Too much reliance on technology

I am at the cricket. Many people now use their phones to pay for lunch.
What happens when the system goes down?
You end up with a line of cricketeers wanting summat to eat during their very limited lunch break.

1 Like

Always carry some cash just for such an eventuality. I notice that even my youngest son, who doesn’t carry a wallet and relies on his phone has $50 tucked into his phone case.

2 Likes

I always have plenty of cash in my wallet.
Don’t know what society will do when the major technology crash occurs.
Sure thing that will come one day.

1 Like

I pay by phone but always carry some cash too, belt and braces

Besides, my granny always told me never to go out on a date with a man without my taxi fare home in my purse :rofl:

5 Likes

Yeah, that’s what my granny told me Maree…
:astonished:
:nerd_face:
I pay cash wherever I can, keep a stash under the mattress just in case…
I only use the internet on my laptop while at home…Life’s too short…Anyway, I’m off out now for some lunch at a garden centre…Spent long enough on here… :nerd_face:
:yum:

2 Likes

I keep a tenner in my back pocket. If I need more than that stick the plastic also in my pocket. I don’t use a wallet.

1 Like

I rarely use a bank card,i like money at hand.
I cant see us being a cashless society,how would you give the postie a Christmas tip etc.
Technology lets us down far too often,an example being i went to the bank to withdraw and the computers were all down,you cant beat pen and paper.

2 Likes

I haven’t used pen and paper in 17 years.

1 Like

When you go “paperless”, you don’t need a Postie, so that solves the tipping problem!
My Posties rarely deliver anything except unwanted junk mail, so I never give them a tip nowadays - especially now that my annual income is only about half the basic salary of a Postie.

One of my nephews is a Postie - he is more able to afford to give me a Christmas tip than me giving him one! :wink:

2 Likes

I always use credit or debit cards for purchases these days - I find it so much more convenient and by using different cards for different types of purchases, I can maximise the perks of cash-back rewards and discounts - it’s rather nice to get paid just for using a payment method I find most convenient anyway!

I do usually carry a small amount of cash, just in case, but I hardly ever need to use it. I’ve had the same few notes folded up in a pocket of my rucksack and in the pockets of all the handbags I use for ages without needing to use them.
I also have one credit card loaded on to my SmartWatch, as an emergency back up, in case I go out without a bag or any secure pockets to put my cards or money in - this is still in the “trial stage” for me, because I don’t fully trust this “Apple Pay” service yet.
The card I’ve added is not one I use for anything else and it is not linked to any of my other cards or bank accounts, so I can easily see if any unauthorised payments are made from it and I can easily cancel it if it ever got compromised. I’ve only used it once, just to check it works. It is rather nice to be able to go off to the gym without having to worry about taking cards and money with me, yet still have the wherewithal to pick up a bit of shopping or buy a drink on my walk home through town.

3 Likes

Same here.
I could go a whole week with no cash in my pocket as long as I have my iphone with me it can cover it all.

Pay big purchases or tiny ones equal to a few coins , and even retrieve cash from the bank machine if needed.

1 Like

I always preferred using cash for everything, at least until Covid appeared and then everything seemed to suddenly go contactless. Nowadays, I’m using contactless for everything and hardly have any cash on me.

1 Like

I do cash for small items like the window cleaner, the milk ladies, and the dog groomer etc. Pretty much else is plastic.

1 Like

I tend to keep a pound coin about my person. It’s bloody frustrating to visit a supermarket with trolleys that have the pound in the slot thingy and then realise you haven’t actually got one :face_with_symbols_over_mouth::face_with_symbols_over_mouth::face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

2 Likes

A few years ago, Santa left me a key ring with clip-on “trolley coin” in my Christmas Stocking - it’s the same size as a £1 coin, so it fits into supermarket trolleys - it is even personalised with my Name on it!
It is ever so handy if I go to a supermarket which still uses that annoying coin slot system to get a trolley.

Lots of Charities sell them as small fund-raising gifts - here’s an example of one

IMG_1196

5 Likes

Excellent!
Simple yet ingenious, thank you Boot, I’ll have to get one :slightly_smiling_face:

I printed four devices on my 3D Printer that release the trolleys in Canberra (and Aldi) - for some reason all their supermarkets have coin slots on their trolleys. One is kept in my wallet though personally I usually use one of their baskets when shopping but you never know.

5 Likes

Very ingenious @Bruce
They look like metal but if you produced them from a 3D Printer, I presume they are some other material?

They are PLA plastic, I didn’t design them I got them from a site called Thingiverse

2 Likes

What a very smart idea. I’ll make sure to order one from Santa next Christmas. :wink:

1 Like