Too much reliance on technology

It’t all very well relying on your phone and/or card to pay for stuff, but what happens when the system breaks down? And it will. Nothing humans have ever built or invented hasn’t broke down in the past, and sometimes with disastrous results. Systems have already failed in the past on a small scale leaving people without the ability to pay or obtain cash. Phones are increasingly risky because they are a complex piece of electronics and can fail for any number of reasons.
I do happen to agree with some posters though that paying by card/contactless is so much easier, but I will always class it as a luxury and keep cash as my main method of payment.

2 Likes

I would never knock technology because without the thermionic valve, the electric guitar would not have been produced.

3 Likes

Me too Brokenvows, use it or loose it I reckon, and I love writing/drawing with pen/pencil…
:+1:

3 Likes

Of course I write - just not pen and paper. I use a computer.

1 Like

Cash always, but I do pay my grocery Tesco big shop bill in store with a card.

2 Likes

Personally even though I use a computer or my phone most of the time I still use paper and pencil for a few things.

I have a small notebook for just about anything which lasts me years but for projects and trip planning I have a spiral bound A4 notebook to scribble in, for example, today I filled two pages with notes and calculations for a printer project I was working on.

It is not that I use it a lot, I have probably filled about 20 pages (out of 240) in the last 6 months but sometimes it is quicker and more convenient than using a computer

2 Likes

I had to use text before computers:

1 Like

:rofl: that`s cheat writing :rofl:

2 Likes

In what way is it cheat writing ?

1 Like

You are pressing keys Besoeker,it isn`t quite the same as using a pen/pencil .
I am not criticing you i may add.

1 Like

I often got told I sent you a link to your mobile. Trouble is my phone is 2g and only gets sms messages. Everyone believes you got a smartphone. I intend to keep my 2g until the service ceases in 2033.

2 Likes

It was a pen

Ahhh got it .

AFL is the same - at least at Adelaide Oval.

You cannot pay by cash, it is all card - either your physical card or your card on your phone.

1 Like

I think we all have a card of some description July, but I keep mine for emergencies and pay cash wherever I can.

1 Like

Exactly! I hate that all my medical info is on the computer. As soon as I walk in the doctor’s office, they are on the computer adding my information. I always think what happens if the system fails.

2 Likes

except some places, like OP and myself pointed out, you cannot use cash.

1 Like

I work in a Dr;s surgery.

Information is much more secure than the old days of cards in filing cabinets

Well those places will have red faces and no business when the net goes down…

I think not July. Local scallies would have to break in to steal files, but computers can be hacked from anywhere in the world…And have been…Even our own NHS ones.

1 Like

I bet they will take cash if the problem lasted more than a day.

2 Likes