The petrol crisis

I topped up yesterday and there was only two other cars there, so no problem.
No diesel though.

Just a thought, but why can’t the ambulances have their own pump in the hospital grounds somewhere? Buses do. You don’t see double decker buses queuing in garages!

Filling up loads of extra cans should be totally prohibited too. It’s just plain greedy, or they want to flog it!

Don’t know what is wrong with the Press, its not as if they are out to sell papers anymore is it? :grinning: :biking_man:

In my opinion we are short of HGV drivers because in the short term it is due to covid and tests and lessons being cancelled. But in the long term it’s too expensive to train and take a test. I paid out about two grand for training and taking the HGV test, I failed miserably and after two more unsuccessful attempts ran out of money. The examiner who took me for the test asked how often I was driving a lorry, I pointed out that due to the cost of training I could only afford to go out with the instructor once per week. He said that was just not enough and that most of his students were put through their tests by the company they worked for and drove lorries every day for a month before applying for a test. It is almost impossible now to be set on by a haulage company and have your training and test paid for, they will only employ already qualified drivers. How can someone who is currently unemployed afford to change jobs and pay for the training necessary.
And besides, most 21 year olds would much rather go into jobs in computing where you can spend your day in a nice warm office, or even work from home…

1 Like

It is an arduous occupation. I have about six separate memories of encounters with ‘my’ truckers over the years, the Up, half past three Monday am, eleven point five hours on the road, the layby, burger king, the piss in a bottle until Saturday afternoon rolls around again. Catch wife in bed, the next door neighbour. But you are never here, she says. I am now until tomorrow morning, enjoying her Strictly Come Dancing and a salad finally. Wash my wagon, to death, death.

1 Like

Driving an HGV is physically very easy these days as most are highly technical automatic and have nice warm cabins ,but there are a lot of rules and regulations to know and of course the skill to manoeuvre a massive truck safety around our busy roads and get into tight unloading bays. The reason why there are few drivers is that the pay is low and the hours long .
Jobs in computing pay more it’s as simple as that .

1 Like

@spitfire , Well spotted Spitty !!
Donkeyman! :+1::grin::+1:

I am astounded by the idiocy ( admittedly as reported by that paragon of truth the DM ) I see among people filling plastic bottles and bin bags full of fuel.

I’m amazed that it is permitted.

It isn’t but nobody is stopping them, possibly in the hope that Darwin’s Law takes care of such idiocy.

1 Like

@Muddy ,Me too, there was even a care worker loading several small plastic
Containers full of petrol into the rear seat of her car !!( not even into the boot?)
All it needed was for one of the containers to have a leaky top ??
The garage manager should not have allowed her to fill the containers ??
Why didn’t he ??
Donkeyman! :-1::frowning::-1:

That’s a sacking offence if a worker doesn’t notice someone filling up on fuel using regular containers. I used to work at a supermarket forecourt when I was at Uni and we had to be able to have full view of the pumps at all times. Of course, if there is only one of you on…and you are busy serving someone, its not always easy to spot…:woman_shrugging:

Hi

Simple fact of life, no other Country is having this problem.

No other European country is paying as much for gas and electricity as we are.

We have a failed model of Free Market Systems, time we changed it.

54000 HGV licenses are still blocked at the DVLA to get approved.

The DVLA needs to go back to work.

Wrong.
It is a global problem, and I posted elsewhere about China seeing almost half its industry affected by power supply problems for one example but here is another:
https://www.reuters.com/business/energy/europe-tries-soften-blow-surging-power-gas-prices-2021-09-22/

BTW, as I write this the average cost to consumers in Germany of one kilowatt-hour of electricity is 26.43pence (30.54cents) and that is still rising. Here in the UK it is under 15 pence, with OFGEM saying that in October the “typical” bill will see it reach 21p/kWh.

1 Like

Allowing the medical staff and carers priority is fine in theory - but what happens if teachers can’t get petrol so miss work, schools could close and then those medical staff and carers with young families would have to take time off to look after their children! The solution is in the hands of the public - stop panic buying!

3 Likes

I’d like to see how petrol stations can implement this priority system for key workers. As far as I can determine its a non-starter.

Just do what @MargaretF says and stop panic buying. The problem will soon go away.

Outside our Sainsbury’s petrol station this morning there was precisely 1 car in the queue waiting to enter the forecourt. In the forecourt there were 2 Sainsbury’ staff members guiding the drivers to vacant pumps. Not a problem for us though, we still have ½ a tank of petrol left from our last fill up 2 months ago.

Hi

It is simple to implement, we did it last time.

No sticker no fuel at the nominated fuel stations.

Sky News today
06:00 the problem will last till Xmas
13:00 the problem is almost over

2 Likes