Starmer U turn ! Do you believe him?

I cannot believe a word that man says.
Even his face and expressions puts me off listening to him.
In fact, I have to mute him.

1 Like

No, the Government cannot just take back assets which they have already sold off without compensating the shareholders - not unless we become a dictatorship which rides roughshod over the legal rights of the people who currently own or have shares in the companies which now own them!

There have been several estimates of the cost of re-nationalising everything that was previously sold off - back in 2019, the CBI estimated it would cost about £200 billion, based on “market value” - the Labour Party reckoned it would cost about £50 billion, based on “book value”

@Boot , I dont think that is what we are talking about Boot?
There is a contract in place which which limits the time that the “company”
can continue to operate on what are after all, state assets !!
At the end of the agreed time in the contract the state is free to either agree
a new contract/ end the contract/or agree a new contract with another
company!!
This is what has been agreed in a legal contract and has been agreed
and signed by both parties !!
There may be a clause in the contract to cover any rolling stock etc in
the event the contract is not renewed, but the tracks and signalling etc
remain the property of the state , who also remain responsible for their
upkeep ?? I am not sure who owns the stations ??
The operating company only leases the tracks from the state , this lease
forms the basis of the contract between the two parties !!

I think that is how it works for the railways - it works on a kind of lease contract and the Government can take them back into their control when the lease expires or if they are not performing according to contract
(That is what they did with our regional railway and it operated much better during the period when it was run by the public sector - unfortunately, once it had got back to being a good service, they leased it off again - and it’s gone downhill again)
If they want to re-nationalise railways, they could just take them all back into the public sector, as and when their lease contracts expire.

I’m pretty sure it’s the not same for all the other privatised utilities, though.
There will be a cost to get them back into public ownership.

1 Like

@Boot ,Thanks for the article Boot, but l think it should be about the
true cost of privatisation and not about the cost of re-nationalisation ??
The consumer is still paying for the privatisation !!!

Hi

Yes I do actually trust the man, he is absolutely, boringly , straight as a die, his legal background is first and foremost the way his brain works.

Unfortunately, however intelligent he is, and he his very, very, intelligent, he is not very clever.

There is a big difference.

He has not totally disposed of Corbyn, Abbott and the rest of them and they are waiting in the wings to dispose of him and take over with their lunatic agendas.

I am slightly left of centre, I am not a Communist.

Agreed 100%.

1 Like

Nancy, from London, was one among several Britons to share their views on the Tory leadership race with Express.co.uk. She bluntly told us she “would vote Labour” if Sir Keir was not in charge of the party. “I don’t trust him,” she added.

1 Like

The Question is, will the Tory Party members listen to the views of non-Members and think of the millions of possible “floating voters”, like the folk mentioned in this article, who say they would prefer Rishi to Liz - or will they vote according to the “popular choice” of the niche group of around 160,000 Tory party members?

Can only speak for myself, but if there was an election tomorrow and if either of them were PM, neither of which I’m at all impressed with, I’d vote Tory to keep Starmer out, because I don’t trust him one little bit.

2 Likes

Starmer always reminds me of them creepy Mormons or Jehovahs, who hang about the place, pretending to have all the answers, but have’nt! :face_with_raised_eyebrow: :confounded: :angry:

There is anger among Labour’s left-wing MPs and many grassroots members after Sir Keir ruled out bringing water and energy firms back into public ownership yesterday. Labour passed a motion backing nationalisation at its party conference and Sir Keir vowed to stick to the policies when he was elected as Labour leader.

It sounds like the Labour Party is still as divided as the Tory Party is now!
If there was a General Election tomorrow, I wouldn’t vote for either party - but I never have anyway!

Me neither, Boot.
I bet a lot of people feel the same, too.

1 Like

Usually I vote for the Green Party, however If there were to be a general election …I would vote tactically to prevent the Tories taking the seat . Indeed this constituency has a very good liberal member of Parliament.

1 Like

Yes, that’s exactly what I do, and indeed we have a rather good Lib Dem council at the moment, I think they’re better at councils than in Parliament

It’s a Tory safe seat here but many years ago we did dabble with a Lib Dem MP so if the tide seems to be turning against the Tories at the next election, I’ll definitely vote Lib Dem

Even if our voting system means my vote is worthless living in this area, I like to put myself on the scoreboard to swell the number who didn’t vote for a Tory government

1 Like

Excellent decision :+1:

1 Like

:thinking: Hmm, I hadn’t thought of him that way before.

I think he is at heart an honourable man. Getting “brexit done” however would test any politician or civil servant. It simply is not possible to have a comfortable, beneficial Brexit. The pain continues and will do so for some considerable time. Hey ho, we’re not likto pay for Brexit, covid or the war, so not that bothered anymore. Let the up and coming generations deal with our mess.