Supermarket Clothes - do you buy any?

Apart from the occasional T shirt or slippers, I didn’t. Until about 3 weeks ago in Sainsbury’s I saw a lovely coat type thing for £22. So bought it. It’s really lovely too. Very pale soft green colour, turned up sleeves with 2 large pockets at the front. Casual type.

Today I went to Tesco’s for a change and to avoid any petrol queues. After buying a couple of books, I saw a sweater across the aisle. Exactly the same style as I bought at John Lewis for £60 about 4/5yrs ago. This one was obviously inferior quality, but it was the same lovely style and colour (sort of caramel) and only £12. Bat wing sleeves and roll neck. Oversized style, so I bought a size 6 and it’s just perfect.

How about you - yay or nay to s/market clothes?
I’m talking casual wear, not glamour or ‘something special wear’ - not even sure they do the latter anyway.

1 Like

I find the plain white T-shirts in Tesco are OK to wear under a shirt when the weather gets a little chilly. Not expensive, in fact very cheap and they do shrink slightly in the first wash, I buy them oversize to allow for that.

Although not clothes I have found Tesco towels are good value and quite good quality too. Usually they have all the regular sizes, again not expensive.
:grinning:

2 Likes

I used to buy my jeans in Tesco.

2 Likes

I have bought jumpers, joggers, nightwear, socks and undies at sainsburys. They sometimes have some pretty decent stuff. Not things I’d wear to go out but good value for slouching around the house or throwing on for a dog walk. I have also bought a lot of nightwear at tesco. They do cute cosy slippers and fluffy warm nightgowns. Usually impulse buys which is clearly their aim.

2 Likes

I used to buy their value range towels because they were so absorbent compared to the fluffy pricey version.

2 Likes

So have I - they are reasonable quality and not over priced.

1 Like

I find little difference in quality between supermarket clothing and any other retail outlet, so I now I always browse what’s on offer after all the usual grocery shopping. My biggest problem is my size. I’m a tall chap and sometimes sleeve length and inside leg measurements can cause this ‘Lurch’ trouble :wink::grin:

1 Like

I hope you don’t mind me saying Pesta, I too went to Sainsbury’s looking for a jumper and winter coat yesterday, they looked ok , but then I remembered there is a Next in Newbury, so I went down there, the quality was so much better, especially the winter coats and jumpers that I was looking for, I tried on a few jackets, which was very disappointing as the size 10 just drowned me,they didn’t have a smaller size, also the jumpers seemed to be over sized, I did buy one though and it was only £6 more than Sainsbury’s ,it was the only one left, plus it was Xs, which I have never been able to fit in, especially round the chest.i would never buy jumpers and coats from Sainsbury’s as they did look cheap in honesty, I’ve bought leggings though, even they aren’t the quality of next and surprisingly they don’t cost that much extra in next.

1 Like

I don’t know what going on at M&S Mr M who is just 6ft found all the trousers 29 “ leg he usually takes 31

It’s the same in most clothing outlets where the larger sizes sell out first. My leg is 34" and I’m very lucky if I find any locally in that leg length. Most of my trousers and jeans are bought on-line and then hope for the best🤞 . Its the same with my shoes, 14-15 sizes are very difficult to find.

I have bought in the past from Tesco, but Im buying everything online mostly , and have found some interesting shops that are not common place .

1 Like

I have bought clothes in both Sainsbury and Tesco. I don’t buy knitwear from them any more though, because I found the cuffs go baggy after a couple of wears, or the whole thing becomes very limp and lifeless. So I tend to stick with Next or M&S for jumpers and cardigans.

Throughout most of the pandemic, though, I’ve not bought many clothes at all, not wanting to go in the shops, and not really wanting to buy online without being able to feel the clothes first. And anyway, I wasn’t really going anywhere, so didn’t see the need for anything new! All changed now, of course, being double vaccinated!

1 Like

I’m a man so as is perhaps typical of both my gender and age the only time I buy clothes from anywhere tends to be when I’ve worn the ones I am wearing out. :grin:
And since lots of my clothes are older than most of the posters on social media sites other than this one that tends not to be very often, which might explain why when you look in supermarkets at clothes you will see that the vast majority of clothes that are for sale are for females.

When I do but clothes though yes I do sometimes but them from the likes of Tesco, Asda or Sainsburys but not very often because they don’t have much of a choice.

1 Like

I haven’t bought anything since my debacle with the security tag, but if I see something nice then I would buy it. Usually basic stuff for daily out & abouts, but I wouldn’t go there looking for something special. Only because I don’t think they would stock such things - do they?

2 Likes

At my age and size, I am not a fussy follower of any fashion … if it fits and I like it, I’ll buy it grateful that I’ve found something that’ll fit me :wink::+1:

2 Likes

I don’t like M and S ladies jumpers anymore . They are all too short .
I like a jumper or cardigan that covers the small of my back .

2 Likes

I like my wife’s bum for that :wink::hugs::+1:

There always one ………

I love high waisted cardigans, jumpers and jackets, they had some beauties in Next, but all to big, :grin:…most of my tops are high waisted.
On saying that, that jumper I bought is not high waisted, but it’s very warm for the winter.

1 Like

Not only have I never bought supermarkets clothes I have even looked at them. :grinning:

1 Like