Technology is killing libraries

Technology is killing libraries

Have not been to Library for years.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t go one anyway…bad experiences have taught me that books are best bought new, or read online (even if I don’t like reading online much) No second hand books in my house ta much.

Having said that, I realise that liberies provide much much more than just books…so to have those services cut is not a good sign for the future.

1 Like

I’m good with it, for the most part.

Technology killed horse-drawn carriages and life moved on.

As long as people have access to the resources they need. I’m on my online library literally every day multiple times a day. There are more and more resources they’re adding all the time.

I bet they even have Zoom book clubs, especially during COVID.

2 Likes

I go to my local libraries regularly, wouldn’t be without them

And if I ask for a particular book they will do a national search for 75p

1 Like

I’d love to be part of a book club, zoom or otherwise!

1 Like

There are tons of book clubs online. I’ll start a thread on it when I get a chance.

2 Likes

Ours is still busy. It even has some market stalls outside at times.

Our local one closed down a few years ago.
And the building has remained empty since.

I went thu a phase of reading a couple of library books a week, from Ian Rankin to Jo Nesbo. But found that reading was sending me to sleep, so gave up. Now watching Netflix crime series instead. Haven’t visited a library since before covid.

I like the idea of second hand books , when I travel I usually go and get a couple of paperbacks form the local charity shop to take with me .
Having read them I can just leave them or pas them on .

5 Likes

I used to be an avid charity shop “shopper”, books, frames, bric-a-brac, you name it. Even the kids got involved at times.

Then the Bed Bugs happened! :scream:

Haven’t been in one for years now.

:thinking:

Thats that conversation stopped then…jeez Pixie, well done! :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

N’ah, I’ll resurrect it.

Our library still has a few people going there to take advantage of the free computer usage.

Which brings back those happy memories of using microfilm and the related machines. Anyone else remember using them.

2 Likes

The NCC are not popular in West Norfolk. The mobile library comes round but have limited choice.

12 million for a few bookfilled bookshelves, a basic intranet and a sprinkle system!!! Give me a break.

What! Lurking in an old library book?

2 Likes

Sadly yes…apparently they love paper, and bury themselves inside the pages at the spine bit.

Goodness … yes, you mean those dinosaur microfiche things which were like a blinkin eyesight test.

Two of my local libraries are up for sale . The others survive with U3a meetings and bridge clubs and art exhibitions.
They just seem so insufferably noisy now compared to the quiet days of …ssh :shushing_face: don’t you know you’e in a library.

3 Likes

Ugh … note to Self.
Zap all second books in the microwave as soon as they enter the house.

3 Likes

didn’t some say something about the old folk spending the day in libraries as a way of keeping warm this winter??

2 Likes