The Queen has died

So very sad. Just a few days ago my wife and I received a card from her congratulating us on our Diamond Wedding anniversary. God bless you Liz.

4 Likes

My ex husband met her and made her laugh. He said at the time, she was an incredible lady.

Rest In Peace Queen Elizabeth, your lifelong work and loyalty towards your country and people was magnificent.
You never gave up, or let us downā€¦

4 Likes

If the reign of Charles I was known as the Caroline era, and that of Charles II as the Carolean era, what will the reign of King Charles III be known as? Any ideas?

1 Like

When I was a young child and happened to be in Harrods, the queen was walking through, stopped and told my mother what a beautiful child I was. Clearly an astute woman.

4 Likes

Very sad news, an amazing lady who carried out her duties until the end.

I remember when her father, King George VI died, I was 12 and had not long started grammar school. It was playtime in playground when Dr Baldwin, our Headmaster came out and announced the King had died. We couldnā€™t believe it and many tears were shed.

It will take some time getting used to King Charles III but Iā€™m sure he will do his best.

Rest in Peace Your Majesty.

4 Likes

May the Queen and her beloved husband enjoy Balmoral in perpetuity.

9 Likes

History has been made today by the sad passing of our Queen. I canā€™t believe that only a couple of days ago she was walking and talking with Liz Truss. Such a deterioration in just 48 hours, I think seeing in the new PM was her final act and then she gave up the struggle.
Where does this leave the future monarchy and the royal family now. I have a feeling that it will not be a good place.
RIP Queen Elizabeth ll

5 Likes

I do wonder whether those who were with her to the end will ever be able or permitted to recount her last perhaps whispered words?

1 Like

I doubt it, Gumbud, not for a while anyway.

The web is full of photos tonight ā€¦ but this is the one I like best.

1972 ā€¦ where she looks relaxed and like sheā€™s having a good time.

6 Likes

This touching poem is being posted on social media. Author as yet unknown

Phillip came to me today,
and said it was time to go.
I looked at him and smiled,
as i whispered that ā€œI knowā€

I then turned and looked behind me,
and seen I was asleep.
All my Family were around me,
and I could hear them weep.

I gently touched each shoulder,
with Phillip by my side.
Then I turned away and walked,
with My Angel guide.

Phillip held my hand,
as he lead the way,
to a world where Kingā€™s and Queens,
are Monarchā€™s every day.

I was given a crown to wear
or a Halo known by some.
The difference is up here,
they are worn by everyone.

I felt a sense of peace,
my reign had seen its end.
70 years I had served my Country,
as the peoples friend.

Thank you for the years,
for all your time and love.
Now I am one of two again,
in our Palace up above.

7 Likes

RIP Queen Elizabeth II, we will never see your like againā€¦ :disappointed_relieved:

4 Likes

Such a shock, even though Iā€™d been listening to LBC and TALK RADIO all day and during the night, when I couldnā€™t sleep.

It was this evening when I was in the kitchen, listening to Vanessa Feltz (6.30pm) that the announcement came and it was one Hell of a shock.

Amazing that she was able to receive both outgoing and incoming PMs.
Devotion to duty or what!!!

3 Likes

It has touched us all home or away in so many different ways - I promised myself not to cry this am in oz as I walked the dog - this did it later at home - just play it and feel the reaction?

5 Likes

Thank you for the lovely picture @Cinderella and the beautiful poem @Annie.

I also was in tears when I heard the news.

Rest in peace our lovely Queen.

2 Likes

Well, Iā€™ve outlived two monarchs, quite keen on outliving the third too.

PS: Tell King Charles of Australia, no need to visit.

2 Likes

Iā€™m not a supporter of the monarchy.
However when I turned on the TV there was a sombre Hugh Edwards suited and black tie .
The news really affected me emotionally.

Itā€™s an end of a era having always listened to the Queenā€™s Christmas message, as I said Iā€™m not a royalistā€¦but the queen on Christmas Day ritual in our family.
I donā€™t believe I shall bother to tune into Charles.

The queen a constant in our lives

4 Likes

The queen gave birth to someone who, IMHO, would be a real asset to the country and a good replacement monarch. Unfortunately, she also gave birth to 3 sons.

4 Likes

Charles reign will be short and will be probably be ok as monarchies go and they are going before he hands over to the last king .

2 Likes

My hope is Charles carries out his promise to prune back the hangers on . Less is definitely more.

7 Likes