The dreaded Wasp season

I read yesterday, that this hot summer has been perfect for the wasps to breed, and we are in for a plague of them.

I really, really, dont like wasps, and like Sheba said about moths - I can’t be in the same room as one.

So what, if any, repellents, traps, do you use and find most successful - or don’t you bother?
Yes I know they do some good in the garden, but that doesnt make me like them and I don’t trust the evil little blighters one bit!

I tried those Waspinator thingys last year, but not sure if it helped, or there weren’t so many about last year anyway. Has anyone else had any success with these?

2 Likes

I loathe wasps. They come out in force in September up here, and due to bad pointing on the roof, they have made themselves ever such a cosy waspy commune. I daren’t think what will happen when they all swarm out. :scream: Bit of mixed reviews on that waspinator…I may consider one though :+1:

Oh dear, Pixie. Sounds like you will have to get the council pest control people in.
I’d be scared to go out the door with a nest that close! :honeybee:

When I was maybe about six years old and a few of us lads decided we could investigate a wasps’ bike. Bad idea !. Evidently I was allergic to wasp stings and I had to go to hospital. Decades later and I still fear them the bloody things…

1 Like

Oddly enough I haven’t seen very many of the little sods around this summer.
My dad taught me how to make a simple wasp trap, probably more of a distraction than a solution but hey ho it worked!

1 Like

Tell me how? I might need one…

1 Like

I’ve read that the Asian hornet is making its way across the British isles, now they are nasty….

Okay,
Here’s the modern version.
Cut around a plastic drinks bottle, approximately two or three inches from the top, there’s your funnel, pop your funnel upside down into the body of the plastic bottle, it will fit.

Pour in some water ( (wasps can’t swim) and smear some of what ever the wasps want just around half way down in the funnel.

It actually works, upcycling to boot :wink:

1 Like

Ahhh I get it, yes…they can’t climb back out if they go inside the funnel bit can they? For example, they won’t eat, say, honey…then be able to wiggle back out without touching the water? Just checking…wasps are wily buggers! :smiley:

No…they drown :wink:
Maybe give it a go?
It’s just a little something you can knock up when you’re out and about, in a beer garden for example.
It’s not about war on wasps , a distraction is sometimes good enough :slight_smile:

1 Like

They do us all more good than harm.

1 Like

we use a Jam jar filled with water, with just a little Jam smeared around the rim , the wasp will drown feasting on the Jam .

2 Likes

I’ll try that too, but only if I see them. I don’t want to attract them in the window and have them think there’s a party going on! :joy:

2 Likes

Heaven forbid!
Before you know it the midges will turn up, you’ll have a rave on your hands, not that you’ll get any sympathy from me :wink:

1 Like

Oh my goodness, the dreaded midgey rave :scream: gosh clearly you have not been exposed to one of them…yet. It’s a sight to behold, lemme tell ya! Once they start biting and the people start scratching, well…all hell is let loose.

Thank you for your non-sympathy. It’s not appreciated.

I’m slamming my windows shut. :crazy_face:

2 Likes

Chilly, I am trying to visualise your bottle trap idea.
So when you cut the neck of the bottle off, then turn it upside down and poke it back into the bottle, should part of the nozzle neck go under the water?
I cant quite get this picture clear in my head yet. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

No Mups, the depth of the water is largely irrelevant, an inch or for the wasps to drown in at the bottom of the bottle is fine, keep your funnel dry and away from the water, the wasps tend to slip and slide, job done:-)

Thankyou again, Chilli.
I still can’t understand why they don’t have a slurp on the jam/honey, or whatever, and then just fly off again though.
I will try it and let you know how I get on. :slightly_smiling_face:

Ooh, one more thing - how much water shall I pour in the bottle please?

1 Like

Your welcome Mups,
I’m never going to get a job on Blue Peter but just to clarify, enough water for the wasps to fall into is fine,
Just keep the little blighters clear of the bottom of the funnel:-)

1 Like

Was watching Tenable on ITV a couple of days ago. Warwick Davies said that if you wanted to keep flies out of the house, then leave bunches of lavender near doors and windows since flies apparently dislike them.

Wonder is there’s a similar deterrent for wasps. Seems a shame to destroy/kill such a useful little blighter.

1 Like