Supermarket prices - what have you noticed has gone up or 'shrunk'?

I recall in Britain during the high inflation of the 1970s reading that whenever the price of bread went up they actually sold more bread because people living near the breadline (?) bought more and cut down on other food because bread was relatively cheap and filling.

Today I noticed that the supermarkets still sold their $1 (50p) own brand bread

1 Like

80% of what i buy has gone up,the only things that have shrunk is the size of chocolate bars/pks of biscuits etc the price did not shrink with them though ,oh and the contents of my purse.

1 Like

Just about everything has gone up and not just by a couple of pence, I am really disgusted with Morrisons. Not only have their prices gone up (sometimes two or three time in a short space of time) but also the shop I go to has become dirty - I can often smell it when I go in. The other thing I have noticed is that packs of things like spreads, cheese, etc. have reduced in size, e.g what was a 500g pack of olive spread has gone down to 450g - so not only a price increase but a reduction in quantity. I have stopped going to Morrisons and have decided to do my shop at Sainsburys on line. If I have to pay moe for things then at least I stand a chance of getting quality in Sainsburys - unlike Morrisons who seems to be going downhill rapidly in all areas of their business.

3 Likes

I agree with you on Morrisons Aerolor…smaller stuff for more expense, disgusting. I’m looking at Sainsbury’s for this weeks shopping :+1:

2 Likes

Morrisons were never good value for money.

I guess there isn’t much shops can do if the inputs have gone up and they still try to provide goods at a price people will pay. I’ve noticed that for tinned fish they now put more oil in to make up the weight. It’s so annoying.

The one consistent staple is the humble banana which appears to be the same price. it will be scary to think of how the fires in Spain and France will affect harvests. Time to stock up on tinned food, lentils and rice?

1 Like

I hae been going to Morrisons because it is the nearest Annie, but no more. The shelves and much of the frozen cabinets are empty as well as the prices becoming extortionate, e.g. cooked chicken thighs were £2.50 recently. Then the following week £2.75 and last week £3.15. The bread I buy has increased by 40p a loaf. I think my weekly shop must have increased by 50% overall in a very short space of time. Anyway - no more. Not only will I save money on petrol I will also avoid having to shop in anger. Certain times delivery is only £1. for on line shopping. I know Sainsbury’s prices will have also gone up, but at least the quality is there unlike the scabby shop that Morrison’s now is.

2 Likes

Yes I was going to say that their only competitive advantage is geographical location, so people don’t have a choice. I’ve been going to Lidl recently. The BBQ at the weekend was so much cheaper than it would have been elsewhere. They do excellent bratwurst and skinny burgers too. Nice choice of veg. “old normal” prices.

1 Like

Went to Aldi today hoping to get a small pack of chicken drums for Holly (with rice, don’t ask), but the pack was enormous, so had to buy small pack of fillets. Still, it was plenty with enough left for a meal for her tomorrow, and a spare fillet.

1 Like

Lurpak is £4 for 500 g at Sainsbury’s they’ve got plenty it’s on offer

2 Likes

I still think £4 is a bit much to be honest, but yes I suppose its worth it :smiley:

2 Likes

You’re right it wasn’t that long ago you could buy 2 packs for £6

2 Likes

Why is Lurpak so special?

2 Likes

If you tried it on a toasted bagel, you wouldn’t need to ask! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: Its devine

2 Likes

Don’t get me started on butter!^^

I buy this because it is not pasteurised:

https://www.waitrose.com/ecom/products/isigny-ste-mere-unpasteurised-salted-butter/833818-215247-215248

Currently £3.50 for 250g.

Guess how much it was when I started buying it (and what it stayed at for ages).

£3?

Nope

£2.50?

Nope!

£1.80!!!

It’s practically doubled in price! :icon_eek: :091:

1 Like

You’d have a rough time here, it is illegal to sell raw cow’s milk in Australia for human consumption that hasn’t been pasteurised (or put through another approved safe treatment).

1 Like

My grandkids love Mr Kipling French Fancies so I always have some in …they used to be £1.25 a box…yesterday I paid £2.65 can you believe such an increase? How can they justify that its outrageous

2 Likes

Sugar tax, Brexit, transport fuel costs, cost of baking them, cardboard packaging costs are rising, blah, blah, blah …I’m sure Mr Kipling would regale a huge list at you from the top window of his mansion, then wave you away dismissively!

2 Likes

I don’t know, Annie, can’t stand the stuff myself - it’s flavourless and waxy.

2 Likes

It’s so full of flavour though :frowning_face:

Do you recommend anything else? I can’t get to Waitrose since it’s across the other side of the city and I’m not doing public transport in this heat just for butter. I also like Flora light…or Bertolli because it has olive oil in it (expensive again though)

1 Like

I’ve been buying Lidl’s Danepack butter lately instead ofLurpak spreadable and find it quite good. I am more likely going to changeover to “proper” butter, i.e. the hard traditional kind, because the cost is more reasonable. The spreadable butter is not really butter anyway as it is a mix of cheap vegetable spread. I mostly use butter in cooking, so hard butter is probably better than the soft stuff. Won’t hurt to keep a bit of hard butter out of the fridge for spreading on toast etc.

2 Likes