That Damn NC500

This is my home ground, some of it not far from where we live, some of you may recognise places from photos I’ve posted over the years, especially the beach interview. It makes me so angry, and sad that people would come up here, then do this to our once unspoiled land.
BBC Breakfast 27 Aug 2021 NC500.mp4 (dropbox.com)

1 Like

Sorry to hear that Rox, sadly I can’t view the article for some reason.

It is a beautiful part of the world Roxy I’m not surprised that people want to visit it. I suppose now the NC500 is an added attraction too.
As the article stated it only takes the odd “one person” to ruin things for everyone else but that’s one too many and it isn’t fair on local residents or considerate travellers.
What have you noticed most where you are Rox?

Broken glass, human waste, rubbish and being over run with camper vans. We have had to padlock our field gates that are on the road or they just drive in and set up camp.

Sorry about that Pauline, keep trying it may just be a glitz. have a wee look at this, kind of says it all really.
NC500 The dirty truth (facebook.com)

That’s not good.
Is it worse in the summer months?

It’s the summer months it happens, from September through to April it returns to peace, quiet and the locals. Will be glad when people can return to their usual going abroad holidays. Yes we get visitors in the summer but nothing like the past 2 years of staycations.

1 Like

We always want to think the best of people but sadly the reality is often very different, as you are seeing.

Living in a seaside town and being a Bank Holiday it is similar here, with camper vans & motorbikes occupying any space they could possibly fit into and rubbish everywhere.
The town is so busy that on Bank Holidays especially we just do not visit and many roads are virtually gridlocked from morning until evening.

It’s lovely from October until April, but from Easter until the end of September I avoid the place as much as possible.
There’s nothing else here to support the population though, so that’s the way it has to be if it is to survive as a community.

Which is a bit different to what you’re going through admittedly, but you have my sympathy because it looks pretty much like you’re going to see this for at least the next few years as more people holiday in the UK because of fears regarding overseas travel.

How disgusting that campers would dump their human waste at the side of the road. It really does take one bad apple to ruin it for others.

the dumping of waste I thought used to be an offence and a fine applied either by the police or other public officer - does that prevail here?

Presumably they would have to catch them actually doing it, Gumbud.

I understand your anger. I’d feel the same way, and it puts me off going on the NC500 route.
It isn’t only the north of Scotland, I assure you. Unfortunately, we now live in Yobland Britain. It was never like this until relatively recently.
The authorities and the lenient courts just don’t seem to understand what they’re doing to this country, but I’m afraid I can’t see any light at the end of the tunnel right now.

Hah, here in the UK we can’t stop the bu@@ers from dumping van or even lorryloads of their muck in all sorts of places where it doesn’t belong so we’ve zero chance with odd bits.
Just websearch “fly tipping” and look at the results.
:rage:

It is still an offence up here, there are proper places to empty your waste at the camp sites but these are people who don’t want to pay to stay on the camp sites so they park where they feel like it and do what they want, despite notices saying no overnight parking. A lot have been photographed and their reg numbers too, the police are slowly catching up with some.

disgusting!! - as a youngster I was raised in a large family of many uncles and aunts and cousins etc - we were poor by common standards but any untidiness either personal or public was not tolerated - it’s called by different names - family pride; personal pride ; breeding etc - were did it all disappear to - there must be plenty left still somewhere on that “green and pleasant land”?

I assume the same problem as elsewhere in this country. Consequences are so feeble that the culprits just laugh at them and continue their antisocial behaviour.

Don’t know JBR, what I do know is that there has been a good bit of, shall we say…mischief, on the part of some locals towards the culprits. :flushed: :scream: :shushing_face:

ah now that sounds interesting - are you willing to elaborate? - sounds the way to go?

Not done by me or Himself I hasten to add. But we did lock a motor home inside one of our fields, the cheeky entitled F***ers just drove in and set up camp.I asked them to leave and they got stroppy and refused SOOOOOO, late that night we went down and padlocked them in. They had a hell of a job trying to find us to release them the next morning. Finally himself let them out after he returned from the locksmiths in Wick, :joy: and all our roadside gates are now kept locked…Flaming nuisance so it is.

‘Motorhomes egged and tires slashed’ Popular hire firm warns tourists to avoid North Coast 500 - Daily Record

Quite right, in my opinion.
If people behave like that when on other people’s property - uninvited - then they get what they deserve.

I have read, elsewhere, that many Scots dislike the English. I’m not sure that that is a general feeling, but if it is I can understand why when you are assailed by our yobs in this way.
Fortunately, we are not all like that!