This is the time to spend spend spend!

So are you planning to make any big purchases before the money we hold in our hand goes right down in value because of the developments we are seeing in the news? This would be increased fuel/gas prices, supply chain issues (even bread, cakes, etc are affected by the war - due to wheat prices). The cost of fuel will soon be affecting everything you want to buy in the shops. Possibly the worst we have seen since the 70s.

So my counter to that is to spend as much as possible on projects now. The carpets and flooring have been replaced over the last two months, stocking up on essentials, buying any stuff such as laptops, furniture, etc that may be needed in the future, stocking up on power saving gadgets such as slow cookers, manual choppers, worktop oven in case the gas prices shoot up any higher that sort of thing. Even planning the car service early and some new glasses. I should make a listā€¦

Are you doing anything similar?

1 Like

Blimey! Okā€¦er, well I was planning on buying a slow cooker and a sofa, but other than that, not really. Whats a worktop oven, btw? Just like a hotplate kind of idea? Power saving gadgets sound like a good idea mind youā€¦I was looking at this article earlierā€¦
https://smarterbusiness.co.uk/blogs/how-much-energy-do-my-appliances-use-infographic/

I also have a wind up torch, wind up radio, and lots of candlesā€¦plenty of camping things.

2 Likes

ah that is a great idea. Will have to have a look online. Do you recommend any brands?

1 Like

My torch is this oneā€¦its bright but doesnā€™t throw the light out much beyond your feet. Having said that, its about two years old so perhaps there are better ones out now.

Wind up torch

I also have a head torch (batteries required though)

My radio is this one
Wind up radio

1 Like

I just realised I have a couple of wind up torches but they are only good for emergencies where you drop your keys or something because itā€™s hard to keep the light flowing. Also a head torch is fabulous a remnant of my hiking up mountains days, and oft used on dog walking or taking the bins out.

Have bookmarked the radio - so no batteries needed for that?

Also came across this when I clicked which looks super useful

2 Likes

Perhaps a couple of spare gas cylinders for the camping gaz. We had some success with it while the kitchen was being refurbished, I actually cooked Sunday lunch on it. And Iā€™m so grumpy if I donā€™t get my porridge in the mornings.

1 Like

Oooh they look good Annie! :+1: I do have a few power banks, but the solar charger is good for a back up. (Especially in Scotland where sunshine is as rare as an honest MP! :joy: )

2 Likes

I recently threw out a calor stove OGF. It was from a memorable trip to the Latitude festival but the plastic had fallen apart. Always found it scary storing the calour in the shed, too scared to keep it in the house. It was great for heating up baked beans and eggs when camping back in the day though.

1 Like

Like father bear?

1 Like

could have been worse, he might have used the word oats instead of porridge.

2 Likes

haha true!

1 Like

The problem is that people tend to do the opposite of ā€œcommonsenseā€. I recall when inflation was about 17% people were saving when good sense meant buy before the price went up!

Saving seems to be the natural response is times of uncertainty, the Australian government is trying to persuade people to spend rather than save as they have done during the pandemic

1 Like

I have to agree with you. I have just bought a rather expensive new sewing machine, to upgrade from the one Iā€™ve had for the last 6 years. I also need a new iMac, which is going to cost around Ā£1200. Now is definitely the time to buy these sorts of things, before the prices go through the roof.

1 Like

Hi

I have a different view, time to stop spending and save some cash in the house.

I am drawing cash out and putting it in the biscuit tin.

The West is stopping Russian payment systems, they could start hacking ours soon.

Cash is king at these times.

1 Like

Those portable Solar Power Bank Chargers look useful.
I didnā€™t know such things were available - Iā€™m going to look into getting one of those - they would be useful for when we go on boating and sailing holidays.

Two projects I want to spend money on at present, a garden summerhouse and some new fencing, have already been affected by rising prices - the price of timber seems to have sky-rocketed in the last couple of years.

Iā€™m also looking for a new oven and microwave but every time I find a model I want, I find it is ā€œout of stockā€
So many home electrical appliances seem to be ā€œout of stockā€ this last year or two.

1 Like

If you are looking on line, try asking them. I was looking for a Westinghouse Freezer which was out of stock so I asked when they would be getting stock in. The next morning a girl ran me to say they actually had two left

1 Like

I have not stinted on anything since my wife retired at 60, which is getting on for 13yrs ago. If we want it, we make sure we buy it :+1:

3 Likes

No I donā€™t, I live each day as it comesā€¦I make no plans whatsoever!..and I certainly wonā€™t be spend, spend, spendingā€¦makes absolutely no sense to my way of thinking, I live by ā€œ Faithā€ā€¦

The Lord will provide

1 Like

Indeed and never have I been let downā€¦no disrespect Annieā€¦just a difference of thinking and living.