Son won't listen

My eldest needed help and my tools yet again to cut a 6x3 wood sheet

@realspeed ,. Sometimes the teacher is just as useless ?? :roll_eyes::roll_eyes:

at least I have the tools for the job

Perhaps he was acting a bit thick in the hope that you would do it for him properly

1 Like

I hope your son never reads your post. :worried:

Mu Dad was hopeless as a driving instructor .
All he did was tell me off if I crunched the gears .
I was a nervous wreck .

Original post ammended

Perhaps He just got fed up listening to You boasting about how much better You are than Anyone else at DIY…
just saying!

Your son won’t listen to your advice ….hmmm that’s kids for ya .

1 Like

At least he has his Dad to help him, you are so blessed RS, you can almost turn your hand to anything,:+1::+1:

Apart from cooking that is…:sweat_smile::rofl::joy:…only because you told me so!..:joy:

My Son has selective hearing, Ripple, he won’t mind me posting that on here, :joy::rofl::sweat_smile:

Don’t we just love our boys!! :heartpulse::smiling_face_with_three_hearts::kissing_heart:

1 Like

I think lots of parents get frustrated when they see their kids doing stuff that the parents can see will end badly - and lots of youngsters get frustrated when their parents won’t let them do things their own way.
I guess we were all young once and had to learn by our own mistakes.

The main thing is that you don’t fall out over it and, however it turns out, that you’re still on speaking terms at the end of the wood-cutting session! :kissing_heart:

1 Like

No 2 son here as well and needed to pump his car tyres as they were well under pressure. So out shopping this afternoon popped into halfords and bought him what I hope is a decent tyre inflater 12v pump.Early chrissy pressie for him, better to have now than later.Oh a real bargain while on trhe subject. Spotted one on fleabay , like we already have, advertised as brand new for £15 against retail of £45 . Only one left in UK and only a couple world wide. So grabbed it last one the seller had as well. the one Sue has at the moment is not reliable a guessing question if it will work or not something you don’t want happening away from home.

sorry if mis spelt anywhere only my left hand has a damaged middle finger and while typing tends to decide to hit different keys than the ones I want

When I taught my youngest son to drive he ignored just about everything I said.

Example:

Me: You should have a few lessons with a driving school because I learned so long ago, things I know are a bit old fashioned
Him: No, you can teach me, I will work out what you say is rubbish.

Me: We need to practice a hill start
Him: No we don’t, it’s not part of the test

Me:Why has every car in front of you got their brake lights on and you are still accelerating?
Him: They are going too slow.

Me: You’re speeding, there is a 80kph speed limit for learners on the expressway
Him: I am not driving at 80km an hour it is too embarrassing

Me: You should have gone slower round that ( 80kph blind) corner, there might have been a broken down truck blocking the road.
Him: Well, there wasn’t.

Even more annoying he passed the practical test first go.

The only good thing was that he lost his car for 3 months under the hoon law because he spun the wheels in front of a couple of coppers when he was outside his school showing off. He still thinks if he does it again they will crush his car, I am not going to tell him that there is a time limit on that. Well, he wouldn’t listen would he?

4 Likes

Perhaps he wants you to feel wanted and needed I know I used to ask for help from my mum despite I knew I could do a better job myself just so she felt still needed.

1 Like

Oh dear, I think I sense a bit of old stag/young stag butting horns

The old men still want to be on top and know it all, the young men want to do it their own way and show them they’re not!

So, sorry old stags, you’re the parent, drop the ego and pull in your horns :deer::rofl:

Stop belittling their achievements, after all that Uni education might get them such a good job they can pay someone to do the DIY and chip in for your care home

Let them do it their way, give advice only when asked, don’t make them feel dumb and stupid, help where you can and praise them up for tackling it and the results, even if the result isn’t up to your standing

When it stops being a competition and them feeling belittled and having to prove themselves, they’ll listen more and ask your advice more. Win, win

7 Likes

Spot on @Maree :023:

Excellent advice Maree!

You brought him up to be independent and to think for himself RS… be proud he does even though he might make a few mistakes along the way. I know though its difficult to step back.

1 Like

Hi

Been young,knew better than my elders and made mistakes.

The thing is that they were my mistakes and they made me the person that I am.
Mistakes are essential to growing up

2 Likes