Thoughts on shopping for someone in isolation

I’ve never thought of that before Percy.

Who’s job is it to fill the cash machines? :confused:

The trouble is over 70’s and vulnerable people are supposed to be in self isolation and yet there are special hours for them to shop in supermarkets.

There’s no way you can stay in self isolation as the system lets you down, If you don’t have anyone to do your shopping or get prescriptions then you don’t have a choice! I think something should have been set up properly in the community to help folk.

you don’t stand a chance trying to keep safe from this virus!

Conflicting advice v Supermarket Advising Customers

Today I had an email from Sainsbury’s CEO which included their up to date policy …from Monday 23rd all stores will set aside Mondays , Wednesdays and Fridays 8-9 a.m for the Elderly ,Disabled and Vulnerable to shop .

However were not the Elderly and Vulnerable told by the Government not to go out in order to remain protected ?

How do you interpret both of these conflicting statements?

We’ve gotta eat Zuleika…:frowning:

That was never going to be easy. Firstly, my local Sainsburys started that last Thursday so I got there at 7am. The doors had already been opened, the car park was overflowing with cars queuing outside for hundreds of yards in either direction and the store was rammed with people. Secondly, we all need to eat. I do our shopping once a week only. Could I ask someone else to do it for me? Possibly but I don’t think I could put anybody else through it. Am I prepared to take a chance? Not really another option so I will do it myself trying to avoid as many people as possible but then a hot shower and change of clothes as soon as I get home. We are self isolated apart from that two hour shopping session and nobody will come to visit us.
P.S. My phone never stops with calls asking me if we are both still ok. Such a lovely caring family I have. So lucky. Good luck everyone.

My daughter who works in the cafe in B&Q has just reported record queues at the tills by people clearing the shelves of paint and wallpaper…:shock::shock::shock:

EZ Rider I don’t think there’ll be hundreds queuing at my small town Sainsbury’s … forgot to say ID will be necessary .
Depends how low on things as to whether I’ll risk it in the future .

I’m assuming the alternate days will be for healthcare and key staff?

FWIW, we have our groceries delivered.

Makes sense if they are not able to work good time to do something useful. Anticipating a lot of people will be buying these now to avoid the Easter rush.

http://www.sherv.net/cm/emoticons/object/paint-and-brush-smiley-emoticon-emoji.png

That’s fine as long as they keep stock for those times. If the shelves are still empty from the day before it’s not helping.
There were huge queues last Thursday, people couldn’t park, so it didn’t help those who can’t carry stuff. I think I’ll wait until later when perhaps they’ll restock for the next wave.

On the plus side my windows are clean(ish), thanks to Aldi’s extendable thingy I bought last year!

You can’t beat an extendable thingy I always say. See, I just said it again.

My e Mail says Sainsbury’s in response to questions about that ,they will be looking at it .
No mention of alternate days within that yet Annie .

Couldn’t agree more Tess.
Even if you managed to be the first person in there, the shelves are still empty from the days before.

I would like to know why this is. Why isn’t stuff getting through from the warehouses to the shops?

If you’ve got a slot booked you’ve done better than me . All booked up at Sainsbury’s , Weeks 1,2 and 3 .

My DIL (to be), has an NHS card to enable her to go to Tesco an hour before they open to the public tomorrow, so she can go in at 9 a.m.
They cannot legally open the tills till 10 a.m. on Sundays though.
Work that one out! :102:

My previous email from Sainsbury’s concerned closure of their Cafes and restricting their opening hours to 8a.m through to 8p.m allowing the night staff throughout the night to restock the shelves .

Mups :slight_smile: that is correct but the doors open before that and you can shop.

I sometimes shop at Waitrose on a Sunday morning, the doors open at 9:45 but the tills are not open till 10.

I have got plenty of food with the exception of fresh fruit and no I have not been ‘panic buying’ in fact I haven’t bought much for weeks. I always have a well stocked larder and can make a meal out of very little .

What I think is happening here is the younger generation who eat a lot of convenience food and have no idea about keeping a well-stocked larder of dry goods are the ones panic buying.

I am not criticising them just stating things as I see it.

I have had a similar email from M&S and no I won’t be going there on Mondays and Thursdays and exposing myself to the premises and staff who might contaminate me .

Events are happening so rapidly and the Government trying to do so many things at once it isn’t surprising there is chaos.

I think when the Government has had time to sort it provision will be made for the vulnerable to get essential shopping.