The pig farmers dilemma

Looks like the pig farmers are out for what sympathy ?
They say they are going to cull the pigs for landfill.
If they are killing them why don’t they just give them away ?
To rear animals and kill them for nothing is wicked .

I never eat pork . Can’t stand they way one of the planets most intelligent animals is reared and slaughtered .

Am I the only one to find it a bit strange that of all the animals that pass through abattoirs and make it onto our menus it’s only pigs that are the subject of this publicity?
:man_shrugging:

I’m sure the other animals will have their moment too…I read a story clearly designed to pull at the heartstrings, of a farmer “having” to kills his baby piglets. Accompanied of course by a cute photo of a piglet.

Who’s looking after the pigs whilst they’re at conference demo?

Johnson’s answer to the question to this question of the massive cull of up to 150,000 pigs on the Andrew Marr show was that viewers should realise that pigs are killed all the time and then ignored the question all together.

Farmers especially pig farmers don’t do anything for my heartstrings .

When you’re being baited by the media that’s probably not a bad approach to take.
Unless you’re really saying that you what you really want to see is panic-buying of anything pork-related of course and by doing so fall into their trap, just like Keunssberg managed to start with petrol at a time when just eight out of over eight thousand petrol stations were having supply issues?
:man_shrugging:

Sorry, baited by the media is this what asking genuine questions is called these days?
Johnson does not give a damn, lying is second nature. His performance this morning on BBC Breakfast was a masterclass on how low the office of the Prime Minister has sunk.

1 Like

“Genuine questions”?
:rofl:
Since when has The Marr Show or any of the others of a similar format cared about “genuine questions” rather than their own bias?
You’ll be trying to tell us that there’s no bias at the BBC next.

And in breaking news, the sun came up this morning but now it’s raining, which is just about as newsworthy as telling us that any Prime Minister or politician tells porkies.
No poop Sherlock.

Oh dear everyone is biased against our misunderstood Prime Minister, this man of impeccable honesty and integrity, how dare they?

Because he’s the easy target and because, to put it bluntly, he’s also a bit of a pillock.
But mostly because those doing most of the biased attacks happen to be bigoted and with agendas of their own.

I spent a couple of years driving (HGV’s) for an abattoir that only slaughtered pigs. Regulations have been slowly diminishing the number of abattoirs to a point where animals are now transported many miles to be killed & butchered.

I used to transport the meat, not the live Animals, but would imagine the shortage is effecting many aspects of agriculture, not just pigs being slaughtered.

The abattoir I drove for was in Norfolk & had 3 HGV’s out every night delivering meat to wholesaler’s every morning. The common deliveries I did were Norfolk to Bristol, Avonmouth & sometimes Cheltenham & home. Liverpool meat market & home. Croydon, a location close to Sevenoaks & then Essex & home. Rainham, Canterbury, Essex & home.

So high mileages every night. Normally starting at about 11pm & finishing at around 1 - 2 pm after steam cleaning the trailer out. And unlike most loads, meat is not unloaded by forklifts etc. You have to climb into the trailer & handball it off on your own shoulder & that involves moving 20 tons or more. How many drivers want that for the same money as a load which others unload for you?

Then give it away so families can eat it , why just bury it , a family would be grateful for a nice meal I’m sure .

1 Like

They don’t have the people to butcher them.
Johnson made no plans for the lack of workers after Brexit and now we are reaping the problems.

It’s better for the animals not to have to travel before they die .
The farmers could give them away ( already dead ) or sell to anyone who ones to butcher them themselves for the freezer.

1 Like

Because killing pigs involves a lot of money. They have to use an HGV, which costs a reasonable amount to run per mile. An HGV 1 costs about £3000 to road tax for example. As I said most slaughterhouses are miles from the farm now & an animal killed on the farm by a vet cannot go into the food chain. The extra cost of killing to give away is large. And all the slaughter house does is kill the pig, gut it & hang the whole carcass, butchering the pig costs extra.

While I agree with this on the surface, maybe it’s not that easy.
Do farmers have to pay for the abbatoirs.
Do they have to pay for the meat inspectors?
Do they pay for transport and collection to/from the abbatoirs?

If so, I can see why they are not likely to cough up these charges, then give the meat away for nothing.

If however, the process was for free, then Yes, of course they should give it away to those that need it, and not use landfill as a way of disposal.
What I haven’t heard about it, if farmers just bury the poor creatures, who makes sure they are dead first?

The farmer is already in debt after raising & normally buying the pig to raise. Pigs eat food & need bedding & the buildings cost business rates. So the extra cost of transporting to the slaughterhouse & then the cost of slaughter is a significant extra cost. Animals cannot be slaughtered for food on the farm. But they can be euthanised by a vet.

Yes, and then as you say, they could not be used for human consumption - plus vets fees for that number of animals would not come cheap either.
It’s an appalling situation and I feel for the animals that will suffer either way.

1 Like
  1. Someone has to. And if the meat remains the farmers, then yes they pay for the slaughter.

2. The cost of the vet at the abattoir is part of the cost of slaughter cost.

3. Again, someone has to. A few farmers have their own HGV’s, but even if they do, there are still significant costs in owning & running an HGV legally. An HGV 1 for example uses around 6- 8 miles per gallon. A 17 ton rigid around 10 miles per gallon. And owning an HGV means you have to have an operator’s licence, with planning permission for using the site for HGV’s & have to evidence things like maintenance & checking tachograths etc.