Supermarket prices - what have you noticed has gone up or 'shrunk'?

Cost of living has gone up unprecedentedly in recent times… as too have supermarket profits, they’ve what, tripled?

Anyway in this thread, what have you noticed has gone up and from what? (Please include the supermarket too)

#waitrose

I’ve noticed Sirloin steak has gone up from £21 per kg to £22!

Organic Milk from £1.85 to £2.10!!

Salmon has remained 3 for £10

Tbh I think pretty much everything apart from the salmon has gone up.

Coles and Woollies have both put the price of milk up from $1.35 to $1.60 per litre. Even Maccas has had price rises, I paid $22.30 for a Happy Meal, an Angus burger and large chips just a few days ago. Even worse I was not at all impressed with the Angus burger I think I would have been happier with a Big Mac.

1 Like

My Milkman has put the price of a pint up from 75p to 79p - to cover the cost of fuel.

Sainsbury’s - Kerrygold Butter - up from £2:5p to £2:15p

1 Like

Morrisons - everything :roll_eyes: Fruit & veg is creeping up daily (and quality has gone down). Chcikpeas have gone up to 99p from 65p…lentils, gosh 85p now for a tin but hey “offer price - buy two for £1.50”! I get online shopping because its a hassle to get a big shop and take it home now, but when I go to Aldi for bits & bobs…things aren’t much better. :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Almost every food item I buy at Wal-Mart went up between 50 cents to a dollar for each item. From cashews to cookies, soups and rice. All have gone up in price.

1 Like

I’m seriously glad you mentioned chickpeas. I thought it was just me!
They used to be around 40p in B&M although there were none available at all on Friday, saw them for around 95p in Iceland l think.

Things aren’t going to get better in the foreseeable future! I’m not being a misery, I like to think I have a positive outlook.
I’m also a realist!

3 Likes

Fruit and veg is up and down here like a whore’s drawers, but it is not inflation but the floods have wiped out the crops in parts of the supply chain so the price rockets up for a week or two then comes down just as fast as supply from a new area comes on line.

For example lettuces were up to $12 each at one point. Avocados are as cheap as chips because of an over supply if you like that sort of thing.

1 Like

I love Avocados but the quality is dire now. Same with mangoes…either brick hard or bruised and soft :frowning:

1 Like

@Bruce - all too often when prices go up here - they stay up!

2 Likes

The ones I have had from Sainsbury’s have been OK, Pixie.

2 Likes

Oh thats good to know, Tabby, thanks…I’ll investiagte a home shopping with them then - my nearest one is absolutely miles away. :+1:

1 Like

Was in Morrisons last week and saw my favourite bread, salt and pepper bloomer, had gone up by 10p. I have also been bemoaning the cost of a small double cream, now 95p, I think, to my older sister. While we both said I could afford it, she says why not pay it, I said, why should I? I waste half of it anyway.

Their cafe recently was selling a tiny pot of clotted cream for 55p. I then bought a pack of 4 scones, and the cream did for 3 of them. Didn’t have it last week, though.

I now look carefully at all prices and think twice about what I put in my trolley.

Don’t have a Waitrose near me, and I find their prices too high, anyway.

Dog food, gone up. Trays of Forthglade, can be £1.50 now, so I buy where it is the cheapest. Same as multipacks of Butchers trays. Recently found a pack of Cesar trays in Wilko, marked down from £6 to £2, so got them. Mix with a sachet of her regular. (The pack included duck, which I why I bought it.)

As I can read magazines through my library membership card I now save on them, and no longer pick up my favourites, Computeractive, and Writing.

1 Like

I am not saying fruit and veg won’t go up because of inflation, fuel and fertiliser prices will have an effect eventually but it is hard to tell at the moment because there are so many things affecting supplies.

When I was in Coles today there were no 3 litre bottles of milk or eggs yet plenty in Woollies, supply is all over the place with covid and the floods - nothing seems unaffected. (I ended up taking home two 2litre bottles of milk instead)

1 Like

Ready made yorkies in the chiller. January, £1.65 for 6. Now £1.95.

I’ve noticed eggs, butter ,cheese, bread in fact most foods have risen in price …my favourite apples are now 60p each.

1 Like

Even Tesco own brand salted butter has gone up from £1.49 to £1.75.
I am pleased we have the hot weather at the moment, as the butter is easier to spread and l can use less.

With the rising prices, I think people will buy less or abandon some goods. Maybe then, the supermarket bosses will see their precious profits dropping and reduce some prices…Well that’s in my, ‘Cloud Cuckoo Land’ mind’!!

1 Like

Lurpak - £9.

Yes I have streamlined more of my regular purchases as well, just to keep better track of money. I would (before all this anyway), buy one thing for using now and another one for the freezer, or an extra tin of something for the cupboard. Not any more :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Pixie, l only use the block butter. Is the Lurpak you refer to, the butter and oil stuff in a tub?

2 Likes

Yes…I just googled to see if I could find an image for you, and came across this…apparently people are selling the stuff on Ebay now! :joy: £12.69!!!

1 Like