Tiverton and Honiton by-election - Lib Dem Win

Eight people are standing in the Tiverton and Honiton by-election.

The Parliamentary poll was triggered by Conservative Neil Parish standing down.

Representatives from the three main political parties - the Conservatives, Labour and the Liberal Democrats - are being fielded.

They will joined by candidates from the For Britain Movement, the Green Party, the Heritage Party, Reform UK and the UK Independence Party, the official list of candidates said.

The poll is due to be held on 23 June.

Candidates include:

• Jordan Donoghue-Morgan, Heritage Party
  • Andy Foan - Reform UK
  • Richard Foord - Liberal Democrats
  • Helen Hurford - Conservative
  • Liz Pole - Labour
  • Frankie Rufolo - The For Britain Movement
  • Ben Walker - UK Independence Party
  • Gill Westcott - Green Party

All the candidates had to submit their completed nomination papers by 16:00 GMT on 25 May.

https://www.oddschecker.com/politics/british-politics/tiverton-and-honiton-by-election

Most Popular Bets

Liberal Democrats (2/13)
Conservatives (5/1)
Labour (150/1)
Green Party (500/1)

Is not 8 candidates to many for a local by election. Should there be a limit on candidates. Full marks to them for standing if they feel strongly enough to so do but logically they know that they will probably lose out.

It would not be democratic to impose a limit on the number of Candidates - who would decide which Applicants could stand and which could not?
Providing they meet the eligibility criteria and pay their Deposit, I don’t see why Independents or representatives from minority parties should not stand for election.

They will likely lose out to a Candidate endorsed by one of the major political parties but at least it gives the electorate a choice, if their views are not being represented by the manifesto / policies of one of the 3 main political parties.

2 Likes

It splits the vote, sometimes :thinking:

But how would you choose who wasn’t allowed stand?

I always vote, too long a fight by too many women not to :muscle:t4:

But here it’s a safe Conservative seat so my vote can’t make any diff, really :rage:

So sometimes I vote for an Independent or Green, just to show my support on the score board

If I lived in those areas I’d vote LibDem

Latest:

https://www.oddschecker.com/politics/british-politics/tiverton-and-honiton-by-election
Most Popular Bets

Liberal Democrats (1/4) - Drifting
Conservatives (13/4) - Shortening
Labour (150/1)
Green Party (500/1)

Latest:

Most Popular Bets

Liberal Democrats (1/3) - Drifting
Conservatives (5/2) - Shortening
Labour (250/1)
Green Party (750/1)

Counting will begin after the polls close, with the result expected in the early hours of Friday.

The boxes are being emptied in Tiverton and Honiton

Lords Meadow Leisure Centre in Crediton is the venue for the count being carried out by Mid Devon District Council.

Counting has now begun in Devon in the Tiverton and Honiton by-election after the full verification of votes, officials confirm.

Tiverton and Honiton turnout confirmed as 52%

Mid Devon District Council says a total of 42,707 votes were cast in the by-election.

That means the turnout was 52.3%, compared with just under 72% in the general election.

The Liberal Democrats have taken Tiverton and Honiton from the Conservatives, overturning a majority of more than 24,000, with swing of nearly 30% to win by 6,000 votes 
 :open_mouth:

Bad news for BJ 
 :mini:

Triple blow for Boris Johnson as Tories lose two by-elections and party chairman quits | Politics News | Sky News.

Liberal Democrat leader Sir Ed Davey said: “The Liberal Democrats have made political history with this stunning win. This should be a wake-up call for all those Conservative MPs propping up Boris Johnson. They cannot afford to ignore this result. The public is sick of Boris Johnson’s lies and law-breaking and it’s time for Conservative MPs to finally do the right thing and sack him.”

Hear, hear 
 :clap:

Hi

A stunning victory for the LibDems, a huge loss, not only for the Tories but also Labour.

That’s what tactical voting does.

Hi

Well if Tactical voting becomes the norm it will be the end of the Conservatives.

Yup I know it would if that translated into the general election too. But these were by-elections so can’t make my mind up what would happen if it was a general election i.e. whatever happened with these elections it wouldn’t have made Starmer PM, so didn’t really matter. I think that if Starmer does step down or he gets kicked out, that might be a different matter depending on who becomes the leader, also realistically and I think he’s been badly treated, the same goes for if Boris steps down or gets kicked out, think the only way that would happen though is if other cabinet members follow Oliver Dowden.

@swimfeeders , l believe it was a low voter turn out Swimmy?
Does that make any difference if the previous vote was high ??
Donkeyman! :roll_eyes::roll_eyes:

BIB Oliver Dowden wasn’t a “proper” minister, though:

On 24th June 2022, Oliver Dowden resigned as Co-Chairman of the Conservative Party and Minister without Portfolio as result of the 2022 Tiverton and Honiton by-election and 2022 Wakefield by-election saying: “We cannot carry on with business as usual” and “Somebody must take responsibility”.

A minister without portfolio is either a government minister with no specific responsibilities or a minister who does not head a particular ministry

In the United Kingdom, the Minister without Portfolio is often a cabinet position, and is sometimes used to enable people such as the Chairman of the Conservative Party or the Chair of the Labour Party to attend cabinet meetings.

A sinecure, then 
 :roll_eyes:

Nevertheless, another smack on the head for BJ 
 :021:

Think that’s what they call in the trade as ‘nit picking’. He was the minister who was supposed to have been doing the media rounds this morning and Priti Patel had to stand in for him.

And in the wikipedia link it says that he was an unpaid minister. But you called him a sinecure, sinecure’s are usually paid for their position, I can nit pick too you know :grinning:

1 Like

A position requiring little or no work but giving the holder status or financial benefit.

I used the word ‘usually’ and also how many searches did you have to go through to find one that suits what you said. Think you’ll find far more that says the same as Cambridge:

There is a crying need for a general election. Thanks to the lying egotistical fat oaf this government must go.