Tip: How to clean electronic devices (keyboards, phones, mice, connectors etc) use Isopropanol

I don’t know why you say “nasty mixture” it is 99% alcohol and while I agree about not using it for general cleaning (and I would say the same about isopropanol) it certainly has its place. I had forgotten that the UK adds a dye because it is clear here but the taste additive is <1% purely to stop it attracting the tax on alcohol.

Thanks for clarifying Bruce. “detergent” is an interesting word. It makes me think of washing powder.

Washing up liquid, soap what ever you like, just to remove greasy finger marks but certainly not a “wet” cloth.

1 Like

I would personally avoid methylated spirit as you never know what additives they add. Isopropyl alcohol is best for electronic equipment imo.

As Bruce mentioned, I too use a damp lint-free cloth with a little bit of washing up liquid. Sometimes you don’t even need that, and a dry microfibre cloth will be enough (the sort you use for iPad screens).

I was quoting what someone else wrote on a computing forum.

I have been using glasses wipes to clean the monitors recently - I just now had a look at the back of the packet and it says… Isopropyl, alcohol, water and fragrance are the ingredients!

You do, it says on the bottle.

I wouldn’t risk it myself Bruce.

This might be a good read for anyone interested:

1 Like

Is this like surgical spirit?

1 Like

It is.