Sourdough Bread

I’ve been hearing lately about the benefits of Sourdough Bread. Apparently it has no additives or preservatives. Most bread around is pretty tasteless and underwhelming, so I thought I’d give this feller a go. Mind you, it’s not cheap, this one from Waitrose was £3.50! Tried it this morning in a ham sandwich, but the jury’s out has to how good it is. Has anyone else been tempted? Some Artisan bakeries charge about seven quid for theirs! :wink: :laughing: :relaxed:

1 Like

Hi John :smiley: I make my own bread including sourdough (and Kombucha and Kimchi , I am a fan of fermented foods)

I bought sourdough in Waitrose but it I tastes nothing like homemade. Some bought sourdough isn’t the genuine article and contains additives so best to check the wrapper.

I hope you enjoy your bread, Bertinet is one of the better ones, I buy my live yeast from them .

3 Likes

We buy sourdough most of the time. I didn’t realise there were any “benefits” other than it’s less wishy washy.

It’s not cheap, half a loaf for £2.

It’s near impossible to find decent bread in the UK. Why is that?

1 Like

I make my own soda bread. It’s easy and also healthy

1 Like

I make my own GF bread sometimes, and have made banana bread. Not really a fan of sourdough to be honest though. :frowning_face:

I think it’s a bit of a fad, although it makes tasty bruschetta

Plus fermented foods gives some people stomach problems and bloating, headaches and migraines and histamine reactions

Best to give it a try but cut it out if you notice adverse effect…….like bad wind! :open_mouth::dash:

Don’t like the taste of sourdough bread. I make my own soda bread every couple of days.

I can’t say I have ever tried sourdough bread. I have been eating wholemeal bread for most of my adult life. For the last few decades my bread comes from the Vietnamese bakery where they make the bread. Yesterday I bought a dozen wholemeal rolls which I freeze and have one each day for my lunch.

I say Vietnamese shop but the couple who owned the bakery retired and a young Chinese couple now own it.

Meg, l once heard a baker saying that ‘Sourdough’ bread sold in Supermarkets isn’t proper sourdough bread.

I once went for dinner at a friend’s house and that was the first time l had tasted sourdough bread. It was actually very nice and was bought from Marks and Spencer’s.
I think it was quite expensive.

I do occasionally make my own bread in my bread maker but the bread l can’t resist are the small fresh Coburg Cob that Morrison’s sell at the in-store bakery… they are so delicious.
…and only 50p!

When I was young, my mother would travel to San Francisco to get their famous sourdough bread. She was so happy about it. It didn’t get me that excited but supposedly San Francisco has famous sourdough bread.

I just checked the prices and sourdough bread here isn’t much different in price than other loaves of bread, which are expensive. After making bread in my breadmachine for a while, I was shocked to see the price of bread.

1 Like

There used to be a guy on the old OFF who was very keen on making bread. cannot remember name.

bugger have I committed a sin by saying that. :innocent:

Probably, but Bakerman comes to mind :smiley:

Or Realist?

3 Likes

Yes - He gave us some delicious bread recipes.

2 Likes

I agree, Art - delicious with soup, fish pie, salad, anything really. Baked in-house so really fresh, and I’ve been known to have some left over the following day - and all for 50p!

LT, After posting here that the Coburg bread was 50p… the next time l went to Morrison’s, it had gone up to 75p!!

I buy sourdough cobs from the in house bakery at my local Lidl. A bit dear (£1.35) for what it is, but it’s meant to be a better option for type 2 diabetics such as myself.

A fifty percent rise, good grief! I know things are becoming more expensive but I can’t help wondering how many manufacturers are taking the proverbial p*ss. ((Still good value, though, imo.)

Yes, definitely good value as they are delicious.