The frozen planet

Yes I’m sure that early man armed with sticks and stones and probably only numbered worldwide the equivalent of the population of London were responsible for clearing the world of mammals…

Try reading the article Foxy it might inspire you to some intelligent responses .

Foxy, they didn’t have a big meeting on Sunday and forge a cunning plan of what to do a week on Thursday.

The internet is awash with these and contradictory theories Muddy…Whatever did we do before computer modelling?

Oh shucks I have used the M word so a perfectly reasonable post relevant to the topic is now awaiting moderation .
FGS

Go out with our family and friends, and bludgeon any passing mammals by the sound of it.:wink:

This is delusional thinking .
The baby boomers had children who are now coming up to retirement .
Also we had had huge amounts of people coming to live in this country .
These people ALSO GROW OLD .
They become pensioners
Lots of them

I think that since the introduction of skype etc and 24 hour rolling news stations people have forgotten just how big this planet is Dex.

We know you keep reading them …….

As you know, many mammals have adapted to a fairly small area of land, with associated vegetation and/or other foodstuff appropriate to their needs. It wouldn’t really have taken much doing for some nomadic tribes or other related human expansion to take over an area and make the region uninhabitable for the related mammal, possibly even eating the meat along the way.

And we know you don’t Muddy, that’s why your arguments are always one sided.

On the contrary my arguments can always be backed up by genuine scientific articles .

I would imagine that such a calamitous occurrence would not just make dinosaurs extinct but mammals also, including us. So how do you suppose man has made more mammals extinct than even an asteroid strike?

As a wild initial guess, I’d imagine that large animals require large quantities of food which wasn’t available in bulk anymore.

Mammals come, and mammals go Dex, weather patterns change which makes places inhabitable for even us. I suspect that we might be next on the hit list…
But as an aside…Most of the mammals on this picture are still alive and well…Survival of the fittest…

1 Like

@OldGreyFox , AHH but ! When the hunter gatherers became farmers is when
things went wrong , land was cleared, fences were erected , fields were deep
ploughed etc!etc!( exactly what is going on inthe Amazon right now!)
People stopped wandering around, to tend their farms ! And started living in
large communities for security reasons, these became the cities we have now !
Regarding the paper industry, Besoeker is correct, paper is made mostly from
pine trees, in a properly run forest new types of pine can reach maturity in
10yrs, this means that two trees can be grown where only one grew before !
So the paper industry is not to blame for deforestation.What it can be blamed for
is the replacing of indigenous trees with pine ?
Furniture, Farming and house building are the real culprits! OH yes, and now
Forest fires ! :worried::worried::worried:

Apparently following an asteroid strike with such velocity, would have plunged the earth into darkness for months due to the debris released into the atmosphere. Nothing would have grown. Wait a minute…I can see the sky now, nature must have put things right…But I hear on the BBC we are heading for an armageddon after burning so much fossil fuel…

Foxy we weren’t around at the time of the dinosaurs .
We had yet to climb out of the primordial slime .
The asteroid probably did kill off most of the mammals except those that lived in burrows or in the sea . These survived the initial heat storm and the following global winter . They developed into the mammals we know today .

1 Like

Actually paper IS responsible for a huge percentage of deforestation.
The global population use a massive amount of paper everyday .

Maybe in a few more million years, some other creature will dig up the detritus of the world we live in and make a curious use of it. But in the meantime, surely it makes sense to at least try to ensure that what we do does as little harm as possible to our own survival as a species?