The 2011/2012 Football Season - Fans Thread

I am sorry Arsenal lost, I like Wenger too Hammer. Not got into the game yet, I used to think your team was called cow and beef and thought it a funny name Jem, I also like the name Hamilton Academicals.

You are right Annie, cow and beef, corned beef, you name it they’ve been called it, but the boys in blue take it all in their stride. When we lose we laugh, when we win we go hysterical.
PS. We are always laughing:-D.(sounds like something Sam Goldwyn would say)

Good spot John,
Arsene did look a bit detached from the rest of us. Perhaps he was trying to tell ‘Pingpong’ something.

Maybe you will get a result at Telford tonight, Steve Tilson needs to get some motivation in the players.

Hammer, deep joy, a 2-1 victory. A sub called Kyle Perry(who strangely enough used to play for Telford) came on with 15mins left, and got two goals in 4 mins. Maybe JC himself was in Shropshire tonight! Onwards and upwards.

Great news John, only one way for the Imps now:lol:

Talking about The Imps in the Blue Square it seems strange to see so many once established old football league sides in that division now, the price of failure does carry a nasty sting in the tail but looking at it the other way around haven’t Crawley Town made a great start to life as a league club?
I am hoping that this evening Liverpool won’t be another big name casualty against Exeter City in the Carling Cup, I still wince when I think of Northampton Town :blush:
I agree that Pool deserved their win at the Emirates but there again, I am biased.
Hammer, I have heard that Joey Barton is interesting West Ham, oh dear me!:smiley:

Yes Bob strange times indeed and how the mighty seem to start to fall and keep on dropping.
My dads club Charlton did a spectacular fall from grace in a short spell.
Transfer news is all over the place, I read that Scott Parker could slot into the Arsenal and Nasri has finally left the Gunners for Man City.
As for Barton, it has been mooted for a while now that he could team up with his mates Nolan and Allardyce, heaven help us if it comes off. A permanent 10 man formation would be the norm.
I have also read he could find solace with QPR so that might help.

It seems that Spurs and Orient were not flogging their tripe’s out over the Olympic stadium as against all that is fair, they have won a judicial review over our club being allowed to buy it.
I cannot understand how the money men can keep on appealing until they win a prize whereas we get nothing from any appeal made.

I must confess it is one court day I hope we lose, I grew up close to the Boleyn, it is our home and where we should stay. The other stadium is a soulless, concrete monstrosity and we will never make it work despite what the spitting cobra says about it.
A white elephantine mistake.

Finally, we entertain Aldershot tonight so anything could happen as last night proved.

Ok it has to be said I am not a football fan as such. Last night I watched Wengers team play and no wonder he sits with his head in his hands, so I have to go with the saying "Only them as knows their own knows"meaning I shall be a loyal Manu fan and take an interets in Liverpool. Sorry lads.

Unfortunately Hammer, it did happen, do you think that the result may have been different if your lads had not had a player sent off? Ifs and buts I know but not a very good start for big Sam at all.
I can at least breathe easily after Pool overcame Exeter away by 3-1 with Suarez once more amongst the goals and assists, Andy Carrol too scoring one, together with Rodrigues.

Given the way things these days Bob I was not unduly surprised by our result. Whilst we should really be sorting out our attempt to get back to the Prem we should also pay due deference to any competition and opposition.

The Carling Cup and to a lesser extent the FA Cup don’t seem to conjour up the magic they once did.
I have felt for a long time that a lot of the so called ‘better’ teams disrespect the opposition by the players that are sent out to play in the early rounds of the comps.They seem to forget that for the ‘minnows’ it is an opportunity to fill their stadia and put in some badly needed cash.
More than that is the memory of possibly playing against the best the country has to offer.

I can remember even at the lowly amateur level I played at, being made up to play in cup matches against some of the teams way out of our league and to beat them on a rare occasion was magic.

I saw a quite a few FA Amateur Cup Finals at the old Wembley Stadium with teams like Bishop Auckland, Hendon, Crook Town and Walthamstow Avenue.
The enthusiasm was every bit if not better on many occasions than seen at more illustrious competitions and always a maximum crowd turn out.

Some of the attendances are so poor these days they announce the crowd changes to the teams, I rang up Burnley the other night to ask about the kick-off time against Barnet and they said, " we will wait for you".

Attendances are pitifully low I agree but as well as the meagre fare dished up by under strength teams in cup competitions the
clubs themselves are steadily killing the game with increases in admission prices at most grounds, at least the Exeter fans got to see some “big names” when Liverpool visited.
I see West Ham are playing down the road from me on Sunday, Forest have not had that auspicious a start themselves in the league even though they cruised past Wycombe Wanderers in the Carling cup so it will probably be a close call whatever the result

I hate to agree with Neil Warnock, but he hit the nail on the head by saying the Carling Cup was no big deal. The same applies to the Europa League. Teams just fart about sending out a scratch team in both competitions.Its an insult to fans and the sponsors. The real gold is obviously in the Champions League. Thats why Manchester City have spent bucket loads of money to more or less buy that competition, or the Premier League title.You weep for someone like David Moyes, who has’nt got a pot to pee in regarding transfer budgets.I never thought I’d agree with a cap being put on a clubs finances, like UEFA suggest, but after seeing what Man City and Chelsea are about, time for a level playing field.

Absolutely spot on John.
I saw Bill Kenwright on the box the other day and he looked like the whole world was on his back.

Couldn’t agree more John, there has got to be a ceiling and the sooner the better!

A generally good weekend, Bolton did not trouble the reds at all with a comfortable win at Anfield. The way Dalglish has them playing at the present time this could be a real good season for them.

That said, others are not standing still. ManU heaped more trouble upon Wenger and the Arsenal with a masterclass in destruction both of team spirit and skill levels. I have a long standing and high regard for ‘H’ but the Spurs Chairman Dan Levy is another kettle of fish so I had to crack a grin to see them crash and burn to Man City.
All the more enjoyable when we witnessed this demolition at White Hart Lane.Priceless.

For my club, an away win of some merit.
One difference stood out, the Carling cup game against Aldershot was a debacle simply because we did not prepare and look at the opposition.
This game showed we had done our homework. We knew where their weaknesses were and we punished them especially in the first half.

I would not be so cruel as to label the Forest manager Steve McClaren with any derogatory epithet but he did look a bit glum after the match, in fact before and during really.

Sadly not all went according to plan for our fans teams, I am reading that Darlington beat Lincoln City at home this afternon, not many details yet but sorry to hear this John.
It must get better.

Hammer, another stinker. They were 3-0 down, until a goal back on 70mins, so 3-1 it finished. Only consolation I suppose, is that Darlington were also in the league proper till recently. A draw with Stockport at home(also recent Div2) 1-1 Friday, was painful as well. Congrats to you for making Mcclaren probably regret coming back to the homeland. Poor Arsenal! At least Arsene can’t get anymore haggard looking!Don’t speak french do you Hammer? Might be a position waiting for you down south.

It really does look like Wet Ham have got the “nervous at home” syndrome running through the team at present, another 4 goals and victory away from home as they cut through Nottingham Forest like a knife through butter. Are the fans at Upton Park maybe a little too loud in their criticism as soon as matches start? Who knows but it could have an adverse effect on some players. One of my sons went to see the match at the city ground exclaiming that he thought that the Hammers were well on the way to being favourites to get promoted, now let’s see them play so superbly at home!
What can I say John, looks like Lincoln will be in for a tough season as things stand.
Liverpool are enjoying a very good start to the season so far, it’s to be hoped the good work continues right through the season.

Ah aucun mon ami, je devrais alors apprendre les secrets du piège off-side d’arsenal célèbre.:wink:

Blimey! I’ll take my hat/beret off to you monsier Hammer. The only offside at Arsenal at the moment,is the reverse, the side has gone off! Anyway bon chance in your new post. Thats the job by the way, not your next post on here! I better go for a liedown, or un repos.

Nice to be able to enthuse over an England victory away from home and in a European qualifier, they cruised to a 3-0 victory over Bulgaria so let’s hope they play as well against Wales on Tuesday at Wembley. Well done England (I notice that Germany have qualified already):frowning: