The Queen has died

@Morticia Well lve never “known” any monarchs at all, lve only heard of them!
But from what lve heard she was ok ?? :frowning::frowning:

1 Like

The PM confirmed in her speech that it’ll be King Charles III. No need to speculate.

5 Likes

Ooops - that should have been Arthur - and, of course, there has been one of those.

Hard to comprehend but I like this statement Statement by the Archbishop of Canterbury on the Death of Her Majesty The Queen | The Archbishop of Canterbury

4 Likes

I am sad because she will be missed by many of her people, here and in the commonwealth. I even shed a tear because, no matter what people think if the royals, she was a monarch we could be proud of!

5 Likes

Dunno why, but this makes me feel better at times like this. Maybe it’ll do so for some of you:

No man is an island,
Entire of itself,
Every man is a piece of the continent,
A part of the main.
If a clod be washed away by the sea,
Europe is the less.
As well as if a promontory were.
As well as if a manor of thy friend’s
Or of thine own were:
Any man’s death diminishes me,
Because I am involved in mankind,
And therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls;
It tolls for thee.

6 Likes

I think it is because also she was stability.

2 Likes

Charles will be the third monarch I will have lived under

1 Like

@Dextrous63 - the blessed John Donne - I love his work and this is most appropriate. Thank you, Dex. :heart:

1 Like

I’m reminded of something the Queen said at the time of her Platinum Jubilee:

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love. And then we return home.”

RIP Elizabeth R, as you now return home.

11 Likes

History in the making . She was a good queen . So it’s to be King Charles and Queen consort Camilla who takes us into the future . It will be strange without her.

RIP Queen Elizabeth

3 Likes

Wonder why she never abdicated? Was it because she had a really high opinion of herself… or a really low one of Charles?

Maybe it’s what actually killed her in the end, it seems more than just a coincidence that this happened days after Liz Truss and Boris (and their various entourages) met her - perhaps she picked up covid or some other bug from them?

She was one in a million and I doubt any who follow will not be able to come close. RIP. Your Majesty.

1 Like

RIP very sad news. An extraordinary individual. What a fabulous life she had. I hope people now draw inspiration from her quiet strength and keep calm and carry on fortitude.

1 Like

Back in 1962 I spoke the words on joining the British Army.

• I do solemnly, sincerely and truly declare and affirm that I will be faithful and bear true allegiance to Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II, her heirs and successors and that I will as in duty bound honestly and faithfully defend her Majesty, her heirs and successors in person, crown and dignity against all enemies and will observe and obey all orders of her Majesty, her heirs and successors and of the generals and officers set over me.”
    Irrespective of private beliefs, this Oath embodies the context within which the British Army fights and operates. *
    I served her for 27 years, she was referred to by all members of the Armed Forces as The Boss

RIP Boss, thank you.

5 Likes

I think that she was going down hill after her husband passed away. Remember she was 96, she did get covid but it wasn’t too bad.
I got this off the web

Queen Elizabeth is dedicated to the people of Great Britain

Even before she started her reign, young Queen Elizabeth made a promise on her 21st birthday in 1947 to the people of the United Kingdom. “I declare before you all, that my whole life, whether it be long or short, shall be devoted to your service and the service of our great imperial family to which we all belong,” she stated in a radio address from Cape Town, South Africa.

In the 75 ensuing years, Elizabeth has never wavered in her devotion to the British people. In fact, she has renewed her lifelong commitment on numerous occasions, most recently during her address on the 70th anniversary of her accession day in February of this year. “My life will always be devoted to your service,” she said, recalling her 1947 pledge.
RIP

It was neither. It was because, on her 21st birthday, she made a vow, “I declare before you all that my whole life, whether it be long or short, shall be devoted to your service and to the service of our great imperial family”. She kept her vow to the very end.

Ah, apologies @logan1 - I see you have quoted this while I was inputting, slowly, on my phone!

4 Likes

She knew it was her duty to continue reigning, and she vowed to keep to it. Just that. Simple.

And I respect the fact that she kept to her word, right to the very end.

RIP our Queen. A lovely lady indeed.

(And yes, I was in tears too. :cry::cry:)

5 Likes

That’s ok, it happens sometimes. I’ve just found that I can copy and paste these things on my smart phone.

1 Like