The petrol crisis

Folks need to stop “Spouting”. :laughing: :biking_man:

Exactly. :+1:
It should have been stopped immediately.

Wrong @Zaphod …(shakes head)…

My electricity supplied by British Gas on a variable tariff is:-
21.147 pence per kWh…
With a standing charge of 31.546 pence per day.

It was 26 pence per kWh until about two years ago.

Just as a matter of interest…My Gas, supplied by British Gas is:-
3.429 pence per kWh…
With a standing charge of 31.213 pence per day.
I’m just about to connect my cold fill washing machine (water heated electrically) to the hot supply from my gas boiler… :115:

No, I’m not wrong OGF.
:smiley:
The UK average just now is around 15p/kWh * and " From 1 October, [Ofgem]says that for a typical direct debit customer it will work out at 21p per kWh for electricity and 4p per kWh for gas." according to the Guardian.

Yours made my eyes water OGF.
:grimacing:
21.147/kWh and 31.546/day is a bit steep even on a variable tariff IMHO and for comparison my MIL who lives alone and uses very little and is with EON is paying 20.32/kWh & 23.78/day.
Mine - partly because we’re a family and use more - even on a new contract are 18.866/kWh & 25.2/day and that rate is guaranteed for two years, but up until around a month ago I was only paying 14.423/kWh & 14.28/day and that was a variable rate which was why I changed supplier.

1 Like

@Zaphod , Do read you right Zaphod ??
You pay. less per KW hr than your MIL because you use MORE ??
I thought it was all about using less power ??
Your MIL should be paying less in theory ?? :grin::grin:
I do know it’s to protect the really big users of energy from
paying the the full price needed to run their business, but it
means that the domestic user subsidises the industrial user
whatever way you dress it up ?? ??
Donkeyman! :-1::frowning::-1:
BTW, How did we get on this subject ??

Their might be encouragement for us all to use less @Donkeyman but it’s the usual story: profits.
They make far more money out of me using more electricity than they do out of my MIL that uses next-to-nothing in much the same way that my butcher makes far more money out of my buying my meat for a week than he does by selling my MIL one pork chop and four links of sausage.
:grin:

@Zaphod , Yes l know but, why should granny have to pay for
the gas for the the rich man’s furnace to enable him to become
even richer ??
The mantra of this government is THE USER PAYS ??
It seems not in this case !!
Donkeyman! :-1::-1:

But Granny isn’t paying for anybody’s gas except her own and she is buying precious little of that.

Using small amounts of things is in many ways more problematic than overconsumption and blaming the person providing the service for charging a little more to those buying less is not only illogical but potentially dangerous.

For example if our butcher only supplied people like Granny with her single pork chop and four sausages every week, the first thing to happen would be that the price of that pork chop & those sausages would rise because the rest of Mr Pig would be wasted, and Granny still wants her pork chop and four sausages next week and the week after that too otherwise Granny will be very hungry.

The inevitable consequence is that the butcher shuts up shop because Granny and her pals stopped buying their pork chops and sausages from him, and now Granny and her friends either have to do without or travel further for their meat and the butcher is out of a job.

It isn’t greed but plain old-fashioned logic in the same way that physical bank branches are now far fewer in number as a consequence of people using electronic methods, or why large department stores are largely a thing of the past because people buy online.

@Zaphod , of that were true Zaphod , using the “user pays mantra” then granny would pay the same price per cubic metre of gas as the furnace user, when in fact he should be
paying a surcharge for using scarce resources ??
Your local butcher anology doesn’t work because the butcher does not have a monopoly ??
For instance there are about four family butchers in Melton to my knowledge :hugs::hugs:
Plus three supermarkets with their own butcher ??
Donkeyman! :+1::+1:

Why?
If I buy more of many things I get a discount & that is pretty much a standard practice (a pack of 12 eggs is cheaper per egg than buying a pack of six, and a Kilo box of Cornflakes is cheaper per gramme than a 250g box of Cornflakes ), although there are exceptions BUT I don’t now of anything that as a consumer you pay more per item as you use more, do you?
:man_shrugging:

Neither does any power company have a monopoly any more; that’s why competition which has led to lower prices BTW was introduced.
But you still missed the point I think, that being that unless you make money with whatever you sell you will go out of business, which is why so many power retailers have gone bust.
And as we are being warned, the consequence is higher prices.

The army will start delivering fuel to petrol stations from monday.

1 Like

@Zaphod , The way l see it, is that we appointed too many
so called energy supply companies to administer the
sale and money and money collection side of energy products ??
Thes companies have no connection with the production or
distribution of electricity or gas, they only oversee the management of their customers ! The gas and electricity are
supplied from a single source and hence have a preset price
which these so called suppliers have no control over !
consequently they derive their profits from adding a “mark up”
to these preset prices,( thus increasing the actual price of the
product)!! The only “completion” is amongst these (many)
so called suppliers as they manipulate their mark up to
compete??
The reason they are going broke is that the government
applied a " cap" to what they could charge, but, then the real
price of energy went up due to international demand leaving
these so"called" suppliers out of pocket ??
That’s my take on it anyway Zaphod ??:thinking::thinking:

I had thought the shortage issues had eased right off in my area, but now the weekend is here, the queues approaching the only filling station with fuel remaining has lines of traffic effectively blocking the whole area. They can’t all be running on empty!

1 Like

Plenty of diesel and petrol here in South Yorkshire LongDriver, come up and fill yer boots…
:+1:

Just came back from Chigwell,most if not all the petrol stations were closed with no fuel signs displayed.

I suspect people are now running out again and need to full up ?,especially those who rely on there vehicles for business.

So much for things will be back to normal in ten days !

1 Like

I depends where you are and maybe in the attitudes of the people in these localities too because as OGF says and as I have seen too, we have no such problems.

2 Likes

The fact there are far more people and cars in the south east doesn’t ring any bells ?

1 Like

Hi

Some fuel here now, but soon runs out.

There is a big problem with bulk deliveries of diesel to haulage depots, agricultural contractors etc.

This has a knock on effect, with bare shelves in Supermarkets.

Locally it is mushrooms, one of the big growers has no diesel for it’s yard.

1 Like

Nope, or at least not necessarily.
More people & more cars = more petrol stations.
The lighter the colour = the more petrol stations per registered car.

1 Like

The more empty fuel stations .