The Dog Lovers Thread

I have just responded to Rosemary’s post on FB.

Sorry to hear this sad news, RIP Alfie. Oscar will miss you, as will your mum and dad.
Sending hugs.

1 Like

Many thanks everyone for your kind words of comfort, he really was such a gentle soul and will be fondly remembered as one of the nicest dogs we have ever had… :disappointed_relieved:

3 Likes

Barry I am so sorry .
It’s so sad to lose a dear loyal friend they steal our hearts and then they leave .
But he has a good life with you and you did what is right for him .
Muddy

1 Like

Barry I am so sorry I missed this earlier.

We’re all with you both in thought, and all us pet lovers know how painful this is, even though we know the time is right. I know you will have done everything possible for him Barry, and have now made the bravest decision of all.

Gentle hugs for you all, his little friend will miss him too. x x

2 Likes

@Barry Oh Barry I have just found this news about Alfie :icon_cry:
I am so sad for you, I din’t know he had cancer…

How old was he.

I loved reading about Alfie and Oscar, CP are such a lovely breed. My sons dog Nova has made me think about getting one myself.

1 Like

Many thanks @Meg , Alfie was just eleven. He had a cancerous growth removed from his tummy earlier this year and although the vet said she thought it hadn’t spread, it appears that it had, and he has been on strong painkillers for awhile now. He had also been showing signs of dementia over the last year or so which was advancing at such a rate, that he was even getting lost in both the house and the garden and was even failing to recognise us! The final straw was yesterday morning when he collapsed on the lawn and couldn’t get up crying with pain, so we decided it was his time, albeit it broke our hearts to make that decision.

However, we have found him a sheltered spot in a favourite part in the garden and he is now at peace, but still with us in spirit. No doubt we will speak of him often in the years to come, he certainly was a very special character who will leave a huge void in our lives…

3 Likes

@Barry, sorry to hear of Alfies demise.

1 Like

We buried Alfie in a shady spot at the bottom of the garden where he used to lay on hot days. We had this small marker made for him and Rosemary planted a few bedding plants and sprinkled a few wildflower seeds around. Hopefully it will make a nice area to remember him by…

8 Likes

We went and picked our Alfie up from the kennels after being away for 15 days , he’s been running around the garden and now he’s flat out horizontal like a lizard drinking.

2 Likes

That’ll look lovely when everything grows, Barry, and little Alfie will always be with you. I like the headstone too.

I usually buy a perennial shrub of some sort when I lose a dog, then every year when it flowers and looks beautiful once more, I think of them.

How’s Oscar been?

2 Likes

That will look great when all of the flowers have come up.

2 Likes

Thanks @Mups , Oscar has been fine actually. When we brought Alfie home we let Oscar see him and he hasn’t been any different to his normal self since, in fact I think he is quite enjoying being an only dog… although we aren’t spoiling him you understand… :crossed_fingers::grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

2 Likes

That is very touching @Barry and it will look lovely when the flowers come out.

It’s good to hear Oscar is coping well.

1 Like

That is lovely, Barry.

1 Like

What to do on a wet morning in June? …

What else… :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

6 Likes

He looks so comfortable
Berry had the same idea this morning, he did what he had to do and wanted to go home because it was raining.

1 Like

Our old fella uses the bed to rest his weary head.

5 Likes

Not a very clear picture, but here it is anyway. :grinning:
My lovely Izzy, upside down in her own little comfy dream world.
Sadly she is no longer with us.

6 Likes

My dear old ‘Mups’ looked like she’s been partying for her birthday all night!
I have lost this beautiful girl now, too. :cry:

8 Likes

Curled up forever in your heart.

2 Likes