Started putting garden to bed

Well I again cut my lawns on Saturday, hopefully that is the last for this year. The forecast for next week is the weather will get progressively colder, with a chance of early morning frost, so today I have gone over my lawns with the weed and feed, I will now cross my fingers and everything else and hope for the best.:wink:

I wouldn’t be surprised if you have to do one more cut :-D:-D I cut my back lawn yesterday and still have to do the front and side yet but lots of rain overnight means its soggy again:-D I can’t wait for it to stop growing :mrgreen::mrgreen:

Best think I did at my house was put down flagstones to make a nice patio with beds around it and no grass to mow ever again! :smiley:

I moved all my large pots containing shrubs close to the house this afternoon. I need to buy some more fleece to cover the vulnerable ones before the really cold frosts appear.

I also took advantage of the nice sunny weather yesterday and mowed the lawn (hopefully the final cut this year) and cleared up loads of Autumn leaves that always seem to find their way to my domain although I haven’t got any trees lol, swept the paths, tidied the rockeries and planted some more Spring bulbs, must admit that you can see where I’ve been and it does look nice and tidy once again.

I inherited a new garden last year so i have been busy knocking it into shape…I have been planting lots of perrenials and grasses and trying to create a cottage garden effect.I also inherited a greenhouse that looks past its sell by date .so hopefully next week i can get the hired help to hide it for me with a fence panel…I want to enter Rugby in bloom next year so i am trying to get my front garden looking good …I hate this time of the year when everything is being put away…Suppose i have some seed catalogues to read for the winter…

I went out today and lo and behold the darned lawn is still growing so it looks like a late cut at the weekend, weather permitting, talk about a labour of love lol.

Good luck with your new garden Mary, sounds like next year will be very busy for you as it all takes shape.

I have covered most my beds on the allotment. Leeks and swedes are still growing. Sweetcorn was a disappointment, To much rain not enough sun this year. Picked the last of the tomatoes today. Need to wash the seed pots, trays, and tidy greenhouse and shed for next year.

like the idea of moss it is soft to walk on the insects like it and it dosn’t need cutting …all grass is good for is cutting for animal food and bedding, when you don’t have to pay to have it taken away… have some bulbs to plant, hoping they will beat the grass and singing nettles

My back lawn is Astro Turf so it never needs cutting its great with the dog allways looks lush and green…I moved a bamboo yesterday its not large yet i bought it and i knew i had put it in the wrong place so it is now moved …I have had lots of rain in the night so i am sure everything is now well watered…I like gardening its my favourite hobby…

Oh CM, hope that’s not the sort of bamboo that’ll take over the garden! I made the mistake of planting one; looked lovely whilst it was secretly making underground runners and exploded all over the garden! I was able to keep it under control for a few years but as my health got worse it got away from me; had to hire men to come and get rid of it. And they missed some bits so it was back in no time… more expense!

it is one of those bamboos i got here last year and their are 3 mature clumps of bamboo but they are the clump forming ones and very tall and good to keep eyes out…then i went and bought one of those broad leaf ones and they do grow and run well i knew i had planted it in the wrong place so i have moved it out front where it has more room…i dont really mind it spreading where i have planted it …Its not very tall yet as its new i did notice it had produced some extra runners when i moved it…

I’m glad you don’t mind it spreading, because it will…!!!

I have to do some cutting back today we get our garden bin emptyied every other monday and mine needs filling so as its going to be dry today i shall do some dead heading etc…Must admit i find this time of the year depressing i like it when everything is growing…

Its the same here Callumsmum, garden bins emptied same as you and there’s always a flurry of activity from everybody the weekend before as everybody wants to fill their bins!! So I will also be out there over the weekend cutting back lots of overgrown stuff :-D:-D

Likewise here too! We usually scurry round the garden on the day before the bins are due to be emptied :lol:

I thought that by now the seeds would have ripened and I could cut down the flower to save the seeds. They are there and are white but after picking a few out they are hollow inside, just a fluffy bit. I don’t know what sort it is. Shall I leave it where it is, the birds aren’t interested, is it too late for pollination?

Sorry, much too late. Better luck next year.

Oh what a shame, it was beautiful, over 10ft tall and nursed like a baby.
Thanks anyway.

Try more than one next year, I checked pollination and found this for you:

Since many sunflower varieties have a degree of self-incompatibility, pollen movement between plants by insects is important.