That time of year again

I have a very robust immune system and I protect it well! :smiley_cat: :smiley_cat:

1 Like

I dont look at the NHS accounts & i don’t expect you do either, but as somebody who has survived cancer & have had flu jabs since they were introduced, without problems, I am in favour of funding both.
Widespread use of the flu vaccination could save up to £28.9 million per year in averted sick day costs, in addition to increased productivity at work. so if we consider how badly the covid pandemic damaged our economy we will be back in the same position if a Flu pandemic arrives.
Cancer research was doing very well until Covid arrived and dramatically reduced it, so I would hate to see the same happen again with a flu pandemic that could have been avoided.
I contribute to British Heart foundation research, via a small lottery and I know many of the public are currently contributing to MND research.
Perhaps it is time we realized that The NHS don’t fund a lot of research they try to keep people healthy, but if we want more research into serious illness perhaps we should all contribute £5 a month to an illness research of our choice ( as I do with the British heart Foundation) because the NHS are cutting cost since Covid!

On the bright side, if you become a winner in the lottery ( I think it is £1000) you get a surprise as well as knowing ou are helping to save lives! :grinning:

1 Like

The bright side is that there will hopefully soon be a test to detect many hitherto difficult to diagnose cancers. The down side of successful cancer screening is the need for capacity to treat cancer patients.

In terms of UK flu vaccination it costs significantly more to run the programme than £28m of savings (drop in the ocean) - if you have 26million vaccines administered in 21/22 flu season x £10.06 tariff to administer + whatever each actual vaccine injection consumable costs then even if there’s some overlap between the individual cohort categories, it’s a very costly programme.

Seasonal flu vaccine uptake in GP patients: monthly data, 2021 to 2022 - GOV.UK.

Yes, l have received a text inviting me to have a flu injection and deleted it as l am not interested in this moneyspinner.
I had the Covid vaccinations as l felt…you don’t mess with Covid

But the flu injection? Errrm tell me… why there didn’t seem to be any incidences of Flu last year…just Covid?
I am not buying it was because of masks!

That’s exactly what I said to a friend a while ago, too.

Mind you, there probably were people with Flu last winter, but we were swamped with nothing but Covid news - both on the news, and on here!

For all we knew, maybe some of the Covid cases were bad Flu, really.

1 Like