The petrol crisis

Bravo Baz, excellent post…We just can’t keep buying stuff from the otherside of the world and expecting no payback…Both economically and environmentally…

1 Like

Hi

Spot on OGF.

We need to shorten supply chains and bring manufacturing back to the UK.

We are in the hands of France, Russia and China.

None of which I trust

2 Likes

I think that we have become used to getting our stuff by “next day delivery”.

Can’t imagine how many trucks are crossing the world to fulfil the needs of, say, Amazon, to achieve this.

First thought is that this makes little difference, but I was reading, somewhere, that the Lorries don’t wait to be filled up, before driving to wherever, they work to time instead of amount!

Can’t argue with that.

How did we get so dependant on someone else’s Gas pipe, Electricity cable, Oil pipes.

They’ll all “turn the screw” to get what they want from us!

Time to get some more from the sea & the shale.

Time to look at Nuclear Power, a bit more.

Time to build Lorries!

1 Like

Hinkley point is being built as we speak, chinese and french money behind it though.

Doesn’t help a perceived petrol crisis though.

@ Tedc, Yeah , your right, but how many times must we do
this?? We’ve been there and done that all before !!
Who is it that decrees that we give up doing things ??
I doubt we have the capability to rebuild again though ??
Donkeyman! :weary::weary:

At some point surely the NIMBYs must decide that producing our own gas, electricity & oil is a better option that being held to ransome and as a consequence seeing prices go stratospheric?
:man_shrugging:

1 Like

Indeed.

Hi

The problem is with politicians.

There are huge reserves around Gatwick, very easy to get to.

If these where up North, it would have been all systems go.

Things like this suggests otherwise:

1000 objections!
1000 NIMBY’s who would obviously rather be held to ransom with higher power prices.

We have an oil extraction site not far from our home at Singleton and unless you were told about it and had it pointed out to you, you wouldn’t know it was there.

1 Like

We have the same very near us too, but mention the extraction of anything and people have what seems to be an irrational fear of who-knows-what consequences they might risk exposing themselves to.

1 Like

Hi

Nimbys win everytime on first application.

Overturned by Government on appeal.

The system is fixed, no first applications in Government Areas.

I’ve not heard or seen anything about the petrol/diesel shortages for a few days so, is the crisis over? Can Boris get on with his holiday without worrying about it?

What makes you think that he worries about anything ?

2 Likes

It seems to be quiet on the petrol front, & the only helpful news I could find is
here:

1 Like

Thanks Zaphod. It seems that it’s still a London-centric crisis problem then. I know that all our supermarket petrol stations were fine over the weekend.

I know that on Friday there were still places with a few problems but given the panic that Laura Keunssberg started it seems only natural that some densely-populated areas will take a little while to return to normal.

It seems to be other people that are more worried about Boris’s holiday bless them.
:rofl:

1 Like

I noticed in Tesco this morning as I parked to collect a trolley. Their unleaded was being put up by 3p as I crossed their car park. 3p in one jump is only the start and I wonder how long it will be before the £5 gallon (4.54609 litres) hits the forecourts?

It’s already here, LD. Our Tesco’s E10 is £1.40.9/lt = £6.41/gallon.