Static? AAARGHHH!

When I tried to brush my hair, ready for straightening as per usual this morning, I noticed that it was full of static!
I do seem to remember in the past that the cold weather has caused this to happen before. It took at least 5 minutes to calm it with a cotton towel and holding my hairbrush in my hand before I was able to brush it again. Even then I had to spray some hairspray to stop the stragglers from flying around!
Why is this happening?
Does anyone else have this problem?
What do you do to help your hair recover?

:100:

Try touching a central heating radiator for a couple of minutes to discharge the static in your body, and put the hairbrush on the radiator or other metal earthed surface to get rid of the residual static.

Buzz Cut :laughing: :laughing:

3 Likes

What Judd just said.

They used to say don’t wear nylon underwear, but that’s not been proved!

1 Like

Summat here to look at too…

Ooh!!! I haven’t heard of doing that before Judd :slightly_smiling_face:
I shall try that tomorrow if it happens again
Thank you :kissing_closed_eyes:

I’d go for number 5 first!

:santa:

1 Like

Well I never did!!
I have learned so much already :grin:

Well… I wasn’t actually wearing erm… a… n…y…t…

I’ll stop right there I think :wink:

1 Like

What’s a head of hair, to which I presume we’re on about .

2 Likes

The best one to touch is the one with an earth strap attached to it. Touching a cold water tap will work as well if you have copper piping.

I sometimes get a shock from the car door ?

Yes, the rubber tyres keep it insulated from the ground.

People used to put hanging wires under the car to bleed it off.

Haven’t seen that done for ages.

Maybe something has been added to rubber tyres to make them conductive.

Some months ago I bought a bottle of spray on conditioner, maybe in home bargains. Would something like that help? It is lasting so long, it’s quite a bargain.

I do from some cars, but not others. Strange, isnt it.

The air is too dry. Do your hair in a bathroom after having a shower, for example.
Then you can safely wear nylon knickers and whatever else you want.

2 Likes

Basic science we were taught in grade school. We’ve been playing with static electricity since we had balloons at birthday parties (rubbing them on our heads for the shock effect). Did you not teach this to your students? Science 101 :wink:

Nylon knickers? Euww!

Static hair and a sweaty ‘lady parts’, I don’t think Rhian would like that. :slight_smile:

The impression I get of Rhian is that she does not have sweaty lady-parts (whatever they are).

Certainly not to THAT!
Nor nylon knickers!!!

Eww…