Tesco shakeup of non low sugar and salt item shelf positioning

Earlier, some family members went into our local large Tesco for some extra shopping only to find a mass migration taking place of many food items that were on their shopping list. One tackled customer services only to told it’s a government instruction and they were acting on HQ’s advice. All the shelves are being worked through and all items that are either not low sugar or salt or both, have to be repositioned to somewhere less convenient for the regular shopper by Oct 1st. A favourite of tinned Devon Rice had been stashed away behind the low fat & low sugar option AND higher up making selection of the standard creamier rice very difficult for the average height woman. This did not defeat my family members and a tall male gofer was summoned to reach the products required.
This is the nanny state going TOO far!!

3 Likes

Inclined to agree with that, LD. :+1:
If they only put as much thought and energy into all the ridiculous greedy pricing of everything, it would be much more helpful.

3 Likes

I think they should make it harder . Maybe you should have to climb a steep ladder before you get to the cake and chocolate especially for weak willed people like me .

3 Likes

Tesco…Oh for God’s sake…Grow a pair!
:roll_eyes:

Looking ahead somewhat I’ll be making bonfire toffee.
Perhaps Tesco will be repositioning the brown sugar, golden syrup and black treacle?
Hey ho… I’m sure I’ll find all of the above;-)

1 Like

Sounds yummy but lethal for teeth .

I could’ve sworn we lived in a free country where we have a choice. So why do they need to move stuff?

Yes, some of it is unhealthy but it’s a person’s choice to purchase anything they want.

If it makes them ill, or kills them then it’s their own fault, there is so much said and written to warn them these days.

1 Like

It won’t kill them without using up a great deal of NHS resources first :slight_smile:

Maybe, if we had a proper NHS the problem wouldn’t arise.

Besides, if the unhealthy eating kills them off, they are one less to pay out for/to!

1 Like

Agreed Muddy,
It’s a once a year thing, bonfire toffee is serious stuff!
I don’t know where all this is going, maybe they’ll hide the olives, all that sodium :wink:

What a rotten life… if you can’t have anything you like!!

1 Like

Never mind the sugar and salt… it’s the chemicals/ additives/preservatives and GM food that people should worry about.

3 Likes

Goodness, how are they going to rearrange the cake aisle? Every single item there is high in sugar :102: P’raps they’re going to ship in loads of cakes for diabetics to fill the middle shelves :roll_eyes:

I read somewhere recently it is no longer allowed to label food as being ‘for diabetics’ - will see if I can find a link.

2 Likes

Actually that makes sense, because not all diabetics react badly to the same foods. And anyway, as for ‘diabetic cakes’ any cake made with carbohydrates - e.g. flour! - will convert to sugars in the digestive system anyway - that was really just a throwaway comment of mine.

1 Like

This reminds me of when they hid cigarettes out of view on shelves with sliding doors. And still people smoke!
Will they eventually hide cakes and biscuits behind sliding doors too, and only have fat free cheese on display? :smiley:

And what about all the hundreds of bottles of Wines and Spirits, will they get hidden so as not to temp alcoholics do you think?

One day we will walk into a supermarket and all there will be on display will be miles of fruit, vegetables, and lettuce.
Just think of all those chemically grown fruit and veg - all grown and sprayed with nasties - that we are told are good for us!
We aren’t all flush enough to only buy Organic everything!

2 Likes

I agree with everything you say @Mups. It really is nothing more than a box-ticking exercise. Still, it keeps people in work (including politicians :roll_eyes:)

1 Like

Not every product can go on the middle shelves, so it doesn’t bother me if they are moving stuff around to put the healthier products in more prominent positions - I think that’s quite a good idea, actually - people who aren’t fussy would grab the healthier options by default and the customers who wanted a particular product could still buy it - and they would soon learn where to find the things they usually buy - providing the shop doesn’t keep moving stuff around every few weeks.

However, if you look at the whole of the Government legislation that is forcing larger shops to re-arrange the placement of their stock, there’s quite a lot of “downsides” to it for the retailers - and probably unintended consequences for the customers.

Shops are no longer allowed to promote the sale of high sugar, high fat, high salt foods near the store entrance or in promotional “end-of-aisle” displays, so it will affect the placing of seasonal displays and promotional items, such as Easter eggs, Christmas treats - if the shops aren’t allowed to display these in the usual prominent places, they will have to keep moving and re-arranging their main stock products to accommodate the seasonal goods on the regular shopping aisle shelves, so the usual products a customer buys are more likely to keep moving around making it difficult to find.

Another “unintended consequence” is that retailers have been saying that the restrictions only apply to the “restricted foods” but do not include alcohol or vaping products. The new regulations will likely mean a loss of sales on impulse purchases of seasonal treats and retailers will be looking for ways to make up those lost sales - some retailers have been saying if they can’t sell sweets & food treats at the impulse buying points, they may make use of the prime promotional spaces to display and promote alcohol and vaping products instead - which makes me think that maybe this legislation wasn’t properly thought through!

I’ve already noticed more “end-of-aisle” displays of cocktail drinks near the till queuing area in a local supermarket - and I did give in to the impulse and bought a bottle of passion fruit martini cocktail - it made some very nice cocktails, garnished with half a passion fruit and topped up with prosecco - but the stuff in the bottle probably contained as much naughty calories as a sweet treat - and it contained alcohol and persuaded me to consume more alcohol than I would have I hadn’t seen that display of bottles!

1 Like

Morning Mupsy… :039:
I think they used to be called ‘Greengrocers’ Mups…They went out with Stanley Mathews…
:sunglasses:

Just by existing we will take up a great deal of NHS resources Muddy…