Thinking of changing my camera

I current use a little Canon Ixus 700. It lives in my handbag and comes everywhere with me. I love it dearly and it takes good photos but - it has it’s limitations - not a good zoom facility being the major one.

Have recently been looking at this one :-

Panasonic-Lumix-DMC-FZ330EBK-Bridge-Camera

It does seem to have everything and doesn’t look over complicated.

Bearing in mind I am just a happy snapper - not a proper photographer - would this be a good choice? Any advice would be gratefully received.

New camera, how exciting!

A Bridge Camera is not going to fit in your handbag, but if it’s a long reach you are looking for, I’d say Bridge is your best option.

Here’s what Panasonic have: Reviews - LUMIX Bridge Camera | Super Zoom | Panasonic UK & Ireland

All important: Sensor Size, which is relevant to number of pixels, but not always. A big sensor with big pixels is better than a tiny sensor with more tiny pixels.

The top three Panasonic options have a 1" sensor. The other two, cheaper ones, have a 1/2.3" sensor.

The best Bridge Camera on the market IMO is the Sony RX10 IV at £1.5K and that has a 1" sensor. Bridge cameras, by design, can’t accommodate the big sensors.

1 Like

Sensor size is also relevant to print size. If you only require images for internet, then 1" is plenty.

1 Like

Thank you for your advice, d00d. That Sony looks good - but is out of my price range. Will go with the Panasonic - it comes with a smart case - so not fitting the handbag won’t be a problem!

Bigger sensors allow you to “crop to zoom”

1 Like

There are some good Panasonic compact cameras with a good reach/zoom.

But if you’re happy with something bigger then go for it.

1 Like

I have no idea what bridge camera means but I have a couple of Panasonics, a DMC LX10 and a DMC TZ110, am very pleased with both of them, I use the former most of the time the second one has a longer zoom so I tend to use it more when I travel (the LX10 has a bigger aperture but only has a 4 or 5x zoom which is fine for most situations).

I don’t think you can go wrong, just look at what you can afford or what you want to spend.

2 Likes

This site compares two Pana bridge cameras …

Says the FZ82 is smaller, lighter & newer than the FZ330. Has a wider angle, more tele-reach and a superior sensor.

Thanks, d00d, will have a good look at that before deciding.

You and me both, Bruce. :smiley:

Best description I can give is - it is inbetween a small compact, chuck it in your handbag type camera, and a larger more professional model - that needs extra lens etc.,

Oh, ta Pixie. (I think) :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Ahem - I am still ‘Tabby’ Mups - what have you put in your tea this morning?

1 Like

Whoops! :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:
So sorry. I think I need some sustenance. I can feel a toasted sarnie coming on. :grinning:

1 Like

Erm…:wave: I’m over here in the corner, Mups! :joy:

It’s me age . . . . Ah . . there you are. :raised_hand_with_fingers_splayed:

1 Like

Well I never!
I’ve learned something new here. A bridge camera bridges the snapper-photographer gap.
I’m happy with my Note 8 phone but the camera on it is seriously limited. This is something I would consider buying too. Let us know how you get on Tabs

1 Like

Hi

I have a 10 year old Sony Bridge Camera with a 40x zoom.

It still does it for me.

2 Likes

DSLRs are fast becoming redundant.

Replaced by the mirrorless system camera. System cameras are interchangeable lens cameras, like the dslr. A bridge camera looks similar, but has a fixed zoomable lens.

The rangefinder style, with the flat top, is popular, usually with an electronic viewfinder top corner. But a bigger centralised EVF is better for serious wildlife photography. And these bridge cameras with super long reach are good for wildlife.

I recently bought the Panasonic Lumix DC-TZ90, didn’t want anything more complicated, as it is it does far more than my TZ70, so I guess I should really have read the manual to find out the extras. I will eventually. :grin: