Started putting garden to bed

I’m glad you don’t mind it spreading, because it will…!!!

I have to do some cutting back today we get our garden bin emptyied every other monday and mine needs filling so as its going to be dry today i shall do some dead heading etc…Must admit i find this time of the year depressing i like it when everything is growing…

Its the same here Callumsmum, garden bins emptied same as you and there’s always a flurry of activity from everybody the weekend before as everybody wants to fill their bins!! So I will also be out there over the weekend cutting back lots of overgrown stuff :-D:-D

Likewise here too! We usually scurry round the garden on the day before the bins are due to be emptied :lol:

I thought that by now the seeds would have ripened and I could cut down the flower to save the seeds. They are there and are white but after picking a few out they are hollow inside, just a fluffy bit. I don’t know what sort it is. Shall I leave it where it is, the birds aren’t interested, is it too late for pollination?

Sorry, much too late. Better luck next year.

Oh what a shame, it was beautiful, over 10ft tall and nursed like a baby.
Thanks anyway.

Try more than one next year, I checked pollination and found this for you:

Since many sunflower varieties have a degree of self-incompatibility, pollen movement between plants by insects is important.

Thanks Eileen, I will try about six shall I? My friend grew a whopper this year by accident from fallen seeds she gives to the birds, it grew beween two paving slabs would you believe! Not fair :slight_smile: She’ll give me some of those seeds I expect. This one came on its own, I shall ask the Brownie pack this week how their’s got on.

I had two, both from scattered seed by the bird feeder and they did well; I never harvested the seed myself as the goldfinches found them first…:smiley:

Yes like you guys, winding the veg garden down. I try to be optimistic about it and instead of viewing it as a conclusion try to look at as a new begining and bolster myself by looking through the veggie section of seed catalogues and consider what varieties of different veggies to try. The onions and shallots were great here in Tayside, but although the garlic looked great, the bulbs were making good imitations of leeks

Pete :slight_smile: I have just planted some Garlic variety ‘Jolimont’ . It is the first time I have planted any and I look forward to harvesting it next year.

Meg, good luck with your garlic. You should be ok there in cosy Worcestershire. Up here, I start off the onions and shallots in 3" pots in the green house before daring to put them out. I cannot remember the name of the variety, but the cloves were given to me by a neihbour, who has had success previously. He told me they were a Canadian variety and like me had the same disappointing result, first time ever for him, so can only put it down to the topsy turvey weather we had this “summer”…yet again

Garlic likes frost, I need to plant some soon. I also need to go and get some winter onions to plant.
Weathers not been to good this year. A few of my veggies failed this year.

Thanks Pete :slight_smile: I only have two small raised beds and am new to vegetable growing. Last winter I planted leeks and purple sprouting. When I needed the leeks the most they were frozen into the ground and the purple sprouting was broken off under the weight of the snow. So I will just stick to growing garlic this winter, one bed is already taken up with strawberry plants now.

Ah yes Meg, been caught out with the “frozen in the ground” wheeze myself. Not to be out done, I boiled a kettle and watered around the leeks that I want to thaw the ground. Remember to have nets ready for your strawberries when they do produce and the birds take a fancy to them. I was just about ready to enjoy my stella cherries of a tree I planted a couple of years ago and they strippied the lot…Grrrrrrrrr!

On our allotment, we must have had really big birds. Because they ate a full bed of covered strawberries, Rhubarb, plus a few other things.

Me think these birds had shoes on:lol::lol:

Wow, they must be big, never heard of birds going for rhubarb.

I am amazed :shock: the garlic has only been planted a couple of weeks and it is up already. I thought it would stay dormant until the spring.

Even if I don’t have anything else to eat next year it looks like I will have 22 heads of garlic :lol:

You will be safe from Dracula then!.