Towel storage

This might sound like a mediocre question but after today I will no longer have an airing cupboard.

I just wondered where you air & store your towels?

I have an old cupboard in the laundry with towels, sheets, doona covers and a few blankets. Nothing special.

Oh and a few moth balls to keep away silver fish

1 Like

In the airing cupboard. The hot water cylinder was lost when the new condensing combination boiler was installed, so a small radiator was fitted onto the back wall of the airing cupboard and they keeps the air moving around inside the cupboard.

2 Likes

I a drawer in the junk spare room.
If I was super rich I would only use super soft towels once before donating them to the peasants. :rofl:

2 Likes

I keep mine on a shelf in the bedroom cupboard. I know there are fancy storage solutions for keeping towels in the bathroom, or in baskets, but I’ve had tiny bathrooms so its impractical for me. But if you google “towel storage ideas” that should help with some (cheap) suggestions. :smiley:

2 Likes

We replaced our divans with ottoman beds which are much easier to store more things under. My hubby is currently looking to see if there is a way to lift the bases with a motor rather than having to rely on a variation of a weightlifters clean and jerk motion lol

1 Like

I’m lucky, we’ve still got an airing cupboard but my son doesn’t and they keep theirs on the landing outside the bathroom in one of these Ikea boxes

It works quite well because it’s by a radiator so they stay nice and dry and slightly warm and if they want a clean one they can just grab one on the way into the bathroom

1 Like

We lost our airing cupboard years ago when we fitted a combo boiler. But it’s still a cupboard & we use that.

2 Likes

I was faced with that linen/towel problem, so I requested a small radiator in the cupboard for the colder months.

1 Like

Our combo boiler is at the back of our cupboard. So that, plus the pipes, provide some warmth. Not sufficient to dry anything. But sufficient to keep things warm.

Sadly LED bulbs are too low a wattage, but the old 100 watt bulbs, were more than capable of warming a small cupboard. The same with one of those low wattage frost beater heating tubes.

1 Like

I like that - wish there was an Ikea near me.

@Maree - just been looking in Ikea on line - cannot find that lovely box. Do they have a special name for it? Have tried ottoman, blanket box, and linen storage.

Found it on Amazon. Called Ikea HOL Coffee table/storage box

Ikea HOL Coffee Table/Storage Box https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0069NA5HU/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apan_i_G9AA6HA1V3K1RXKPJQ7H?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

2 Likes

Oh no, I just looked, Melgal 70 is right, it is the HOL one but they’ve discontinued them :frowning: He didn’t pay that much for it in Ikea, about £30 I think

He made a kitty litter box out of one as well you’d have been interested in! I’ll see if I can find the photos

2 Likes

What is really scary is I have posted in a thread about towel storage.

If this is living the dream please wake me up. :rofl:

3 Likes

We don’t have any air boxes. In fact, I never heard of this.
We launder towels, then rotate using them to keep them fluffy. As for heavier blankets and extra curtains, we wash them, put them in plastic (suck the air out to save space), then wash them when we take them out in the fall use them again. Freshness going in storage on the shelf, and freshness coming out.

2 Likes

That is really clever!

Thank you!

Sorry it’s not as cheap as the discontinued IKEA one. Don’t shoot the messenger. lol.

2 Likes

Most are in the airing cupboard, but the over flow goes into draws under the beds.