The healthy eating challenge!

Ok partly to get rid of the baked beans on weetabix post but mainly because I’ve finally started a healthy eating binge now that we might be “seen” outside in more skimpy clothes and have to shed the trackies and sweatpants.

So the question is what did you eat today that was healthy? List anything that you have had today that qualifies as healthy food and if anyone wants to join me in increasing the proportion of healthy to non healthy each day then you are most welcome.

Today for healthy food I had a banana for breakfast, then avocado, wild rocket, baby plum tomato, tuna, iceberg, coriander and green pepper salad with chili oil and lime juice dressing. I also had a nectarine and kiwi dessert (we are not going to discuss the 2 creme eggs, jaffa cakes and twirl bar).

So what did you eat that was “healthy”? :smiley:

1 Like

I had Oatabix for breakfast (with milk and sugar, so perhaps not that healthy), a banana & yoghurt for lunch, and…some toast & sardines for tea. Had a big dinner yesterday, so trying to balance it up.

[I]not talking about the crumbly biscuits I dunked in my cuppa about 3 o’clock[/I]

Oh I love the idea of toast and sardines!

Well if we are not mentioning the bad stuff, then I had a banana.

Everything I ate today was fairly healthy :slight_smile:
it was a light day (my version of the 5-2 eating method)

Breakfast: Organic jumbo oats with a little milk,

Lunch : homemade celery/leek/ pea soup with a small homemade wholemeal bread roll ,
Stewed gooseberries.

Tea: celery/apple/ a tiny piece of cheese,
a kiwi fruit.

Tea and coffee

Had fresh salmon. Is that acceptable? I mean it isn’t burgers or Kebabs…

I would think it depends on what you had with it - and after it! :slight_smile:

Salad. Oh yes, ranch dressing…

Breakfast…Porridge (made with semi skimmed milk) with a sprinkling of walnuts, and Honey…

Lunch…Mackerel sandwich, with On-the-vine Tomato and mustard…

Evening Meal…Mashed potato, mixed veg (carrots, Broccoli, peas and Cauliflower) and Cod in Breadcrumbs with parsley sauce.

Supper…Toast and a mug of hot water…

Breakfast

Full Irish - what else on St Patrick’s Day!

Lunch

Leek and Potato soup with Garlic Bread - all home made.
Half a pint of Guinness

Dinner

Gammon steak with Colcannon, Carrots and Dillisk.
Double Jameson’s

Maybe not the healthiest - but delicious - diet starts tomorrow!

Meg I have two questions :

1. Are you vegetarian?
  2. What is the 5-2 eating plan? is that where you eat light healthy food for 5 days and then have some yummy stuff at the weekend?

How do you stave off cravings? (sorry that’s a 3rd question! :-D)

Thanks for giving me a giggle ST and making me hungry! Happy St Paddy’s day! :smiley:

By the way dare I ask what is a “full Irish” and does it include fried bread & black pudding?!

Hi Annie :slight_smile:
I am an almost vegetarian ,I do eat meat occasionally.

The 5-2 (diet) was devised by Dr Michael Mosley but it is a lifestyle not a diet for me.
For 5 I days I eat what is normal for me (approx 1500 calories from healthy food I don’t count every calorie ) then I eat less for 2 days.
It was originally supposed to be 800 calories for 2 days but I have about 1000 and the 2 days don’t need to be together.

I don’t really get cravings these days. I have been following this regime for almost 4 years . When I did I would eat some celery, a little carrot or tomato or a few almonds.
Eating healthily is no hardship for me, if I can’t for some reason I crave my way of eating .

‘Yummy stuff’ for me is dried apricots and nuts. When I make cakes for the family I will have a little one but can live without it.

Shed the trackies & sweat pants?
Whatttt?:shock:
I wear leggings. :-p

What did I eat that was healthy.
A big salad with lettuce, tomatoes, cucumber, mushrooms, celery, spinach, red pepper, hot pepper, green olives and pickled beets sprinkled with a handful of trail mix. :mrgreen:

Stewed gooseberries?
What are gooseberries?

Lunch - A veggie sushi roll with carrots, cucumber, avocado, asparagus, brown rice, and nori, loads of pickled ginger, wasabi, and low sodium soy sauce.

Snack - Homemade kale chips, oven baked with first cold pressed olive oil and a little salt.

Dinner - Fire roasted poblano pepper stuffed with quinoa, garlic, carmelized onions, oyster mushrooms, roasted grape tomatoes, spices, and an asiago cheese crust. Side salad of dried cranberries, walnuts, pineapple, apple and lime. 21 grain dinner roll with avocado.

Little green round hairy fruit - very delicious

http://www.joannayumyum.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/gooseberries.jpg

Reading all your healthy eating foods has made me realise how unhealthily I eat especially in lockdown…I seem to have drifted into an …oh what the heck attitude. Ok I can do this… today is the first day of the rest of my life…no more pies :slight_smile:

Traditional full Irish is bacon, egg, sausage, white pudding, black pudding, saute potatoes, tomato, field mushrooms - all fried and served with Soda bread (fresh or toasted) and butter.

Modern (American) version sometimes includes baked beans and hash browns.