Tory voters - have you gone off them?

I think there was a time when people (rightly or wrongly) respected the tory party, but over the years, thanks to everything they’ve done (see video below) I’d guess most people wouldn’t touch them with a bargepole now - even if they were once ardent supporters. Curious to hear what tory-voters think tho!

Here’s a jovial reminder of some of their recent shenanigans:

Here’s the poll (it’s anonymous):

Have you gone off the Tory party?
  • I voted for them almost exclusively - but not again
  • I voted for them almost exclusively - and still will
  • I have voted for them in the past - but not again
  • I have voted for them in the past - and still might
  • Never voted for them - and never will
  • Never voted for them - but might next time
0 voters

There was never a time when I respected the Tory party! :rofl:

3 Likes

As someone with a Labour Politician-who was a junior Minister in the Blair Government and now sits in the Lords-in the family I have never been 'on ’ the Tory Party so I can’t go off them!:grinning:.

3 Likes

The Tories think capitalism is good and Labour think it’s bad but can make it better.I don’t agree with either of them.So would always vote for the MRLP.

3 Likes

Recently I’ve voted Lib Dem … will continue to do so.

2 Likes

I long for the day when they get a candidate elected………

3 Likes

Used to be easy to identify a politicians ideology, now it isn’t, makes it difficult to come to any conclusion!!!

1 Like

BTW, I have, and still remain friends with a few Tory Voters. :icon_wink:

2 Likes

I was a dedicated follower of the blue rosette until Cameron and when he resigned just because he lost the Brexit vote, my allegiance changed and I became an ‘undecided’. That was until Richard Tice and Reform UK. Now I at least feel someone could be trying to sort this mess of a UK out.
There is now little difference between Conservative and Labour.
Reform UK (reformparty.uk)

3 Likes

My next vote will be a vote of no confidence for who ever.

3 Likes

Well, you don’t choose your friends or they choose you because of their politics, do you?

Otherwise I wouldn’t have any! :rofl:

2 Likes

Is it not a bit unfair to castigate the entire tory party just because of a recent dominance of a few? There were tories worthy of respect, but Johnson did his utmost to kick them out. This saw a significant swing to the right within the tories. That culminated in the internal election of Truss as PM - and look how well that went. After the next election, with a likely significant clearing out of tory MP’s and also (we hope) a stepping down of a few hard right MP’s, this might create a more centre-right and much more credible tory party.
(PS, I’ve never voted tory but that is different from hating all of them, and whilst a centre-left voter I still think capitalism is much better & productive than any alternative so far dreamt up. So the earlier somewhat simplistic view of left and right is probably quite wrong.)

3 Likes

Because the area I live in is a Tory stronghold for it’s MP, my vote makes no difference whatsoever to anything and I can’t change anything by voting, I’m essentially disenfranchised

But I vote anyway because it was a hard fought for right, and I like to think my vote is up there in the national vote

So I can vote for an independent if I want to without changing the outcome and sometimes I do

At local elections, we seem to alternate between Tory and LibDem, so I vote LibDem

Really, my vote is always a no confidence vote against the Tories

3 Likes

I’ll vote Tory not to keep the Tories in, but to keep Starmer out, I don’t trust him as far as I could throw him.

5 Likes

I’ll never vote for the Tories again. I’ll keep my membership because it may come in useful to tear them apart from the inside.

I’m a Reform Party member now and will vote for them. If labour get in, so be it because after 4 years of their rule the country will never vote labour again either, making way for a true Brexit focussed conservative party. By then it could well be Reform (I hope so) but in 2024 I’m voting for the party I want.

3 Likes

I’ve never voted Tory and I never will, It’s the same here as your constituency Maree, except the other way round. South Yorkshire is a Labour stronghold, it always has been except for the last General Election when a Tory candidate did creep in to one of the areas around Doncaster however, that was due to Boris promising to “Get Brexit Done” I still voted for UKIP despite being told not to split the vote. I would never vote for the Limp Dems or any party that follows a green agenda because we are all being taken for fools with all this net zero and climate change nonsense.

5 Likes

Ditto. A vote for change, we have had a lifetime of stalemate between Conservative and Labour, that and the system of voting is always in their favour. Voters need to get the message through.

2 Likes

No, I don’t think it is unfair. I believe Tory ideology and Conservatism are corrupt concepts based on privilege and the few exploiting the many

3 Likes

I’m not going to argue against that - that is the distasteful side of unchecked capitalism. The opposite of a meritocracy, purely a “who-you-know”-ocracy and a “I’m keeping what I didn’t earn”-ocracy. But, too often, Labour leans into a mindset that seems to be more keen on envy of those who are successful than it is on creating success.

2 Likes

I think that’s a myth created by the Tories to prevent fairer taxation and keep corporation tax low for the chumocracy

There are many Labour and Left wing success stories, who the Righties are quick to condemn

But promoting equal opportunity, fair pay and working conditions and fair contributions via the tax system from those who have acquired wealth from our society are important too

I won’t vote Labour again until they pledge to re-enter the EU because I think the way they backed Brexit was a disgrace (unless I lived somewhere where voting Labour would keep the Tory out, of course! :rofl:)

1 Like