Spring Flowers

Yes its lovely, had to look it up on the internet though :):slight_smile: as not heard of it before.

Itā€™s what to do with all that fruit, there is only so much marmalade you can cope with, it can be candied, made into liquer, my neighbour tried that but said it was horrible. There really donā€™t seem to be many recipes for using kumquats.

Iā€™ve still got a decent display of snowdrops but have noticed that some are starting to go over now :slight_smile: Iā€™ve got quite a few daffs out and lots more still in bud and thatā€™s it for the moment. The shrubs are in bud and one or two have leaves appearing. I did have a crocus in the garden but something took care of it as the petals got pulled offā€¦ hmm wonder if it had anything to do with the mole hill next to it :-D:-D

Howā€™s your gardens coming along :smiley:

Hi Marian :slight_smile: Not liking my garden at the moment. We wondered why the previous owners didnā€™t have much in the way of plants - we now know why. It slopes slightly to one side and holds a lot of water with heavy rainfall.

The grass (if you can call it that) looks as if it belongs in a paddock. So, weā€™re seriously thinking of uprooting the grass area and laying down stones.

Other than that, we have some daffs in the garden and dwarf ones too, which cheer it up a little. :smiley:

Our garden is starting to come alive again. We have dwarf daffodils, wild primroses, the snowdrops (of course) and it wonā€™t be more than a week before the magnolia is in blossom. Everything is sprutting and the best of all we have a lovely mature camelia in full bloom, although if we have any frost it will be ruined (itā€™s to early, I think). I love it when garden plants start up again. It makes me happy and at the moment it is so mild that there is something new to see every time I go down the garden.

Oh thatā€™s a shame Carmen, have you tried aerating the wet area? I wouldnā€™t worry too much about your grass looking as if it belongs in a paddock, you want to see mine!! If you did decide to lay down stones instead your Alfie might have to thing or two to say about it :-D:-D

Ooh you are so lucky to have a mature Camelia in full bloom, I really like them so fingers crossed you donā€™t get a frost! Magnolias are lovely as well. I also love watching plants starting to come alive, I go around the garden every day now looking to see how things are coming along :smiley: well it gives me something to do :smiley:

I go artificial all the way, due to my lousy green thumb. lol

Everything shooting up now isnā€™t it? Loads of crocus, daffs and primroses. The very best thing in our garden right now is the 5ft weeping willow over Murphyā€™s place (our old dog) it is a Kilmarnock and the branches reach right down to the grass and are covered in little furry buds. Two more trees, an acer and a witch hazel over two other dogs. Sounds a bit morbid like that but all so very pretty.
Does anyone here know when I need to start sewing some Sunflower seeds I saved from that gigantic one my grandaughter grew for the brownies last summer?

Here the snowdrops are on their way out, primroses and daffodils in bloom. Weā€™re lucky, previous owners designed the garden and planted many different types of daffs. Iā€™ve had 3 casualties of the recent well below zero temperatures, a spiky grass, a flowering jasmin and a ferny type plant, all of which had survived the deep snow last year. A house around the corner has a lovely display of yellow and purple crocus on the front lawn. Iā€™m really looking forward to the bluebells coming up.

Hi Maryl, you can grow your sunflowers outside from April but you can start them off indoors from March.
We donā€™t have a problem with rabbits eating the seedlings but we do have collar doves and woodpigeons, so we start ours off in the greenhouse early March - they say the early ones grow taller :slight_smile:
Lots of buds showing everywhere but my primroses look eaten and a squirrel has dug up a beautiful bronze heuchera that was in a large low container :twisted:, Iā€™m hoping to salvage enough to take cuttings.
My daffs are still only in bud.

Thanks Janela, we (grandaughter and I) will plant lots in little pots next weekend then. If you say to keep them indoors, then thatā€™s what weā€™ll do, I havenā€™t a clue.
The sunshine since Thursday and this rain today has done everything the world of good, even more up today, husband says we have over 300 daff bulbs out there and 200 crocus it is a lovely show. Our five squirrels donā€™t attack anything but maybe thatā€™s because they have two large oak trees to keep them busy. Oh I do love Spring time :slight_smile:

Youā€™ve got a lot of daffs Maryl :slight_smile: Iā€™ve got quite a few in flower now and still lots more yet to flower. Whoever planted them has used lots of different varieties of daffs which is great. I just hope that they are able to flower without getting bashed around by wind and rain :slight_smile: Mind you if they do get flattened then I can pick them for the house without feeling guilty :slight_smile:

Your weeping willow sounds lovely especially as its over Murphy and also your other trees as well, I love witch hazel.

Janela what a shame a squirral dug up your bronze heuchera, I hope you can take cuttings from it.

Its so nice seeing everything budding and I love wandering around the garden at this time of year looking at everything budding.

Eat them with the skin, the skin is sweeter than the fruit. You can also cook chicken portions in them.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/kumquat

Sounds nice Ron.

Iā€™ve planted up what I could salvage from the heuchera, they are in the greenhouse for safe keeping.:slight_smile:
I envy you the space for 300 daffs Marylā€¦Iā€™d love to have my neighbours garden added to mine, itā€™s a bit wider and quite neglected.
Odd isnā€™t it, how we feel guilty at picking our own daffs?
Camelia and magnolia have big buds, showing colourā€¦I love spring too :smiley:

Itā€™s a big garden and he adds extra bulbs each year, they are in clumps everywhere. One year his uncle, who was a bit of a joker, gave him a coal sack of daffodil bulbs for his birthday!
This morning I noticed that the blossom is coming out on one of the apple trees, now I do know for certain that is early.

That is early for apple, I think itā€™s normally April. Itā€™s that beautiful Dorset climate of yours :slight_smile:

Here are some photos I took late afternoon in our garden, apart from the yellow tree. At the present time everywhere looks yellow with these trees, Iā€™m not sure what they are, they look lovely but they have everyone sneezing and the pollen is everywhere, cars turn yellow, everywhere turns yellow!

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a13/mzungu/2009/New%20photos%20for%202012/IMG_0546.jpghttp://i8

This is my little Lime tree, lots of blossom so Iā€™m hoping this year I might even get a lime or two.
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a13/mzungu/2009/New%20photos%20for%202012/IMG_0549.jpg

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a13/mzungu/2009/New%20photos%20for%202012/IMG_0548.jpg

oops I lost the yellow tree, here it is:

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a13/mzungu/2009/New%20photos%20for%202012/IMG_0544.jpg

Thatā€™s a lovely lily, I have a similar one but it never flowers as well as yours.:frowning:
The lime looks healthy, hope you get plenty of fruit. Strelitzia has such striking flowers, wish I could grow one here.
I believe the tree is mimosa.