Swimfeeders Health Update

Hi
Apologies for not posting as much as usual, things have been moving on.
I have been home for over a month now, discharge care has ended and back to self funding.

Self funding is not only very expensive, it also means minimal involvement and support from the statutory agencies.

You are expected to deal with things on your own.

I had, late last week, a letter about my application for Attendance Allowance.

I had tried to claim in August last year, in and out of hospital, application being put in the wrong pile etc etc.

I have been granted it under the Special Rules, which are currently the applicant has to have a certificate stating that they are not expected to live 6 months.

This was the first I knew about it, all involved had thought someone else had told me.

The thing was that the letter was not explicit on this, it did not explain it.
They have backdated my award to August last year and I should have been dead by now.

I have been off on one, causing mayhem.

I am having a top of the range stairlift being fitted, free of charge tomorrow.

I have a Genie, which allows remote management of my condition.

My Care Costs are still high, I pay around £2600 a month as a direct employer.

Social Services charge double that.

3 Likes

Wishing you well Swim . Hope you get stronger and better .

Why have they stopped your support care ?

1 Like

Sorry to hear about your tough times, Swim.

Keep your chin up!

2 Likes

Good to see that you’re still with us Swimmy… :+1:

1 Like

Ah Gibbs, I feel so sorry for you.

Instead of paying for Care, don’t you know someone who can come and do things for you and you and you pay them?

You know what a good idea is, pretend you are an illegal, get on a Dingy and they will put you in a luxury Hotel for free including food and health, sorry only trying to cheer you up. :kissing_heart:

Love and best wishes, Susie x

It’s good to see you Swimmy, take things easy…

1 Like

Lovely to be home, even if care is expensive it’s well worth it, don’t begrudge yourself, you deserve looking after xxxx

Your entitled to free discharge care for six weeks after you leave hospital, I believe, have you had the full allowance?

Now you’re home you’d be entitled to higher rate attendance allowance anyway, the Special Measures are to get money quickly to the terminally ill, so they can be more comfortable straight away

They are supposed to pay you under that scheme within two weeks of you applying anyway, so they are well out of order, raise some more mayhem! Had the prognosis of 6 months been correct you wouldn’t have lived to see the benefit of money you’re entitled to, which is terrible

But I’m very glad you’re still with us, the Genie project sounds good and a stairlift is a must (even if they do always remind me of the Gremlins film)

Accept all the help you can get and enjoy the good things xxxx

3 Likes

Thinking of you Swimmy.

Mr Swimmy great to see you’re proving your diagnosis wrong.
Keep up the good work .

A xx

Hi Swims
Good to see you posting
Take care xx

Thanks for updating us Swimmy, I think about you often, and I’m always glad to see you posting again. You are a tough guy Swim and I reckon you’ve a good few years left yet… :+1:
:weight_lifting_man:

@swimfeeders … good to hear from you.
You take care.
From the piggy messenger who brings hugs and warm wishes from your friends.
:hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs:

Aren’t you entitled to free nursing care?

Hey Swimmy so pleased to see you here I was wondering where you had got to… Keep that positive attitude Mr … we are all rooting for you xx

1 Like

Swimmy, Always remember… Creaking gates go on forever…

1 Like

And it’s always the squeaky wheel that gets the oil…
:017:

Hi

Very True OGF.

I am taking 14 different medicines, 23 pills a day plus a spray.

I will be on permanent morphine, my condition is inoperable and incurable, and is worsening.

The hospital have an annoying habit of regularly phoning my next of kin.

I am not immortal, but I am determined to die happy not a complaining miserable old git.

I have to pay the cost of my carers in full.

4 Likes

No offence meant Swim…

hi swimmy I once worked in a ‘good’ nhs many years ago - how they have fecked things up - not just in hospitals but out of them too! I do hope oz doesn’t go the same way

1 Like

Hi

Some time since my last update, I didn’t want to bore you.

Things have moved on.

I now have the full Attendance Allowance, awarded under the Special Rules, two doctors having certified that my condition is inoperable and I am not expected to live six months.

The award was backdated to November last year, so I have now beat the average and have not died in double that time period.

I am fully self funding for my care costs, the tax free Attendance Allowance is £101.75 a week.

My care costs have risen by £260 a week.

If I had never paid into a private pension, or been on benefits, I would all my care costs provided free.

I do get some things on a 100% Grant Aid and some things provided free on loan as it is cheaper for the NHS to keep me at home rather than in a high dependency ward.

I have a fantastic electric adjustable hospital bed in my lounge, which I have to spend a lot of time on, a curved stairlift with remotes, an electric bath lift, WC enclose and a commode on wheels.

The stairlift and bath lift are grant aided and mine, the other stuff is on loan.

They have also insisted on a wheelchair ramp from the vehicle access to my front door.

It is a steep rise from my front door to the crossover, and having this will mean they only need one ambulance and crew to get me into an ambulance.

We are arguing about their insistence on door widening for a manual wheelchair, no good to me at all because my hands do not work at times due to blood clots.

I am having to buy and pay for myself, a narrow, lightweight folding electric wheelchair for the bad days , the ambulance trolley they use is narrow enough to go through the doors.

Door widening is very expensive, not having to do it would save the taxpayer an awful lot of money.

These 100% Grants are only available if you have less than £20,000 in savings.

I have, my kids have had the money long before this current illness started and I have also done a massive downsize.

I now have Vascular Dementia, my blood pressure is so low at random times I cannot stand up, I have no balance and my brain does not work properly.

I lose the ability to think straight, spell and do maths.

Such is life and I am told it will get worse over time.

I was a scientist, so no problems with medication, however I have found strong evidence that natural things, such as a change of diet, can and do lead to improvements.

I am now going down this natural remedy but also taking my meds.

In a nutshell, I have always made stupid posts, now you must accept that I will make more.

You can be reassured however, that I will never post that Boris and Liz Truss were the best Prime Ministers we have ever had.

5 Likes