The extreme kindness of strangers

Some of you already know I share my home and life with a young Ukrainian widow and her twin 4yo daughters. They arrived in just the clothes they stood up in, with some essential paper work and a few personal items in one journey battered case. A cased musical instrument, a Bandura, was hauled with great difficulty all the way to Krakow Poland in the hope that too could be brought with the young lady. This hope was not to be fulfilled, so she left it behind with someone who was helping in the refugee centre. That helper not only looked after it, but also was found through various contacts and this morning about 2 hours after leaving here for work, her cased Bandura arrived well wrapped and safe. She has been so long without her instrument, she had given up all hope of ever seeing it again, but the people I have been in contact with have shipped it to me here. This will be a very welcome surprise when she arrives home here from work.
This great act of kindness goes to show that there is hope for us the human animal in this otherwise daunting world.

15 Likes

Beautiful story! :slight_smile:

Kindness happens all the time. I see examples of it in r/humansbeingbros. People going out of their way to help animals, other people, children. But these things don’t get played as much as the other events.

3 Likes

Wonderful,Wonderful, News,…:heartpulse::heartpulse:

1 Like

That also applies to you sharing your life and home with the three refugees. My respect.

2 Likes

Seconded.

@LongDriver - what a heart warming story, LD, it is good to know there are still kind people - including yourself and your wife - in this world!

1 Like

This really touched me , I didn’t know LD . Do keep us informed won’t you and let us know how she and the children are .

I offered my spare room but have heard nothing even though on the register

1 Like

I think it’s strange that you were not contacted Susan, but it might be worth trying to follow up concerning your entry on the register. My application was made mainly through Jewish channels so perhaps more pressure was exerted to speed my charges along the exit routes, although I’ll never really know what the unseen immigration pressures were in place at the time.

1 Like

I can now add that when S arrived home here from work yesterday late afternoon, her face was very good to see when she saw her bandura. Her first action was to check it over, tune it with the key and then start playing. One very happy young lady then ate her evening meal with more jest than usual and her daughters were as pleased as I was with the result :+1:

2 Likes

So true. We are all capable of kindness, it comes easy to all of us. But it doesn’t sell like stories of unkindness.

2 Likes

She’s a very lucky young lady both for the return of the instrument (had to look it up) and having you as a host during such a stressful time for Ukraine.

2 Likes

I consider my self to be the lucky one. She is very loving and her twins are absolutely gorgeous. Between them they have brought glee into my home and put the spark back into this previously foot-dragging old man. Now I’m renewed with not only a purpose again, but also I feel revitalised in body and soul. I hope they will stay and eventually become UK citizens as they enjoy so much here and I can see changes in them on a weekly basis :+1:

5 Likes

This makes a lovely change from reading everyday news. Thank you Long Driver.

You sound really chuffed with having them stay with you and let us hope in time we will see a video of her and the children perhaps dancing to the said instrument.
Thank goodness there are still some very thoughtful and good hearted folks in this world such as yourself and the helper who has taken the trouble to make sure she gets her Bandura.

Heartwarming post. Thx for sharing Mr Driver.

Much respect to you for sharing your home with this lady and her young twins, LD.

Such a wonderful act of kindness.

Lovely story… :slight_smile:

the Lord moves in mysterious ways…to perform!

I have been lucky to been the recipient kindness that I couldn’t reciprocate at the time. I was in hospital for quite a while… Neighbours rallied round especially supporting my dear wife. Sometimes little things made the difference. I was beginning to walk a bit more and one of the nurses walked for a stroll everyday and that was lovely… But I wore slippers. Not good. I liked my walking boots. One of our neighbours worked at that hospital and she brought my boots. For me that was kindness I won’t forget.

4 Likes

Aww. That’s so nice! You do have nice neighbors. :smiley:

We do. I don’t know if it particularly this community but it works for us. And we reciprocate. My wife cooks and bakes and offers then around to neighbours. Next door printed some documents fot is when our printer fell out of ink. And we walked Ozzie for our friend. Community spirit.

3 Likes