Tip: How to clean electronic devices (keyboards, phones, mice, connectors etc) use Isopropanol

Posting this while it’s in my head - if you need to clean electronic equipment never use water, instead use Isopropanol (pure alcohol), eg:

I wrecked an Apple Magic keyboard by cleaning it with a warm soapy cloth with a tiny bit too much water once - so learned the hard way :lol: I just had to clean the charging port of my phone as it had some dirt in it. This is the safe way to do it.

The problem with water is it leaves behind residues, but Isopropanol does not - it evaporates.

good stuff Azz I use it often…But cheaper on E- Bay :+1:

1 Like

How much is it on there Mike? I think I paid £8.50 when I bought it from Amazon :smiley:

@Azz ,. I’d rather drink it !! :smiley::smiley:

2 Likes

£7.20 per ltr Azz not a lot cheaper…but every penny counts

1 Like

Ah! How I miss those halcyon days when we would happily splash Freon about, cleaning tape heads, contacts etc joyously destroying the ozone layer as we worked.

These days I use I tend to use metho, I do occasionally buy a tiny spray bottle of Isopropanol but metho is so much cheaper at $5 a litre compared to Isopropanol 's $40 a litre

Edit: my mistake - Isopropanol is $40 for 5 litres Sorry but still nearly twice the price of metho.

1 Like

@Bruce ,. Wyno’s and Metho’s ? And Tetro’s too!
I wonder just which, of those is you ?
They all come at just under 100 %!
No wonder you find your money’s all spent !! :grin::grin::grin:

What is “metho”? Methoprene?

methylated spirits

1 Like

Where do you buy meths?

DIY stores like b&q will have it in the decorating section near white spirit. Camping shops might stock it too.

1 Like

So do you dilute it in order to clean a computer monitor screen? Or just neat on a soft cloth?

Plenty of advice online…

I couldn’t see anything about cleaning computer equipment. Hoping Bruce can explain his method as I don’t want to ruin the monitor screen.

2 Likes

I just read this on a computer forum in relation to cleaning monitors:

“Methylated spirit” is a nasty mixture of ethanol, methanol,
blue dye and pyridine. Do NOT use this.

Iso is isopropanol.

Paper towels and paper tissues should not be used because most of them will cause scratches."

1 Like

@Dextrous63 , It also sets your trousers on fire if you use it to light
your barbeque !! :+1::roll_eyes::roll_eyes::+1:

1 Like

Happy days eh? Used it in my trangia for cooking and making a cuppa whilst out walking, and for some experiments with my chemistry set as a kid.

1 Like

@Dextrous63 ,Yep, not quite as explosive as petrol tho !!! :roll_eyes::roll_eyes:

FWIW we use Amberclens

AMBERCLENS Datasheet Catalogue page: CPCC/1770 See all Technical Docs Product Overview This unique, multi-purpose, anti-static foaming cleaner, quickly removes all kinds of dirt, grease, stains and contamination. Ideal for business machines, office equipment, computers, cabinets, brown and white goods

I would just use a slightly damp cloth with perhaps the tiniest amount of detergent for cleaning a TV /monitor screen.

The Metho is for cleaning electrical contacts and switches not general cleaning, as Azz said it evaporates fairly rapidly. Personally I find cotton buds an excellent way to apply it to small surfaces because you can apply some pressure. It is also handy for degreasing surfaces where you might be gluing something for example.

In the far off days when more people smoked I would also use lighter fluid but a word of caution about any of these methods. A friend, or rather work colleague, used lighter fluid to clean the selector turret on his TV (the clicky ones that used to change channel) but didn’t allow sufficient time for it to dry. Turned on the TV, changed channel and the TV immediately caught fire!

1 Like