Spontaneous combustion in London?

I know it’s a complex issue but I wish we could go back to having more bobbies on the beat.
I was brought up to respect the police, respect not fear.

I remember if you were pulled up by The Met during the 70’s you didn’t get aggressive and answer back, it just wouldn’t have been tolerated!

2 Likes

It was mostly the same in the 60’s too and not just in the Met.

1 Like

Hey, something we agree on! And here you hit some of the core issues. Growth has relied on credit and consumerism. This meant ditching manufacturing in favour of sectors that seem to avoid difficult workers relations (retail & services where workers are paid a pittance and have no rights) or finance (where workers are simply motivated by money and bonuses). The very high earnings for a few are often at the cost of very low wages for many. The tax system is unfair and the very wealthy avoid taking on their fair contributions. The 10 years of cuts has left so much of what was a robust infrastructure on its knees. It is always good to agree on at least some points.

1 Like

Frequently, Prior to covid I was there pretty much every week - working in the centre of London. Which, as I lived and worked there for nearly 30 years before moving to France, I would guess that I know London better than most and have witnessed its changes over that time. And even now I am back in London 5 or 6 times a year. So in answer to your question, I know London well. I’m guessing most know it less well and base their views on a single visit.

1 Like

@strathmore , Why did you leave the uk then?
You sound remarkedly like a remain voter, who got so pissed off that you
actually left ??
Might l suggest that the next time you are over here again you take a trip
to the the northern towns and dont just restrict yourself to the Londonistan
bubble you seem to be unable to tear yourself away from ??
Donkeyman! :frowning::frowning:

Again, people latch onto one thing and assume that’s the only thing. I know the west midlands, Manchester & Oldham and Newcastle well. I’ve lived and worked in all these areas and re-visit them as friends live there. I agree that there are real problems in the north of england. Austerity has really hit these places and a bit of retail has not solved things or filled the gap when manufacturing was trashed in the 80’s and 90’s.
And again, you can perhaps look into Londongrad for one of the real problems facing the UK - dodgy russian money and its influence.

That is a fascinating insight from my posts. I make no mention of Brexit. How on earth do you equate a centrist view of politics with voting to remain the EU? I’m genuinely interested.

Plenty of money from high end employment that is probably European based, hence the move to France…It doesn’t take Inspector Morse to figure that one out strathmore…
:sunglasses:

I’m well aware of that hence my question.

It’s not about race, though race and predominant “culture” within different races is a huge factor, it’s about (for want of a better word) CULTURE.

1 Like

@strathmore , l suggest we continue this chat in another thread
SM ?
We were supposed to be discussing the recent wild fires in and around
London !!
Donkeyman! :roll_eyes::roll_eyes:

1 Like

Good thinking. But to widen our discussion a bit let’s consider my background. Not from a family of existing wealth and connections. Deffo not via public school but local comp.
A high end employment (your words) derived from a good education. A good education delivered from the old days thinking when if you qualified for it, it was paid by the state with no debt at the end. That is fair and genuinely open to all. You need to go to Europe to get that now. The UK surely needs to rethink its approach to education before the high end employment only goes to kids from high end families.
European based? True, I’ve spend considerable time working in many, maybe most, European countries with European clients and teams.
And you are right - I was against the UK leaving the EU. Not because I think the EU is perfect, or that I think European countries are better in some way. Just because it struck me as a short sighted act of self harm. I guess that good education, high end jobs and broad experience add up to something.
But I do wonder if you would extrapolate from your above claim and also state the reverse? Not much money from lower end employment delivered from a poor education = ?? And thus voted leave?

1 Like

Missed that - good idea!! Apologies for over zealous posting of previous…

1 Like

Spontaneous combustion

:crazy_face:

1 Like

Quite right, Donkey.
It’s our age. Minds wander. :smiley:

@strathmore,. Bingo !!! I knew it !!
Donkeyman ! :+1::grin::grin::+1:

What is the title and topic of this new thread going to be ?

@strathmore ,Loser gets to choose!!:grin::grin:
Donkeyman! :roll_eyes::roll_eyes:

1 Like

Que?
I can only assume you are thinking that a person who would have preferred that the UK did not leave the EU is, in your head, a loser. If that is so, then you reflect the nursery school thinking that never leads to any sort of grown up discussion or outcome. This thinking afflicts UK politics and does not deliver good results or sensible debate.
I do not care to discuss with people who come to a chat with a winner/loser mind set. If you want a new thread and can make balanced comment then i may chip in. Otherwise, what is the phrase? Hasta la vista, baby, perhaps.

2 Likes

London this weekend