The real reason so many flights are being cancelled

Just checking because it seemed very soon after your brush with severe Covid that you needed the pacemaker.

I was diagnosed long before contracting covid Annie. Due to the thickening of the scar tissue after the two heart attacks the electrical conduction had been disrupted and produces erratic heart rates. Having been a runner for over forty years you can identify even small changes in performance, and together with accurate running journals it was possible to see that I had been experiencing problems while out running for some time. This had been diagnosed months before contracting covid.

Covid attacks the weakest points in the body. So if you had scar tissue and weakness following your heart attacks it would have found a nice comfy spot in there to make it worse.

Quite a few people have had heart problems following severe Covid. I have a friend who ended up in hospital with heart problems. I have a colleague who had a heart attack recently following Covid. There’s a known connection between infection and long term organ / muscle conditions. Doctors are still scratching their heads on how to help treat some of the long term damage.

Hi

I have been unable to access any reliable source to confirm what you are saying.

Could you please help me out on this by giving me a veritable link.

I apologise in advance, I simply cannot find one.

Well you wouldn’t would you Swimmy. I suggest you frequent twitter for a while and all will be revealed. I will post a link the next time I come across a decent report. I know what you may think, but it’s one of the few places that still allow freedom of speech…To a degree.

There are hundreds of posts like these Swimmy, I don’t think they are all wrong.

Yes but what do right said fred think?

1 Like

Australia has no vaccine mandates for employment now (except in Residential Aged Care) yet there is the same chaos at airports. How do you explain that?

1 Like

There was a vaccine mandate in Australia Bruce, and you are now paying the price. As you know, once people have left their jobs for whatever reason, there will be shortages of staff later on down the line.

Latest news

Transport Workers’ Union South SA/NT secretary Ian Smith blamed the flight cancellations on staff shortages that stemmed from airlines sacking thousands of workers at the start of the pandemic.

He said staff numbers were still way below what they were at the start of 2020 and many workers had become contractors not directly employed by airlines.

So what have all these sacked employees been doing all this time ?

It’s no good having a go at me, I’m not responsible for all the shortages…If you don’t agree that’s fine.

You must know something that no one else knew because covid vaccination has always been voluntary. The only time it was mandated was for you foreigners with your nasty diseases entering the country if you weren’t vaccinated again it was not compulsory but you were thrown out.

Fair Work Australia also threw out any attempt by companies to make Covid vaccinations a condition of employment.

Aged care was the only industry with a public health order requiring workers to be vaccinated.

Any other theory you’d like to come up with?

2 Likes

Oh I’m sorry Bruce, I thought I was on a discussion forum where we can run through our ideas and opinions…I’ll leave you too it then.

1 Like

It is but it is clear that what you said about it being due to vaccine mandates doesn’t apply so you need to come up with something else.

I thought the reason for so many cancelled flights was that the whole travel system could not cope with the surge in demand, after a period when very few people were travelling.
They had laid off so many staff during the period when people could not travel and it was difficult to predict future demand, plus it was difficult to quickly recruit sufficient staff to cope with the demand.

The Tui UK managing director, Andrew Flintham, wrote to customers to explain that the company relies on a complex ecosystem of services, including its own pilots and cabin crew, as well as operational partners that cover check-in, baggage and catering, and air traffic control and airport security.

“Hundreds of flights were cancelled by airlines over the half-term break which coincided with the four-day jubilee bank holiday weekend, as they struggled to cope with a surge in demand. Carriers and airports laid off tens of thousands of people during the pandemic and have been slow to recruit more staff, with some gone to other industries and others lost because of Brexit.”

When I took a flight from Manchester at the end of May, there was loads of flights cancelled - mostly chartered flights from companies like TUI.
There was a scheduled flight about 9pm to a non-European Country, then my flight to Athens around midnight and the next flight was not until 6am the next morning to Paris.
Despite the check in being really quiet and the security checking area being totally deserted, there was still a delay in our flight setting off and Manchester Airport ground staff managed to lose a few dozen bags from our flight between the check-in desk and the aeroplane.
When we arrived at our destination, many passengers experienced the same as we did. One of the bags we had checked arrived on the same aeroplane as we did but the other one was missing.
Although there was two flights each day from Manchester, my missing bag took 3 days to arrive in Athens.

I believe this was down to lack of ground staff at the airport - and when I flew back to Manchester Airport yesterday, in the early hours of the morning, there wasn’t many flights arriving at that time of night, so very few passengers waiting at the baggage carousels - but I saw hundreds of unclaimed bags stacked in groups around the edges of the baggage claim area. I have never seen anything like it in a baggage claim area before.

Talking to the taxi driver on the journey home, he was telling us that the taxi industry was having similar problems - all the drivers who had lost employment during Covid when folk weren’t travelling around had moved on to other jobs and his firm were having difficulty recruiting new drivers for the night time taxi airport runs now that the travel industry had picked up again.

2 Likes

Deleted!!
My fault !!:roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes:

the real question is ? - is this just a simple discussion thread or a FACT exchange thread - there is a diffference and sometimes get mixed up!

@gumbud, You sre correct in what you say gummy !!
But it requires another thread ??

I cant understand why the airlines dont employ agency staff, same as
the channel ferries did recently ??
But hearing all the complaints about luggage being misplaced at airports
maybe thats exactly what they have done !!