The 2011/2012 Football Season - Fans Thread

What a bugger, they never televised the France Ireland rugby match and I was waiting for it. Blimey.

I am a couch supporter who ā€œsupportsā€ Man U - I try to watch all their games on TV, the same goes with all England matches.

My poor home team was relegated to League 2 last season:blush: but I will still catch up on them through the newspaper :smiley:

Mixed fortunes for the ā€œbig gunsā€ in the Premiership, champions Man United managed to scramble a 2-1 victory at West Brom thanks to an own goal, Arsenal stumbled to a 0 - 0 draw at Newcastle with new boy Gervinho getting sent off for slapping Joey Barton (thereā€™s a novelty) who was yellow carded whilst Chelsea were held 0 - 0 at Stoke, elsewhere Liverpool were also held at home, drawing 1-1 with Sunderland and Luis Suarez fuffed a penalty.
West Ham started life in the Championship with a creditable win and 3 points at Doncaster so there you go George, onwards and upwards :slight_smile:

I lost interest in Football when the premier league was formed and seeing how money was going to control it. Football is not a sport these days it is a money making past time.

http://http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/14528104.stm

This is football!!!

Good luck to all who support it and to YOUR team, I am sticking to Mother Natures battle with the environment.

Oh what a shame, the link doesnā€™t work for me so canā€™t comment.

Come out come out wherever you are Hammer! Rejoice in 2 back to back away wins for the first time in years, you should maybe be feeling a bit friendlier towards big Sam? :smiley: A decent start to life in the championship, will be interesting to see how West Ham perform against rampant Southampton when they clash, even the shambling Cole managed a goal!

I think Hammer must be in a state of shock at the moment.Heā€™d gone out and bought a rabbits foot, worry beads, horseshoes, and a prayer book. Not needed after TWO wins together. Better call him Happy Hammer if this keeps up.

I have to admit I had serious doubts about our direction after witnessing our first game and loss against Cardiff.

The worry has subsided a little but I remember vividly being in the top three at the start of the season and fighting for survival at the end. It sort of comes with the territory of being a long term sufferer.

I still donā€™t like Allardyce or his methods but if he gets us somewhere then of course I can live with that.:confused:

What do I know anyway? most every manager that I have liked has ended up departing on bad terms and failing.:confused:

To be fair I did like Ron Greenwood, John Lyle and the Big H and they did alright :wink:

Let us hope we can do the job in hand at the first time of asking and then I will be a very Happy Hammer.:smiley:

I still have the feeling that you will be pleasantly surprised as the season unfolds Hammer even though I am an eternal optimist and look on the bright side:-D
Maybe Liverpool will get a good result at the Emirates, not one of their most happy of hunting grounds as was the case with Highbury but hey, letā€™s be positive!

With my positive hat on Bob I see the reds getting a result at the Emirates. The complete Arsenal setup seems to be in a state of flux at the moment so they might be vunerable.

There is of course the ā€˜wounded animalā€™ syndrome to consider but we are being resolute and strong here.

Is there any truth in the rumour that Ryan Shawcross was being touted as a new centre back?
He is as hard as nails and uncompromising but could do a job of work if allowed. I know Tony Pullis said he was staying at Stoke but we know what money does to the resolve of the owners.

We entertain Leeds at the Boleyn on Sunday, a good result will help us along nicely. I read in our mag that young Zavon Hines has joined Burnley, a bit of a shame, he was an Academy find and looked at one stage to light up the place.
In any event I wish him well.

Good luck to us all.

Twenty years ago my Son (Man. City Supporter, by the way) said ā€œDad you have to follow some team, everybody doesā€. To please him I took a look at the Saturday fixtures and selected the team at the bottom of the Scottish third Div.-Cowdenbeath. Every week I would follow their (I was going to say progress, but they never progressed) games to see how much they lost by, and all the lads in the pub had a great laugh, but I stuck with them through thin and thinner. I even made myself a silver ring with the crest on it (see profile album) to show how proud I was of my underdog team. I soon forgot about football again until about a year ago, a builders providers van was parked outside the pub with the cowdenbeath flag flying out of the window and when I went in a big cheer went up ā€œHeres the other supporterā€. A Scottish lad living in Dublin had heard about me and wanted to have a drink with me, we had a good time that day. So lads, next time your team loses, spare a though for me:-D

Priceless Jimmy, a brilliant encounter for you. Where else would a complete stranger buy you a beer?.

You see the great game transcends all ills :wink:
As to your last point, given my clubs penchant for clutching defeat from the jaws of victory I would normally have said that I willl be thinking of you every match day.

I am though, changed and full of optimism for the season but will cast an eye in the direction of the scottish results from now on, Blue Brazils anyone?. :cool:

Blue Brazils is bang on Hammer, blue they may be but Brazilians they certainly are not!:smiley:

A great story that Jemflux, thank you, it really made me smile, have you ever been over to see them play at their home ground?

No, not yet Bob. The Son is always asking me to slip over to Scotland with him for a break, he has friends over there and Iā€™m sure he could arrange to take in a Cowdenbeath match while there, I would like that and when I do I will tell you lads all about it.
I think a lot of the lads in the local are secret Cowdenbeath fans now because when I go in on Sundays they are able to give me the results without me asking and if they scored, who scored. In the early years I had to take a right slagging ( If you are easily embarrassed, donā€™t follow Cowdenbeath:-D), I got great fun out of it and would always start singing that old Sonny and Cher song, 'The ā€˜Beath goes onā€™, now they all sing it. Maybe some day the team might adopt it.:lol:.

As thename gives it away its ā€œThe Toon Armyā€ for me:-)

Hello Geordiegirl, you will be a happy bunny this evening then, the Toon having seen the Mackems off 1-0 and at the Stadium of light! Great rivalry up there.
That makes for more than one happy bunny on here at present,
besides yourself there is Hammer, Jemflux and of course myself:-), long may it last!

:-):-):-):-):-):slight_smile:

Not quite so happy tonight Bob although, glad to see the reds did the business on the Arsenal even though I did feel sorry for Wenger and think he may well walk soon.

Maybe your lads were a bit fortunate with the second goal but thats the way of things and an away win against them was long overdue.

I am not quite sure what planet Emanuel Frimpong was on and young Lucas Leiva was lucky not to get a bad injury.

I watched the Chelsea match on ESPN and thought the baggies deserved a bit more from the game. I see that the presenters are still no better and the insane idea to let that complete numbskull Robbie Savage loose on the box must rank as a classic blunder.The pillock is a buffoon who admitted last night his entire career was built on cheating.

Geordiegirl will be pleased with the Toon result but I was wincing throughout the highlights, to say that game had an edge is putting it mildly, a lot of talent being wasted conducting mindless vendettas.

Our game this afternoon? well, hard to find positives.
We set off at a rate of knots and dear old fumble feet Cole grabbed another goal in quick sticks. It went downhill after that, we got pegged back after taking the early lead but still looked like earning the spoils when the advantage was regained on the hour mark. We learned nothing from the Cardiff game and conceded the winner in the first minute of added on time.

Once more the perenial problem, we failed to clear our lines. Herita Ilunga was again exposed as the weak link in defence which led to the goal that earned the visitors a point - and one that even I would find it hard to begrudge them. Leeds, to their considerable credit, proved to have done the homework and set their stall out to play football and not just defend.

It is astonishing to me that a midfield consisting of Nolan, Parker, Noble, Collison and Taylor could not dominate a supposed inferior 4 man midfield and it showed.

Fortunes always hiding, and iā€™m still searching everywhere.:twisted:

Couldā€™nt believe it was 11years since the Reds won at Arsenal. Poor old Wenger rubbing his head furiously. As it was pouring down, I thought the Frenchman was washing his hair! ā€œOn my head and shoulders son!ā€ As for ā€œPingpongā€, he should have been sent for for that dreadful haircut alone. My lot Lincoln City are finding life in the Blue Square a tad awful. One point from three games, two at home. They say thereā€™s always somebody worse of football wise than yourself. Canā€™t think of anyone at the moment. Keep the faith everyone.