That time of year again

My GP practice has text me twice this week already, inviting me to book this year’s Flu jab.

Have you been notified yet?
I wonder how many will have it this time, on top of all the other jabs they’ve had this year?
Will you?

No, I haven’t been invited for a flu jab yet.
We’re still in the middle of a hot Summer so it’s a bit too early in the year, I think - but when I do receive an invitation, I will go for a flu jab later in the year.

Hi

No, nothing yet, surgery is just posters about sun cream.

Nothing about the flu jab yet. But I was texted To come for an interim diabetic blood test. You might have thought a diabetic blood test once a year would be enough. No, my diabetes demands to be checked 2-3 times a year. Damned needy diabetes.

Booked ours months ago, due in September…

Thats what I thought too, Boot. A bit early.
I dont think they are starting them until September, just asking us to get it booked in advance I suppose.

Amazing how we can’t get appointments for anything else though!

Hi

GPs get paid extra for meeting their flu jab target

It is all about money Mups … if they can prevent you catching viruses they don’t need to pay for your care, If you are already ill they hope that you will seek advice from the Pharmacy , where you have to pay for the medicines. That saves them time, as well as money on prescriptions that the NHS help subsidise!

2 Likes

Yes, I expect you’re right, Twink.
Everything seems to come back to money somewhere along the line.

It’s a bit early for flu vaccinations, they last about 6 months so have them too soon and you wont be covered for the main flu season up to April.

I think the GPs may be trying to juggle getting them done along side the next batch C19 boosters the age 70-75 are due to start soon I hope.

1 Like

I have never taken the flu jab .

1 Like

Flu jab …Seems rather early I’ve not had a summer cold yet

Definitely not!

I haven’t had any kind of cold for about 40 years now!

2 Likes

Wow that has to be a record !

1 Like

It’s more about preventing hospital admissions during winter when there are the highest pressures on services. Flu vaccinations are a big cost in themselves.

There’s some severe strain of bird flu this year that is headed our way from Oz.

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/laninf/article/PIIS1473-3099(22)00503-5/fulltext

No flu jab for me,iv`e had enough chemicals pumped into me to last a life time ( re-covid ).

3 Likes

That is exactly what I was saying when I said:-

A lot of the hospital admissions are people who get these viruses & have other health problems so suffer more!. Flu vaccines are not as expensive as having to care for vulnerable cases in hospital.

My point was that it’s not about saving money but about reducing winter pressures. If they wanted to save money they wouldn’t provide it at all as it’s a costly programme. If they provide a programme and then people don’t have the vaccine then it’s a waste of money that could fund something else such as cancer.