Technology is killing libraries

Wrap them in a plastic bag and put them in the freezer for a week - that works too.

Not that I’m paranoid or anything…ahem

2 Likes

And don’t take them to bed.

Aye “Warm Banks” they are calling them now :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

Dex, it’s years since I’ve taken any strangers to bed.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

2 Likes

One needs a rest after spending all day on a bus.

Has a one read Creed for a Third Millennium.
It predicts that the world will get colder

Emotionally or weather-wise? :thinking:

Weather wise .
So cold that people have to move south in the winter .
Fossil fuels have run out .
In a reversal of immigration people of The Northern Hemisphere move south to hotter climes .
Emotionally people get depressed and so look for a charismatic leader to help them exists in this cold world
It’s a very good read

Vaguely, you’d sit in front of a screen and turn a little wheel to check out old articles from local newspapers etc?

2 Likes

That’s the one. Never got to use the reels, but I remember picking out something like A6 sized plastic plates and sliding those around.

2 Likes

I’m afraid you’ve lost me there Dex.
I’ve always found librarians to be very helpful and tolerant, Google isn’t always your friend :wink:

1 Like

Blimey Pixie… :astonished: I thought you were answering d00d’s post…

3 Likes

I admit I had that thought too :laughing:

1 Like

Yes - most of my research was done on those things before I bought my own PC and discovered the internet!

2 Likes

The thing that killed libraries for me is not technology - but the untamed brats allowed to run riot while their mothers sit sipping coffee, playing with mobile 'phones, and whinging about what a hard life they have!

3 Likes

Wouldn’t be without my library. In fact, I paid several visits this week, dropping off books I’d read, and collecting more.

I can usually be found in there at least once a week.

3 Likes

Technology has increased my appreciation of the library.

I joined the libraries free online audio book service.
It’s called Borrowbox
You need a library card to join
Join its really good and free :blush:

2 Likes

Libraries died when they stopped storing books and you had to order them a week before you wanted them. It wasnt the technology killed them it was the crazy way the humans introduced it into them. It became easier to go to second hand book shops or buy a kindle which really got me back into reading a lot.

Same here, but we have Overdrive (soon to go over to Libby). I also have free access to every magazine and newspaper I wish to read, (PressReader) and Ancestry.co.uk, from the comfort of my home,

I used to love our central library in town. Joined when I was about 5yrs old - been a member ever since. Did most of my homework in there when at Grammar School, used it’s excellent reference section while at Uni, and spent untold hours in there doing research.

Then …

‘They’ closed the Reference Section and made it into just Local History - interesting but not the all encompassing resource it used to be. Most of the Adult and Childrens fiction was combined and dumped in a smaller room. The main room fitted up with computers. The music section gave way to a cafe of sorts - high on prices, low on quality - with a corral at one end for toddlers. Yummy Mummy’s gossip over their coffee - the brats escape from the corral and cause havoc - no-one seems to care - if they even notice.

It has changed from a haven of peace and sanity into the 9th circle of hell - and they wonder why people don’t go there any more!!

3 Likes