Today I Learned

I had intended to start a similar thread but discovered there is already one that seems to have died in 2013 funny as this thread is very popular on my other forums, maybe members here are too old to learn? :smiley::smiley:

TIL… That you can’t hum and hold your nostrils closed at the same time. :smiley:

TIL Spitty can’t spell Skillful. :laughing: :laughing:

1 Like

TIL this site used to frown upon digging old threads up, now it seems to suggest them, IMO that is progress. :laughing: :walking_man:

you are very clever if you can cut and paste on an iPhone I wouldn’t even attempt it :slight_smile:

But what if I had started a new one with the same title, would that have been frowned on?:smiley::smiley:

@MrFraggle67
Back in the day or now? :grinning:

I used to dig um up on purpose. :grinning: :man_pilot:

Now.:smiley:

No, there is a more “Liberal” vibe now. :smiley:

Today I learned how to read a label on a jumper correctly :lol:

1 Like

TIL…That using chloroform to knock someone out in a matter of seconds is entirely fiction.
One more thing to get angry about when watching fiction movies. :smiley:

TIL…In 1875, the largest locust swarm in history was recorded over the Midwest USA — 198,000 square miles. (For a size reference, California covers 163,696 square miles.) The 1875 swarm was estimated to contain 12.5 trillion locusts and weighed several million tons. :smiley:

What an interesting thread it would be good to learn something new everyday .
Yesterday I learned a new word sfumato
It’s a technique in painting that means giving a soft hazy look ( think the Mona Lisa )
I had never heard of it .

3 Likes

TIL … There are over 7 trillion nerves in the human body … :smiley:

TIL…If things don’t change, they will stay as they are.

But one may have learnt that previously, but took no notice of it. :biking_man:

TIL…That asbestos manufacturing companies knew in the 1940/50’ s that their products were dangerous but kept the findings secret for years.

Yeah, what utter b’stards!! The crocidolite (blue) is the absolute killer and none of can know for sure if we have been exposed to it as it was used in so many applications :unamused:

I agree with you Bill, it’s a great idea for a thread and well done you for thinking it up. :wink:

Today I learned that I could fix a broken headphone set, my grandson had left a pair of broken expensive gaming headphones with me to see could I do anything with them, that was about two years ago, I accidentally found them in me shed this morning while looking for something else.

They have a very long lead and part of it was badly ripped, I didn’t ask how it happened, wires were all pulled apart and all over the place, about 10 different coloured wires, so I cut the bad section away, painstakingly stripped the plastic off the very fine wire ends, connected them and soldiered them individually, insulated them with fine rubber heat shrinking tubing, it took me quite a while but I wouldn’t let the thing get the better of me and I managed it in the end, there is a fantastic sound from them.
He was delighted with them, and I was happy for having made him happy. :smiley:

I’ll let you know the next time I learn something new. :wink: :smiley:

Jembo, you had the soldering skills already, and the ability to recognize color, I dispute you learned anything, you just mobilized your existing skillset. :biking_man:

Today I learned how to request a new password for logging on to OFC.
More of that learning curve that never seems to end!
:grinning:

TIL that I should not be lazy and attempt to drink water from a glass whilst on the treadmill!

Use a water bottle dumbo!

:100:

1 Like