tax, surely…

My work pension is roughly the same as my annual tax allowance. I only pay 20% on the income I get from other monies coming in.

I get it all, then a tax letter arrives to say I have to pay x amount in tax to the inland revenue because I am getting too much. I have to pay before January the 31st, for the tax year before, else they will take me to court.
Last year I got 3 tax demand years forms together in the same envelope, did not realise I had to pay tax, contested it & they said due to various reasons was why I had three together, Robbing B&stards!!! I couldn’t get out of it even though they’d not sent the tax demands each year. I ended up sending them nearly £1000, for the three years. Savings gone!!!
Oh! I could have paid in installments, but had to pay anyway.

1 Like

I reckon it wouild be better if the Medics should accelerate the principal of Brain Transfers.

We can transfer, just about, every other part of the body, between two people.

Think what could happen when we can transfer the brain!

For example, I could swap my extremely clever brain into the body of a 21 year old.

Let’s say that 21 year had been found guilty of misusing his bodily gifts through drugs boozing, etc.

Put his brain in my battered old codger frame & let me re-invigorate the much younger model…a bit like changing cars, actually.

Put his brain in my tattered old wreck & let’s see him winge about who should be “on the road” etc!

Please note: I might not be serious…!

:mage:

Ah. Not good Tiffany. As you know, if your employers don’t sort out tax, then you have to do your own self assessment online each year, which (trust me on this) is potentially quite confusing on the forms at times.

I give the task to an accountant nowadays since I’ve got several sources of income, and he knows that providing he can identify tax saving thingies that a mortal such as me won’t know about but will save around the same price as his fees, then it makes financial sense to let him do the work.

Ahhh, but does your battered old body have the energy to cope with his young brain?! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Why would I worry!

:mini: :mini:

1 Like

With mine they do it for me, it’s called something, can’t remember what, but as I said, I had no idea after my OH died that I would be liable for tax on my pension. They sorted that for me, then said three years later I had tax to pay. You can’t argue with TPTB either.

1 Like

What’s TPTB?

Edit - Google was my friend!!!

Am amazed that your pension wasn’t taxed at source!!

Who knows? Now that the site has ads, maybe it’s generating sufficient income for some pensioner(s) on here to have returned to work.

Just a passing wild thought!

The powers that be. Anyone who can take or do anything without you being able to stop it or do anything about it.

2 Likes