Travel experiences

I would love to take a long road trip along dusty roads. I do it a lot on Google street view (not the same I know), but i think just packing up and travelling for a few weeks (months?) would be a lot of fun!

1 Like

Does the rain make it impassable?

Why has the ship sailed for certain regions ( if I may ask).

1 Like

They close the road and it is illegal to travel on a closed road as well as dangerous if you get stuck you could be there for weeks with (ironically) no water.

If you notice in the video the sign said 4WD Only so if I had got bogged I would have been in big trouble.

Gibb River Road and Sandy Desert needs a lot of planning,a very tough well equipped 4x4 and lots of spare wheels (or a few camels) I am too old to dig myself out.

I do still do lots of dirt roads but usually more well travelled and graded ones like the Oodnadatta Track or Cameron Corner Road

At the end of the video two days later the Camerons Corner Road was closed for a couple of weeks

2 Likes

And just something closer to home for me. Scotland.
We lived in the hills in Scotland, the hills and braes with my handsome dog… It was wasted on me until I came back to it some years later.

2 Likes

:grinning:Thank you Minx the injury is not too bad my mobility is a bit compromised but you learn to live with it….as for the tale…
I was on exercise at BATUS, (British Army Training Unit Suffield) in Canada.
The Sin Bin was the roughest dirties grottiest hotel on the planet, ideal for a grunt on the lash, you wiped you feet on the way out!

I was sitting at a table with a few mates and a couple of big Canuck ladies one was a Lass called Bondage Becky who was chatting up one of the younger lads, all was well with Vlads world the beer and shots were flowing well, the strippers were passable when I felt a hand going into my pocket…

thinking that I was about to cop a quick feel from Bondage Becky I stretched out my legs …then remembered that my wallet was in that pocket, I leapt (poetic licence) to my feet and instinctively backhanded Becky…the scream from her was bloody awesome…then the bouncer was all over me like a rash, slapped me around and dragged me over the blue molehills (bleach powder over the vomit piles) Hygiene standards were lower than a submarines shithouse) bloody ruined my new Levi’s, and threw me out , he shouted, you’re banned! I told him to bog off and ran…in a crazy drunken sort of way around the corner to Cheetahs…another boozer :grinning:
I gained a lot of brownies points in the Regiment though……:grinning:

3 Likes

You led a rather colourful life in the army Vlad and survived to tell the tale!

Thanks for sharing.

Thank you, it was a pleasure

1 Like

The most adventurous thing I’ve ever done was summer of 1990, took a month off, travelled around France, Spain & Portugal in campervan. With Mrs d00d.

We lived in Lisbon from Nov 2001 to July 2006 … doing sod all. We had two apartments there, lived in one, lived off the rent from the other.

1 Like

I would love a camper van, just to travel around the U.K.

3 Likes

My work travels often involved visiting places where someone would point a gun at you if you produced a mobile 'phone or camera. On one of those occasions, I got to sit in the back seat of a Tornado fighter-bomber during a double engine ground run to combat rating.
I managed to get permission for one of my colleagues to use my company issued camera, as can be seen in my avatar.

I visited christmas markets in Stuttgart and Munich whilst on a couple of jobs in Germany.

My Lovely Cousin and I were nearly arrested for trying to bring duty free products into the US from Canada. We were let off purely because we had openly declared them. I think it was the liquorice the border guards were moist concerned about, not the bottle of Vice (Vodka and Ice Wine).

One of our best holidays was a tour of the whole of the UK and Eire. We drove from Somerset in England to Holyhead in North Wales, took the ferry to Dublin, drove down to Co Wessex (bottom right of the island) and spent a few days there, then a few days in Co Kerry (bottom left), the a few days in Co Roscommon (top left) then a few days in Co Antrim (NI, top right), got the ferry from Larne to Cairnryan in Scotland, eloped to Gretna Green for a night, then a couple of nights back in merry old England to visit my big brother who lived near York, two nights to visit Ironbridge, where stands the first iron bridge in the world, before heading back home to the land of the Summer Settlers.

2 Likes

In UK I travelled a great deal with work and some for pleasure. From Cornwall to Caithness. Actually, as far as Shetland and the Outer Hebridies. So where would you like to enjoy in this island of ours? The Tower of London, the Welsh Vallies, Sally Lunn’s Buns in Bath, the Kelpies…take your pick…

1 Like

I would have loved to tour Cornwall, and Scotland, not so much Wales, I was born there.

2 Likes

In Loch Lomond & The Trossachs National Park is beautiful if you like that.

1 Like

I did some sailing on Gareloch where the subs are located many many moons ago…
That’s me in the hat

3 Likes

I’ve traveled through some parts of Africa going as far North as Zambia. All of these trips have been out in the Bush, roughing it out camping and hiking and I absolutely love it! There’s nothing like a morning hike in the bush and watching incredible sunrises and sunsets.

But, for once, I’d like to try something different. More glamorous than my usual khaki pants and :hiking_boot: hiking boots!

So, I’ve just found a new bucket list item!
The Austrian Ball season! This combines my love of both music, dance and glamour! Bridgeton in reality!

But first I’ll need to prepare with proper waltz dance classes. Trouble is, it’s rather difficult to find a Dance class without a dance partner but I shall try my best!

It’s time to craft exciting dreams for me, myself and I.

There is a Ball for every community/Industry - flower Ball (florists and horticulturists), BonBon Ball (confectioners), Kaffee Ball (baristas and cafe), Officers Ball (military), Police Ball. The grandest for the elite is the Opera Ball and the Philharmonic Ball. There is the IAEA Ball for the international community! It’s a smorgasbord of Balls before the Lenten season.

What new travel items are on your bucket list?

1 Like

I have fond memories of The Cornish Coastal Path.
If I had the inclination to buy a lightweight techy bivvy and a few other bits and pieces then maybe… perhaps.

1 Like

That sounds really nice Minx, Hope you go and do it , take photos .
Ive not made any travel plans for this year yet , I did spend my 70th at the beginning of the year in the Peak district with my children and grandchildren it was my wish for a get together ,
They have arranged for me as a presant a Carriage Ride in the Vale of Belvoir which will happen when the weather is better

1 Like

I hope the weather is in your favour soon!

1 Like

Sounds really interesting! Enjoy a trip down memory lane

1 Like

Thanks…if all goes well and we relocate to Scotland then there’s The West Highland Way to look forward to!

I’ll still miss Cornwall though.