Spitfire found in peatbog slowly being pieced back together

Aircraft enthusiasts are building a World War Two Spitfire using original pieces of a plane recovered from where it crashed in a Norwegian peatbog almost 80 years ago.

Auchterarder-born pilot, Flt Lt Alastair “Sandy” Gunn, had flown the aircraft out of RAF Wick in Caithness on 5 March 1942 on a secret mission to photograph the German battleship Tirpitz.

Gunn’s aircraft was shot down. He was captured, interrogated, imprisoned and later executed after the Stalag Luft III “Great Escape”.

His plane, Spitfire AA810, is being restored after the crash site was located on a mountainside near the village of Surnadal, south west of Trondheim, three years ago.

4 Likes

Did they find his bike as well? Sorry couldn’t resist. I’ll get my shield. :innocent:

4 Likes

I was waiting for that! :joy:

2 Likes

Glad I didn’t disappoint :grinning:

2 Likes

The remains:

News from last year regarding the rebuild:

Obviously, it will be a long process, but worthwhile, in memory of the heroism and sacrifice of Sandy Gunn:

3 Likes

Oh thanks Omah…I didn’t know it was already news! This is fascinating how they are building back up. :smiley: :small_airplane:

3 Likes

TBH, I’d never heard about it so thanks for posting a link to the article … :+1:

1 Like

For a terrible moment I thought some awful fate had befallen one of our members and he was being superglued back together as we speak image

@spitfire

3 Likes

haha!! This made me laugh!! Knowing Spitty and his cycling adventures, it wouldn’t have surprised me at all!

1 Like

Why would a peatbog need piecing back together and what was Spitfire doing in it while it was being pieced back together? So many questions…

1 Like

OMG and I thought you were talking about me mate spittie on his saracen and he’d got himself bog down riding about??

That story is waiting to unfold Gummy.

Do we have to wait until it is pieced back together before it is unfolded?

Most certainly!!!

I’ve ordered one … :023:

Is there no end to the exciting things you find in peatbogs?

Not quite Sandy Gunn, but more a twelve year old at Hucknall airshow about 1963.

spittie ya got wings too - wow that saracen sure can fly then!!