The extreme kindness of strangers

It is like that where I live as well - young offer lifts to older folk without transport. Older folk look after children while their mums go shopping etc., If ever I needed help I could knock on any door in the street and it would be given. It is lovely.

I think itā€™s like that where I am now. The amount of people I have spoken to who have said to me ā€œif there is anything you need, let me knowā€. I had one lovely lady offer to pick up milk for me as she was going to the supermarket anyway, and I was heading to the local shop where prices are quite high. She drove slowly down behind me shouting out of her driver window ā€œLast chance, Iā€™m going now!ā€ Made me laugh :joy: So kind.

1 Like

And this afternoon we had we had black berry pies. Our neighbour picked them and baked them and ate ate them!

1 Like

I will never forget the kindness of a couple from when we moved to Spain. Me and John were strangers in a strange land having sold up and moved over there. We knew no one, just each other

One day we were in a Supermarket and a woman approached us asking us if we were English, I think we stood out like sore thumbs, like all the English do over there lolā€¦ We got to chatting and we really got along well with them. they were a lot older than us and from that day on Joyce and Ed took us ā€˜uinder their wingā€™

We moved there in mid November and were to be spending Christmas just the two of us but Joyce kindly opened up her home and gave her day up to entertain us. She made a wonderful Christmas dinner and we just had a really lovely time.

She became like a surrogate Mother to me and John, she was a very strong and opinionated woman but she sure did have a heart of gold, just as Ed did.

We became very good friends and used to go out together regularly.

They moved down to the coast from the inland town we lived in but they still kept in touch with us and regularly invited us down there or they would come up to us.

She was a seamstress and she made Jako (our parrot) a cover for his cage which we use to this day when itā€™s Jakos bedtimeā€¦incidentally Jako shouts cover yā€™up mate which is Johns cue to get the cage cover out. Amazingly intelligent bird, always round the same time every night too!!

Back to Joyce and Ed, we were sad to leave Joyce and Ed behind when we had to return to England but we kept in touch. Sadly joyce took a fall in the April a few years back which triggered a cancer and she died very quickly after, in the September. Ed is all alone over there and it breaks my heart that he is so lonely.

He is now 87 and we ring each other regularly, I worry about him because he doesnā€™t cope well without Joyce and also he has numerous health issues. I constantly ask him to come home to England and Iā€™ll look after him but he keeps saying he canā€™t. I guess he feels too old for the move, I donā€™t know?

It may not sound much what they did but it is something that really touched John and I that they opened up their home to 2 strangers just so we wouldnā€™t be alone that Christmas.

Iā€™m filling up typing this because we really did care a lot for Joyce, so Iā€™m sending love up to Heaven right now, because I know that is where she isā€¦THANK YOU JOYCE, we love you always.

I just wish I could repay Ed with the kindness that they gave us and take care of him.

Kindness indeed, one that will never, ever be forgotten.

4 Likes

Fantastic result @LongDriver