This is the time to spend spend spend!

even Jesus had to deal quickly with inflation with those loaves and fishes lol

You probably have everything you need already Pauline and you donā€™t have much room to store supplies from what you have shared. I have noticed paint was already going up in price. Itā€™s quite shocking how much it costs to redecorate.

1 Like

Annie, I have plenty of room for supplies, I have a boarded out loftā€¦as Iā€™ve said, I donā€™t think or live like youā€¦I live each day as it comes and put complete trust in the Lordā€¦thatā€™s it, I have no intention of turning this into a religious topic,:pray:

The paint I have decided to give a miss, Iā€™ve already spent enough on luxury, I mustnā€™t get greedyā€¦

I also own my house ,no mortgage,:wink:ā€¦what will be will be and there ainā€™t no stopping it, my opinion.

1 Like

I think itā€™s a good idea to invest your savings in things you need rather than let it sit in the bank losing value as long as you leave yourself a buffer for that rainy day

Paying off the mortgage If youā€™ve got one might be good, Iā€™m going to invest a bit more and buy my brothers share of a property weā€™ve been left, so Iā€™ll own the whole thing and give up my flat and move in

So Iā€™ll furnish it with long lasting stuff, do the repairs needed, look at better insulation, maybe solar panels

I belong to a frugal food cooking group, Feed yourself for a Ā£1 a day. I donā€™t need to do that but they are mostly young people coming up with some amazing cheaper recipes and ways to save money on food

And they are all very into these as an alternative to slow cookers. Itā€™s based on very old fashioned hayboxes and cooks with no power at all

Wonderbag Slow Cooker

Cooking with a Haybox

2 Likes

Pauline, I respect your faith, of course, but I think the main point of this is to prepare and be somewhat in control of the choices you make, before everything gets walloped by higher prices or unavailability. I think being prepared for unusual circumstances, isnā€™t best left to chance, in my opinion. :thinking:

2 Likes

Again, what you have just said here, doesnā€™t make any sense to meā€¦you are making your own plansā€¦I donā€™t live like thatā€¦and Iā€™m not explaining, because It will take this thread way off topic.

Therefore ā€œ respect ā€œ how the other thinks or livesā€¦I donā€™t tell you what to do or think do I?..each to their ownā€¦respect it.

1 Like

I find these kind of topics really interesting too, although I donā€™t belong to any groups on the subject. I just love how they can create delicious one pot meals from very little and feed an entire family for 7 months (or so it seems).

Those wonderbags and hayboxes look great!

2 Likes

that sounds v interesting - is it online?

2 Likes

Well Iā€™ve just ordered a laptop while you can still buy them at a reasonable price. Itā€™s something that is going to get some use and they always fall apart after 2-3 years.

1 Like

Yes but it costs Ā£2 per day to subscribe lolol

3 Likes

:joy::rofl::sweat_smile:

@Maree
I like the sound of your cooking group - itā€™s great to hear about young people getting involved in ways to eat healthily and reduce fuel usage.
Haybox cooking sounds an interesting way of doing that.
My Mum and my Great-Aunt would often tell me about everyday life in WW2 and how they managed food rations etc but they never told me about Haybox cooking.

1 Like

Finding parts for appliances and things has become a real problem too.

When we moved in here, we had a stackable washer and dryer. Within 7 months, our dryer gave out. My husband tried fixing it but said it was probably a circuit board gone. We got in an appliance repairman who said the same thing and that it would take a minimum of 4 months to get the part IF he could even get it.

Before this we were hanging our clothes on the line but when winter came so we figured weā€™d just buy a new dryer. We went into the city only to discover that you canā€™t purchase these stackable units, separately so we had to purchase a whole new SET.

3 Likes

If things do go up and money is short, not many will be able to afford them.
But ā€¦on the other hand it might cause a glut of goods they cannot shift. Then they will have to sell them at a lower price to get rid of them and recoup their money.

There are two sides of looking at the situation.

4 Likes

Yes, if we buy everything cheap now then manufacturers will make more to replace them which they canā€™t sell because nobody needs them anymore as theyā€™ve already got one so the factories have to close down and people lose there jobs and unemployment goes up which means something else which I dont understand either. Dont you love capitalism and ecomonics?

We are currently having a new kitchen fitted. After much deliberation, we chose a gas hob! But I see some interesting 1 and 2 station portable electric and induction hobs for sale in places like IKEA.

Melgal, l bet youā€™ll be rushing into town today to stock up on catfood for your cats and getting your three grandchildren their Christmas presents while stocks still last!!

1 Like

I did say I respected your way of thinking, but my point was about this thread topic discussing how to be prepared.

HELP!!!

1 Like

And my ā€œpointā€ isā€¦I donā€™t need to prepareā€¦you said you respect my faith, nothing about my thinkingā€¦as Iā€™ve explained many, many timesā€¦I donā€™t think like youā€¦I live each day as it comes, your pattern of thought is foreign to me as my thought pattern is to you.:slightly_smiling_face: