Travel experiences

Share your interesting travel experiences here!

Ancient Odysseys is the brainchild of Marisa Rodriguez, founder and citizen scientist.

I developed the idea for Ancient Odysseys to make it easier for travelers to join research-based paleontology and archaeology digs and work right alongside the scientists themselves.

How my passion turned into
a mission.

It all started in 2012 when, with no experience whatsoever, I joined a dinosaur dig in Wyoming. Braving the 100-degree heat and 35 mile-an-hour winds, I helped to unearth the horns, jaw, legs and frill of a Triceratops, a creature that hadn’t seen the light of day for 65 million years. It was thrilling.

​
As the years went on, the fun continued. I worked on a Hadrosaur here, an Ankylosaurthere and even joined a Neanderthal dig in Spain.

The excitement I felt working every day was matched by the sense of fulfillment that I was doing something that benefited science. And the more I told others about my adventures, the more I heard how many people had a lifelong dream of going on a dig.

The idea for Ancient Odysseys started there. I wanted to make it easy for travelers to find paleontology and archaeology digs around the world.

By joining a dig, you not only help scientists with the actual excavation work, but almost 100% of your fees fund the important work being done by these researchers now and into the future (minus the hard costs for room and board, of course).

3 Likes

Are you ready to become an international UN Volunteer?

You can contribute your time, skills and knowledge through volunteering with the UN. This is an opportunity to create a positive impact and be a significant force for achieving peace and development. Make a difference to the lives of many!

I sometimes wish I had a more portable trade like a teacher or nurse so I could use it to travel and work. But on the other hand they also get paid poorly, so swings and roundabouts I guess.

2 Likes

My travel experiences ? Lots of I suppose. Maybe a few of the more interesting. Kaseri in Turkey. has some The very interesting rock formations like tube like. Then there was Taiwan on Sun Mountain in the early morning. Beautiful. But maybe the most for me was the Sahara desert. The absence of anything.

1 Like

cheap, safe, old world quality & appreciation of fine food booze and customer service. Blue skies, yellow sandy beaches. And a genuine cultural & historic lesson: something more than a tour guide showing you their pyramids. 
 which reminds me: romance!

1 Like

My travel experiences abroad, happened when very young so not much to tell except I don’t like package holidays and I am not a fan of spitting camels.

However, travelling in and around the UK has provided so many great experiences, from idyllic turquoise seas, interesting buildings, historical sites, eccentric characters with amazing stories. Yes, the best kind of travel is staying local (UK) :smiley:

4 Likes

My most interesting travel experience was travelling from London to Sydney, mostly overland via Turkey, Iran Afghanistan, Pakistan, Nepal, Bangadesh etc. I trip I suspect would be very difficult these days.

I saw the Bamiyan statues later blown up by the Taliban, experienced a couple of severe earthquakes in Iran and Afghanistan, travelled through the Khyber Pass, raced across the badlands between Iran and Afghanistan, went on a trek in the Himalayas, saw Mt Everest, crossed the Indian/Pakistan border during their war and saw many wonderful sites along the way. The trip took me about a year (I wasn’t in a rush)

One trip I will always remember.

4 Likes

I was lucky enough to be able to travel the world all paid for by the British taxpayer, thank you.
The dress code insisted that all us travellers wore Green and have short haircuts though. I did visit Paris for two years in the 60’s for a 19 year old it was very educational and did not prepare for a my next tour in what is now the Yemen, short visits to Libya, Malta and Cyprus completed my Mediterranean holidays. Tours of West Germany, Berlin, Canada and Northern Ireland twice came and went. All the fun, games and T-shirts came to end when I left the Army but I did manage to squeeze in a civilian holiday to Trinidad

3 Likes

That must have been a life changing trip Bruce😃

That explains your profile pic Vlad! I guess being on duty overseas is different to being a civilian. Did you see any action?

Yes, I agree. Unfortunately, I travel the continent for work (it’s tough to travel in Africa) but I enjoy exploring Africa. Of course, work trips are different to holidays. But, I still get to experience new places, food, people and languages so it’s not all bad.

2 Likes

Living is a place where its cold wet and raining most of the year, your “work trips” sound incredibly exotic :smiley:

2 Likes

I have a certain empathy with that but like @Minx I have a whole continent to explore and I am.

The black lines are where I have driven so far.

3 Likes

Bruce - there’s a big patch there. The great Sandy dessert? You planning to travel overland?

Bruce, what a huge area you have covered! How different is it from one end to the next?

1 Like

Very different, the north is tropical the south east temperate, lots of deserts but no desert is like another. I love driving it. little traffic just the occasional road train to pass. The bush changes all the time. I came across this Lonely Planet climate equivalent map but I don’t know how accurate or helpful it is

It doesn’t matter how remote it is there is always something to stop and look at, I havehad to curtail this sometimes otherwise you would never get anywhere.

3 Likes

Well, I was banned from Assiniboia Inn (The Sin Bin) in Medicine Hat Manitoba Canada for ever for smacking a lady
a long story
and I did pick up a War Disablement Pension for injuries received in Northern Ireland, so yes :grinning:

2 Likes

Now I understand why so many South Africans emigrate to Aussie

Pity that it’s a long story Vlad.

How very brave you are. Good man! I hope you’re not to badly disabled. I’m certain UK citizens appreciate your service to your country!

1 Like

I have a plan to travel north from Kalgoorlie up the centre of WA and out to a place called Laverton but next year my kids want to go with me to Darwin and Uluru - places I have visited but wouldn’t mind going again. Whether that happens or not I don’t know they have to get a lot of time off work to do it.

As for things like the Gibb River Road and the Great Sandy Desert I think that ship has sailed for me but the Oodnadatta Track is possible however I have attempted it three times so far and rain has closed it on every occasion just before I arrived.

3 Likes