Started putting garden to bed

nothing grew except the strawberries have dug up the herb bed and rescued some roots to pot up, and will try and grow veg there next year… big problem is what to do with the garden waste, bags are £1 each wondering if I can get it up the tip when the mobiltiy schooter is working ( needs batteries)bit too far to walk comfortbly… got a lot of strawberry runners so hopefully will have lots more next year I love strawberries
still nice out there, but mustn’t over do it or I will be ill tomorrow

1 Like

I have been doing the same this week Seaspirit :slight_smile:
Because of the drought here so many things in the garden are looking drab so I have cut back some herbs, the lavender hedge, bearsbreeches and artimesia and it is all ready to go to the tip (which only opens three days a week).

This has been my first year for the strawberry plants so I have cut off and discarded the runners until year 3.

You take care on that scooter :slight_smile:

My garden is gradually being cleared as the crops finish. It’s not been a classic year for veg, but the fruit crop has been absolutely amazing, and is still producing autumn raspberries, blackberries, apples, pears and cooking apples…the freezer is full and I’m running out of people to give all the surplus to…:shock:

Wish I lived down the road from you …

Yes that would be great Eileen, and you’d be very welcome, in fact if any of you Offers are passing then just call in and help yourselves…:lol:

You may have a queue at your door tomorrow, Barry! :lol:

Ive taken down my hanging baskets as well as my garden pots, all foliage in mi green bin, and yesterday I cut both my lawns, I hope that this will be the last cut, they both need a good scarifying, but at present it is too wet,:frowning:

All my hanging baskets have been emptied, washed and put away. The only plants that are still doing well are my geraniums…

We tend to scarify the lawns in the spring, when the grass starts to grow strongly. Our lawns at the moment look a bit ragged because of the dryness of the summer, (plus a certain puppy has been digging holes all over them looking for grubs :shock:), so we aerated them with a fork and today Mrs Plantman has top dressed them and filled in the holes with some compost and grass seed mixed, to try and green them up a bit before winter. Looks a real mess at the moment though…:blush:

I try to scarify both early and late, but at present my lawns are like water meadows, and at the best of times are subject to a lot of moss, so If i can get a good day in which to do it I will, and then go over with the winter weed and feed:frowning:

My hanging baskets still look good,had a really good crop of beetroot,beans onions and garlic.Leeks are looking good too.We’ve had a bit of rain lately, not too much and with this spell of warm weather I’m sure the grass is growing before our eyes, which means we are still mowing twice a week!

Everything seems to have dried up very early in our garden this year. The acorns are all falling and today we took down the mangers, emptied the pots and had a good tidy up. It still ooks a bit messy and like Barry’s lawn our puppy has wrecked the grass and its covered in brown patches - it looks like a bombsite. OH is sulking and talking about having to re-turf the top lawn, but I’m hoping it will come back with a bit of tlc.

I cleared away the french bean plants today and picked the last of the sweetcorn, which have been less than inspiring this year with only five decent cobs from seven plants. :shock: The runner beans have pretty much finished now after a lacklustre season, but I’m not clearing them for a couple of more weeks to mature some beans for seed next year.:cool:

Good luck with the lawn Rena, at least Oscar doesn’t burn the grass, just digs it up! :lol:

I grew nothing this year as we were going to move and then my partner died so I pulled out of the sale and purchase and am staying put for a couple of years. So next year I will be back in gardening mode :-D:-D

Also be nice to get my spa pool up and running which didnt happen this year either for the same reasons. Anyone here got one of the Lay-Z-Spa pools? They are fantastic for the money I think.

Our garden is still in full swing we don’t do veg but the roses have been good and my hanging baskets and tubs are still flowering really well they are mainly petunias pansies french marigold and geraniums my lawns have really suffered though and I haven’t cut them for 2 weeks and only have a few strands here and there they are really pathetic our garden is on a slight slope so don’t know if this is the major cause but the front lawn is 3/4 dead so it may get ripped up and some hard landscaping may go down as I don’t have the time or will to give it lots of TLC…
Sue:-)

Finally taken the rest of the bedraggled plants out of their pots and filled the green bin to its capacity (they are emptied this thursday) then started to take the unwanted plants (weeds)up out of the borders, I could only manage a couple of metres, once I get down on my knees, Its very hard for me to get up again, so slow but sure, and bit by bit, it will get done.:wink:

[/B]
I know the feeling, aitch! :smiley:

Yes it is that time of year again. We all put the winter pansies in, expecting them to flower in the winter!
But it isnt until the spring that they get going!

Sounds a bit like myself :lol:

I was given this tip about the dogs burning the grass. AND I just laughed…till I tried it. When feeding every day put a tiny spot of Tomato Sauce (about a thumb nail size) in with the feed and somehow it dilutes the dogs urine. It takes a week or two to get into the dogs system before it works properly. As I said I laughed at it…but it worked for me and my lawns are fine again.